Mutants 2009 how to copy

A Friend couldn’t play this movie on his computer or standalones.
He owns the commercial DVD. He brought it to me to see if I could make a backup copy that he could play. I made an image of the DVD so I could work with it. He took the original with him so I no longer have it. He will return it for a refund if I can’t make a playable backup.
My intention is to create a backup for him & delete any files I have of this movie. The only Audio track is French (which I don’t speak).
I hope I can get some input & don’t violate forum rules by asking.
Here is what the disc showed in Windows Explorer & the image I created:
layer0 Folder with these files:
CONTROL.DAT 33 KB
DDPID 1 KB
DDPMS 1 KB
MAIN.DAT 3,848,362 KB
The MAIN.DAT contains the Audio & Video .
The program I was able to get video information with is DGIndex.
Video
Stream Type MPEG2 Program
Profile main@main
Frame Size 720x480
Display Size 540x480
Aspect Ratio 16:9 [3]
Frame Rate 23.976024 fps
Video Type Film 80.70%
Sequence Field/Frame
Frame Struct Frame
Frame Type Progressive
Coding Type PI
Colorimetry SMPTE 170M
Field Order Top
Coded # 7242
Playback # 6962
Frame Rpts 0
Field Rpts 2922
Vob Cell ID 1 1
Bitrate 4.905 Mbps
Bitrate (Avg) 4.733 Mbps
Bitrate (Max) 9.074 Mbps
Audio
80: AC3 2/0 192
AVIDemux shows almost the same except a frame rate of 29.27 & the audio time is double the video length. There could be a second track but nothing rips it. I could make a copy with AVIDemux to AVI but the audio was not good.
What I finally got the best result with was going with mkvmerge part of MKVtoolnix. This didn’t produce good audio. So I ripped the audio track .
I think I used DGIndex . I then used AVIDemux to rip only the Video from the MAIN.DAT .
mkvmerge was able to create a .mkv file of these which I was able to sync the Audio to the video fairly well.
The problem is when converting the .mkv to DVD compliant everything puts the Audio out of sync again.
I’ve used DVDFlick & FAVC both produce this result.
So has anyone ripped this movie another way ?
Or know what to use to keep the sync when converting the .mkv file to DVD ?

Get the free trial of VideoReDo TV Suite. Take the dvd you have made with the poor audio synchronization and use the QuickStream Fix tool on it. This may get rid of any sync problems.

If it doesn’t, there is another tool in VideoRedo to manually adjust the audio synchronization.

VideoRedo TV Suite can output as an mpeg2 file or as a complete dvd video.

AviDemux also has tools to adjust video/audio sync, but it wouldn’t be my first choice when working with mpeg2 or dvd video.

Hey cholla, just for sh*ts and giggles, re-name the .dat to .mpg and see if it plays with vlc…If it does play, then try avidemux and save as MPEG-PS with the .mpg extension, and using the ‘Copy’ profiles for both video and audio…Worth a try…Not sure why you used the mkv container and then tried to convert to DVD, since the .dat already contains an mpeg2 video stream…

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2555669] Get the free trial of VideoReDo TV Suite. Take the dvd you have made with the poor audio synchronization and use the QuickStream Fix tool on it. This may get rid of any sync problems.

If it doesn’t, there is another tool in VideoRedo to manually adjust the audio synchronization.

VideoRedo TV Suite can output as an mpeg2 file or as a complete dvd video.[/QUOTE]
Kerry thanks for the information . I’m sure VideoReDo TV Suite is a good program from what I’ve read . I want to save it’s trial for something better than this video.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2555669]
AviDemux also has tools to adjust video/audio sync, but it wouldn’t be my first choice when working with mpeg2 or dvd video. [/QUOTE]
As I will answer t0nee1 below I’ve had some limited success with AviDemux.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2555677] Hey cholla, just for sh*ts and giggles, re-name the .dat to .mpg and see if it plays with vlc…[/QUOTE]

That doesn’t work I already tried it.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2555677]
If it does play, then try avidemux and save as MPEG-PS with the .mpg extension, and using the ‘Copy’ profiles for both video and audio… [/QUOTE]
I had already tried this as an .avi but tried your suggestion.
I didn’t watch the complete movie but the .avi & .mpg both lose the audio in the last 6 minutes.Every other spot I checked had audio.

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2555677]
Worth a try…Not sure why you used the mkv container and then tried to convert to DVD, since the .dat already contains an mpeg2 video stream… [/QUOTE]
I have been playing with MKVtoolnix so I tried it. The result was good but the .mkv file when converted to DVD compliant is out of sync again.

The .dat file isn’t compatible with a lot of software .
MediaInfo just reads it as a container. G-Spot does show it as MPEG2 but doesn’t show any audio. DGIndex is where I got the information in the first post.

DVDFlick won’t load the single large .vob I created or one of the single .vobs .
It gives this error:
" C:\Users\NORAD\Desktop\TEST1\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB has no
usable video track. It will not be added to the project."
This is incorrect as there is a video track.
FAVC will load the .vob & completes the conversion but has no Audio track in the converted DVD compliant folder & files. At least one the plays.
MediaInfo shows an .ac3 audio track in the conversion.
It’s the first time those have so completely let me down.

I had a friend bring his laptop over because he has ISOBuster pro on it .I was able to Rip the 7 smaller .vobs from the .dat file with it. After using
"Find missing files & folders" then extracting those. There were no .ifo or
.bup files so ISOBuster just ripped the .vobs.
I joined those & no better results so far.

IFOEdit was able to create .ifo’s & .bup’s . This allowed me to load the .vob in PGCEdit which gave the following information.
I just don’t know where to go from there to maybe correct it.
Mock strip in IFOEdit partly completes but then gives the Windows "close the program "error.
Error loading Nav Pack VTS_01_1.vob at sector 134 in file Nav Pack identifier not valid.
First Nav Pack in VTS_01_1.vob is not of required type
PGCEdit has detected erroneous or missing time map tables in VTS 1

Maybe it will be useful for one of you to help.

PGCEdit is a complex tool I never got around to learning. I’d much rather work with separate video and audio streams and build a new dvd than muck around in the structure of an existing one. Maybe t0nee1 can give you some advice. Or Wombler…he knows a bit about PGCEdit.

When you had the audio and video streams separated, why did you make an mkv rather than a dvd-video if a dvd is what you’re really trying to have as a finished output? If the streams were already compliant to dvd specifications, I would have imported them into an authoring program. I use DVDLab Pro, which has tools for minor adjustment of audio/video sync. I’m not sure if the free ones can do this, like GUIforDVDAuthor.

Yeah unless there’s something very severely wrong PgcEdit can very easily fix the problems with the time maps.

NAV Pack errors are normally indicative of a bad rip which can result from heavily protected sectors on the original disc although needless to say this isn’t the only cause.

Anyway, the easiest way of repairing the NAV Packs is to run the files through FixVTS.

Do this first.

Then open in PgcEdit and if it doesn’t automatically offer to rebuild the time maps for you, go to the ‘Title’ menu and select ‘Rebuild all time maps of DVD’ then save.

BTW the full manual for PGCEdit is available here and I’d recommend to all PgcEdit users (as I was fairly heavily involved in its production). :bigsmile:

The compiled CHM file integrates fully with the program and is then accessible through the ‘Help’ menu.

HTH.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2556005]…BTW the full manual for PGCEdit is available here and I’d recommend to all PgcEdit users (as I was fairly heavily involved in its production). :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

See, told you he knew “a bit”. :bigsmile:

(I still prefer my methods :wink: )

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2556029]See, told you he knew “a bit”. :bigsmile:

(I still prefer my methods :wink: )[/QUOTE]

LOL.

It’s whatever works for you is best. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2555967] When you had the audio and video streams separated, why did you make an mkv rather than a dvd-video if a dvd is what you’re really trying to have as a finished output? [/QUOTE]
I was already playing around with the MKV program & other programs weren’t getting the sync right so I thought why not give the MKV a try.
It did produce a good result but didn’t convert correctly.
So far the strait to DVD programs have all produced the out of sync or no usable audio track.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2555967]
If the streams were already compliant to dvd specifications, I would have imported them into an authoring program. [/QUOTE]
So far I don’t think I have created anything truly DVD compliant.
Even the files ripped with ISOBuster Pro are questionable & only .vobs .
The .dat file contained no .ifo or .bup files. I ran AnyDVD during the rip but it didn’t show any protection or removal of protection.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2556005]NAV Pack errors are normally indicative of a bad rip which can result from heavily protected sectors on the original disc although needless to say this isn’t the only cause. [/QUOTE]
The rip methods I used are questionable as this it the first DVD I’ve seen with this file structure. I used AnyDVD but I don’t think it removed any protections or even found any.
There may have been some so it could very well be a bad rip. The single large .vob or any of the individual smaller .vobs both play correctly on VLC or MPC-HC player. It’s just when converted the problems arise.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2556005]
Anyway, the easiest way of repairing the NAV Packs is to run the files through FixVTS. [/QUOTE]
I tried that with the IFOEdit created files. It didn’t help.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2556005]

Do this first.

Then open in PgcEdit and if it doesn’t automatically offer to rebuild the time maps for you, go to the ‘Title’ menu and select ‘Rebuild all time maps of DVD’ then save.

BTW the full manual for PGCEdit is available here and I’d recommend to all PgcEdit users (as I was fairly heavily involved in its production). :bigsmile:

The compiled CHM file integrates fully with the program and is then accessible through the ‘Help’ menu. HTH.
[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
I will try the above.
I will have a look at the manual & try to learn better how to use PGCEdit.
Pretty impressive you were involved in its production.
That is way beyond my knowledge.

If you have a perfect playable (all the way through) single VOB, a good/decent conversion proggie e.g AVStoDVD, convertxtoDVD etc will convert it properly…Unless of course the app won’t even accept the file.Frankly I can’t remember the last video clip that convertxtoDVD didn’t handle and convert properly(for me)…
If you have the V&A streams extracted, not sure why you just can’t [I]author[/I] a new DVD, as suggested…Try the free GUIforDVDAuthor, or DVDAuthorGui…
AFAIK even the old ReJig app will let you import single VOB’s, at least I think it does!)
This is precisely why I have many tools/app/proggies at my disposal…You never no which one will git-er-done…If all fails, start over and re-rip if possible…
Good luck!.

Hi t0nee1, Below is what is ripped from this DVD.
layer0 Folder with these files:
CONTROL.DAT 33 KB
DDPID 1 KB
DDPMS 1 KB
MAIN.DAT 3,848,362 KB
This is the first DVD I’ve seen with this structure.
I don’t have convertxtoDVD & did the trial a long time ago.
I do have divxtoDVD but it falied.
I tried AVStoDVD it also failed.
I haven’t yet tried GUIforDVDAuthor & may give it a try.
I don’t have VirtualDub but I tried virtualdubmod.
I don’t know why it deosn’t work either .
I plan to keep trying.
The odd thing is some complete the conversion & it looks good with mediaInfo but the .ac3 audio is silent.
The .mkv file when converted produces audio that is either skippy & has other noise problems or is out of sync.
When played as a .mkv it sounds fine.
Thanks for the input.

You stated that you ripped and then joined the several vobs to a single VOB with what?..Try with Vob2mpg…Again, if you have a playable single vob or .mpg, there really is no reason for not being able to convert to DVD compliance …
You can also demux the elementary stream(s)., and then author a new DVD…Have you extracted the streams from the single vob?..To extract try DGindex and import VOB-> File->save project and demux video…You’ll have a raw m2v and ac3 file that you can author a new DVD with DVDauthorGui or similar…try it!..

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2556437]You stated that you ripped and then joined the several vobs to a single VOB with what?..Try with Vob2mpg…Again, if you have a playable single vob or .mpg, there really is no reason for not being able to convert to DVD compliance …
You can also demux the elementary stream(s)., and then author a new DVD…Have you extracted the streams from the single vob?..To extract try DGindex and import VOB-> File->save project and demux video…You’ll have a raw m2v and ac3 file that you can author a new DVD with DVDauthorGui or similar…try it!..[/QUOTE]
I will give the suggestions above atry & let you know if any worked.

