MusicDNA could replace the MP3 audio format

vbimport

MusicDNA could replace the MP3 audio format.

[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/2010/01/jPojZP.jpg[/newsimage]A new article published by Reuters reports BACH Technology plans to launch a successor to the popular MP3 music file, with the new music format able to embed lyrics, images and other information into the file itself.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/musicdna-could-replace-the-mp3-audio-format-25217/](http://www.myce.com/news/musicdna-could-replace-the-mp3-audio-format-25217/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

couldn’t most of the features be brought into mp3 with a new expanded id3 tag.

maybe, but they’re promoting MusicDNA is a way for fans to receive updated content over time from the provider, which an MP3 file could never do.

The push for another lossy format? No thanks, none for me. If downgrading quality for the convenience of putting “more” songs and features, I’ll pass. What is it with teens and twenty-somethings embrace of the more is better mentality? For those who say they cannot hear the difference between a CD and MP3, you have hearing loss my friend. MP3’s have their place (portable music). ie. I put 5 hours of songs on a CD for my car, or on my flash based MP3 player for the gym. For me, that is good enough. If in my living room, I want the best sound possible. Quality first. Enough said.

Even with CD’s how often do I really look at the artwork, I grab the cd and put it in the player. I don’t really know if you need this extra info.

It seems to be a cash grab for royalties?

FLAC is open source isn’t it? Probably no royalties? (Same with mp3?)

I guess someone just wants a format where they get a few cents from every sale.

[QUOTE=LouV68;2488573]For those who say they cannot hear the difference between a CD and MP3, you have hearing loss my friend.[/QUOTE]Interestingly, more people with hearing difficulties hear a difference between CD and MP3 than people with “normal”, “standard” ears since these fit the psychoacoustical model the MP3 format is based on :wink:

Michael

Interesting to read this, about an update able format, as I was debating whether along with my project to rip all my albums in flac for batch converting to mp3, was to scan all my CD album covers, this would be quite time consuming. But if I could just update the mp3 files with items like artwork, maybe scanning my art would be unneeded.

If this format is backwards compatible with MP3 and playable in existing MP3 players, where the extra info is stored in an MP3 file (like ID3 v2 tags), this format may have a chance of taking off, at least as a delivery format.

However, if it’s a new codec or cannot be played on existing MP3 players (without a firmware update), I doubt it would compete well with AAC or even WMA as a delivery format, never mind a codec one would prefer to encode in. Microsoft already tried with its WMA format and failed. While iTunes uses the AAC format by default and iTunes store music is delivered in AAC, even this hasn’t taken over the MP3 format, at least with the exception of being the main format used in song download purchases.

From what I understand, yes, it is backwards compatible with all existing MP3 players.

With reference to your article of 23 Jan, the annoucement of this new technology, whilst very interesting, unfortunately has raised an important issue for my company which I would like to publicise and correct. My company has been using the name musicDNA for some considerable time and we have informed BACH Technology of that with the request that they stop using the name for their new product. We have put out a press release today to re-state our products and clarify any mis-understandings - see www.musicdna.info. We are not seeking to stop them releasing their product in anyway, in fact we wish them good luck with it, but we just wish to avoid any confusion in the market place.

[QUOTE=JohnABorras;2488797]With reference to your article of 23 Jan, the annoucement of this new technology, whilst very interesting, unfortunately has raised an important issue for my company which I would like to publicise and correct. My company has been using the name musicDNA for some considerable time and we have informed BACH Technology of that with the request that they stop using the name for their new product. We have put out a press release today to re-state our products and clarify any mis-understandings - see www.musicdna.info. We are not seeking to stop them releasing their product in anyway, in fact we wish them good luck with it, but we just wish to avoid any confusion in the market place.[/QUOTE]Good luck :slight_smile: