Welcome to the all-new media testing forums!
This is very much a work in progress, so please check back here regularly as things are apt to change. The existing media test threads will gradually be split, copied and moved into the appropriate new threads.
What’s this about?
We have an idea of creating a database of media tests that you can peruse and search, that is based on the media manufacturer and ATIP. This means that the structure of each thread and post must be consistant and accessable by the search function, so that users can find what they’re looking for.
This will require a lot of moderating by myself and OC-Freak to ensure that it works as advertised. Please do not be offended if your post is edited, moved, or even deleted, it is done in the spirit of making this work really well.
Guidelines for posting media tests:
1) There will be threads for each media manufacturer, TY, RiTEK, CMC, etc. Before posting, you must have your media’s ATIP information, and post in the appropriate thread for that media maker. (not the brand name!) If there is no thread for that maker, create one! Posting by the media brand, (Fuji, Memorex, etc.), will not be permitted in the main test threads, but may be discussed in other threads in the main media forum. You should, however, mention in the post what brand the media was sold under to facilitate searches. Post only one test per post please! Testing should always be done in the same drive your media was burned in if possible.
2) The subject of your post must include the media maker, speed rating and the speed it was burned at.
3) The first line in the post must include the drive model used for burning, and firmware version. Also the size of the burn in MB.
4) Next you should post the ATIP, copied from SmartBurn or other equivalent ATIP checker utility. Follow this with any relevant information like whether the burn was completed at full speed or if the drive slowed to complete the burn. Any other comments can go next as well. Be sure to mention the brand name the media was sold under.
5) Finally post an image of the error scan. In order to keep the size of the image to a minumum, we strongly suggest saving it in “.png” or “.gif” format. You must have a web host that allows linking for image posting to function, attaching the image file to your post will also work. If you are not able to post and link an image, you can contact me or OC-Freak about keeping your image on our server. Posts that have broken image links will be deleted. You may also simply post a text summary of the error scan.
Please consult the Media FAQ to learn how to identify your media ATIP and maker.
CDRW media is to be posted in threads marked for CDRW. ie: There is a thread for “ritek” and a thread for “ritek CDRW”.
Next I will post an example of how these posts need to be formatted