[QUOTE=cholla;2555965]
I had a friend bring his laptop over because he has ISOBuster pro on it .I was able to Rip the 7 smaller .vobs from the .dat file with it. After using
"Find missing files & folders" then extracting those. There were no .ifo or
.bup files so ISOBuster just ripped the .vobs.
[/QUOTE]
This is how I ripped the several smaller vobs.
Then I used a software named : joinvobfilestool to join the vobs.

Never heard of " joinvobfilestool"…There’s also Vobmerge, works a treat!..
Good luck!

If you’re interested this is where I got it:
http://beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/joinvobfilestool.html
This is from a e-mail reply the autor sent me:

all VOB files are joining (copying in one target file) in binary mode - byte for byte, that is all.

@Wombler; PGCEdit wouldn’t rebuild the time maps .It just gave an error & wouldn’t do it. I don’t blame PGCEdit for this the .ifo files I created with IFOEdit to make PGCEdit accept the .vob were not good. Mock strip didn’t work with them either.

@t0nee1; I didn’t get Vob2mpg to accept the .ifo & .vob at all.
Your second suggestion however worked .
I used DGindex (again) as you instructed. DVDFlick was able to load the demuxed .m2v & the .ac3 file. Although I set DVDFlick for single layer target size the DVD compliant folders & files it created were 6.6GB.
I decided to use CloneDVD2 to compress this to single layer size. So I ripped it to the hard drive again. Then burned the 4.6GB folder with CloneDVD2.
The DVD is in sync & works on my standalone. So I consider this fixed.

Thanks to all for the help & especially t0nee1 who came up with the solution.
A few more questions :
Have any of you encountered a commercial DVD with this file structure ?
CONTROL.DAT , DDPID , DDPMS , MAIN.DAT
What standalone was able to play it ?
What software did you use to make a backup copy ?

Nice!!..Glad to have contributed…:slight_smile:

Have any of you encountered a [I]commercial DVD[/I] with this file structure ?
CONTROL.DAT , DDPID , DDPMS , MAIN.DAT

Can’t say that I have…:eek:

Hey cholla, just curious, did you try authoring the m2v and ac3 to create a new DVD, with an authoring app?..If not, just for giggles try it, never know!..This way no re-encoding is involved…

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2556890] Hey cholla, just curious, did you try authoring the m2v and ac3 to create a new DVD, with an authoring app?..If not, just for giggles try it, never know!..This way no re-encoding is involved…[/QUOTE]
No I didn’t . Would DVDauthorGui be one that wouldn’t re-encode ?
I know DVDFlick encodes.
Then I used CloneDVD2 which transcodes to get it to SL. So that gave it another hit.

Yes!, DVDAuthorgui would be one that wouldn’t re-encode…
http://download.videohelp.com/liquid217/dvdauthorgui.pl?p=guide1

[QUOTE=cholla;2556256]I was already playing around with the MKV program & other programs weren’t getting the sync right so I thought why not give the MKV a try.
It did produce a good result but didn’t convert correctly.
So far the strait to DVD programs have all produced the out of sync or no usable audio track.

So far I don’t think I have created anything truly DVD compliant.
Even the files ripped with ISOBuster Pro are questionable & only .vobs .
The .dat file contained no .ifo or .bup files. I ran AnyDVD during the rip but it didn’t show any protection or removal of protection.

The rip methods I used are questionable as this it the first DVD I’ve seen with this file structure. I used AnyDVD but I don’t think it removed any protections or even found any.
There may have been some so it could very well be a bad rip. The single large .vob or any of the individual smaller .vobs both play correctly on VLC or MPC-HC player. It’s just when converted the problems arise.

I tried that with the IFOEdit created files. It didn’t help.

I will try the above.
I will have a look at the manual & try to learn better how to use PGCEdit.
Pretty impressive you were involved in its production.
That is way beyond my knowledge.[/QUOTE]

Sorry Cholla I missed the update to this thread as my email has been down for the last couple of days.

Good to see you got sorted though.

As far as the very technical stuff in the manual goes most of that was down to the experts I worked with including the program’s author so I don’t take credit for any of that.

We’ve tried to make it all as clear as possible though and I learnt a lot in the process too. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]