Must Replace Opticals with SATA ~ Some Easy Questions

vbimport

I’m rebuilding my old system and keeping what I can. I had 2 HDDs and 2 opticals on IDE. I have really liked both my ASUS CRW-5224A and my Benq DVD LS DW1655, and they both still work perfectly.

But my new mb will have just 1 x IDE connector; the rest will be SATA. The economical wisdom is to put my IDE HDDs on that cable, and to replace the [perfectly good] opticals with a new one on SATA, which might cost me only $25 or $35.

Darn! I hate to do that. Choices:

— Buy an adapter for about $25 instead. Your opinions on that?

— Look for a different mb. Well, this will be AM2+. Try it. I actually DID find an AM2 (but not AM2+) which had 2 IDE connectors. But I want a bit of future in my new system: AM2+ supports AM2, AM2+, and allows the use of AM3. It is the only one that will.

— Just do the thang. Buy a replacement optical on SATA. Okay, that’s likely what I’ll do, under protest. I LIKE my opticals! So, if I do it this way, what are your suggestions for my lowest cost DVD-RW that gives me something roughly the same quality as what I have now? Even my newer BenQ is 2006, and I’m out of date since then.

(And, speaking of BenQ, I don’t see opticals with the BenQ name on them anymore. Did I miss something?)

My new system will be XP 64. Thanks for your ideas.

[QUOTE=FFFreex;2001641]I’m rebuilding my old system and keeping what I can. I had 2 HDDs and 2 opticals on IDE. I have really liked both my ASUS CRW-5224A and my Benq DVD LS DW1655, and they both still work perfectly.

But my new mb will have just 1 x IDE connector; the rest will be SATA. The economical wisdom is to put my IDE HDDs on that cable, and to replace the [perfectly good] opticals with a new one on SATA, which might cost me only $25 or $35.

Darn! I hate to do that. Choices:

— Buy an adapter for about $25 instead. Your opinions on that?

— Look for a different mb. Well, this will be AM2+. Try it. I actually DID find an AM2 (but not AM2+) which had 2 IDE connectors. But I want a bit of future in my new system: AM2+ supports AM2, AM2+, and allows the use of AM3. It is the only one that will.

— Just do the thang. Buy a replacement optical on SATA. Okay, that’s likely what I’ll do, under protest. I LIKE my opticals! So, if I do it this way, what are your suggestions for my lowest cost DVD-RW that gives me something roughly the same quality as what I have now? Even my newer BenQ is 2006, and I’m out of date since then.

(And, speaking of BenQ, I don’t see opticals with the BenQ name on them anymore. Did I miss something?)

My new system will be XP 64. Thanks for your ideas.[/QUOTE]

If you want to still use you IDE device just get a IDE card…that be the best way to go…I seen the IDE to SATA adapter but never tried them myself…I would spend a little on the card and still be able to use your IDE devices…until your ready to switch over to SATA devices…that’s my opinion…if they still work then keep them…

Thanks a lot, coolcolors. I didn’t know there was such a thing. Googling now to see what I can find.

Turned out the cheap SATA DVD-RWs suggested to me weren’t so good. A benchmark of a new SATA against my 2-year old BenQ showed the BenQ to be pretty much as good, and that SATA DVD cost $50. So if I can go the card route, I will. (Anybody know good cards/adapters??)

Hi :slight_smile:
Welcome onboard FFFreex. :iagree: :clap:
Firstly any PCI Controller Card based on SiliconImage chipsets should be fine for either SATA or IDE.
Secondly (although with such a new mobo shouldn’t be a problem), download the manual from the manufacturers site.
Check out what the SATA controller(s) onboard are etc. To ensure they support both HDD’s & ODD’s.

@zebadee, thanks for that (both the welcome and the info). Okay, now I’ll see what I can learn about PCI Controller Cards. This could be an important breakthrough in my project.

Hi :slight_smile:
Take a look here for all you could want to know about SiliconImage cards. :wink:
http://www.siliconimage.com/products/productfamily.aspx?id=3

The only thing that I would add is that since my MB has a VIA chipset, I use PCI cards that have a VIA chipset. My PC that has a SIS(Silicone Image) chipset uses cards with an SIS chipset