Music you grew up to

vbimport

Everyone remembers music from their childhood and whether it’s a song you like or associate with a particular event certain songs will always remind you of the years you spent growing up.

So post a video from your childhood and let us know what or when it reminds you of.

I’ll start the ball rolling with this one which was the first single my brother bought.

//youtu.be/NJYBIr_wMww

And while I have this in my head here’s the very first single I bought myself back in 1977! :eek:

//youtu.be/qGs2m5J55kk

That video brings back a few memories too! :slight_smile:

Wombler

//youtu.be/IePTH1PWzAs

This was my favorite back in late high school/early college years. Got burnt out on CSN&Y eventually though.

//youtu.be/JMbuJXQCIvo

//youtu.be/r0c55lXRAeg

//youtu.be/1Kl46UHpSwE

How do you put the YouTube video in the post like the ones already posted ? Thanks Kerry for answering below.

These are some of the earliest “Pop” songs I listened too.
May do some C&W later

Teen Angel-Mark Dinning

//youtu.be/KG_VIcoiCFA

Elvis Presley - Flaming Star

//youtu.be/vCwufY92ha8

Only The Lonely-Roy Orbison

//youtu.be/2whGEvy13Ag

Chuck Berry - Rock And Roll Music

//youtu.be/SHeun43qcHk

BOBBY VINTON-BLUE ON BLUE

//youtu.be/wn8vK1NMK5g

Go to Youtube using your link. On the address line at the top of your browser you will see the Youtube identification for that video, which in this case is KG_VIcoiCFA

Use the [ ] marks and put youtube within them. Then put the KG_VIcoiCFA in the middle, then do a [/ ] with youtube inside there.

Alice Cooper- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq4j1LtCdww

Some very interesting stuff in there folks and a few I’ve never heard before such as ‘Sadie The Cleaning Lady’, LOL!

Here’s one from before I started buying music that I remember hearing on the radio as a young child and looking back on it now possibly started my interest in synthesiser music.

//youtu.be/_GCqFjifGsY

[B]Wombler[/B]

This is the first musical genre I was exposed to:
(trivia: this is Bonnie Raitt’s dad)

//youtu.be/CkwXDgwwpsE

And this:

//youtu.be/Ss1CXo8QMi8

[QUOTE=Wombler;2701067] looking back on it now possibly started my interest in synthesiser music. [/QUOTE]
I was about 17 when this came out . Some of the first synthesiser music I remember . Circa 1970 .
Although I remember some good electric organ music before .
Groups like Iron Butterfly , Strawberry Alarm Clock or 1910 Fruit Gum Company. To name a few.

//youtu.be/L23tsYZDYfE

[QUOTE=cholla;2701073]I was about 17 when this came out . Some of the first synthesiser music I remember . Circa 1970 .
Although I remember some good electric organ music before .
Groups like Iron Butterfly , Strawberry Alarm Clock or 1910 Fruit Gum Company. To name a few.
[/QUOTE]

They go back further than you think.

Here’s one that was before my time but was still on the radio when I was a kid and I never got tired of even all these years later. This is from 1969.

//youtu.be/ZCgoZ6wIvsQ

[B]Wombler[/B]

Wombler , After looking I consider Here Comes the Sun you posted to be the first real use of the Moog synthisizer by a band.

There was this earlier album “Switched on Bach” .
I found a small clip that I think is off the album.

//youtu.be/ehi_4JMWOIc

//youtu.be/usl_TvIFtG0

Music I grew up-to. Well this is not an easy task. The list below is only some of the music, and by far doesn’t even scratch the surface.

Girls,Alcohol and Trouble

[B][U]All Canadian Bands[/U][/B]

[B]The Guess Who[/B] - 70’s

[B]The Kings [/B]- 70’s

[B]Bachman Turner Overdrive[/B] - 70’s

[B]April Wine[/B] - 70’s

[B]Chilliwack [/B]- 70’s

[B]Trooper[/B] - 70’s

[B]Rough Trade[/B] - 70’s

[B]Saga[/B] - 80’s

[B]Jeff Healey Band[/B] - 80’s

[B]Triumph[/B] - 80’s

[B]Streetheart[/B] - 80’s

[B]Headpins[/B] - 80’s

[B]Honeymoon Suite[/B] - 80’s

[B]Toronto[/B] - 80’s

[B]Harlequin[/B] - 80’s

[B]Coney Hatch[/B] - 80’s

[B]Corey Hart[/B] - 80’s

[B]Rush[/B] - 70’s/80’s

[B]Bryan Adams[/B] - 80’s

[B]Aldo Nova[/B] - 80’s

[B]Red Rider[/B] - 80’s

[B]Loverboy[/B] - 80’s

:cool::cool:

I think the list will be long for a lot of us.
Except for the ELP & other Moog examples.
I just posted my very early years of music listening.

I was probably listening to Elvis before I even knew how to talk because my parents listened to him. But they also listened to C&W so that will always be an influence.
Songs like El Paso & Big Iron by Marty Robbins .

I wasn’t an early Beatles fan & even later only some of their music.
I realize a lot of what they brought to the USA . The Rolling Stones deserve a lot of the credit as well . Also The Doors , Eric Burdon & the Animals , & the list goes on.

For C&W I don’t want to leave out Patsy Cline , Johnny Cash or Willie Nelson.
Blue Grass Bill Monroe .
Folk Woodie Guthrie & Arlo , Joan Biaz , Bob Dylan even though Dylan has influence other genres as well , & one of my favorites Kris Kristofferson .

Jimi Hendrix , BB King . Ike & Tina Turner singing Proud Mary a CCR song.

Alice Cooper that I give credit for creating the rock band show . Sure he wasn’t the first but was the first to take it to a new level of theatrics.

[QUOTE=cholla;2701106]Wombler , After looking I consider Here Comes the Sun you posted to be the first real use of the Moog synthisizer by a band.

There was this earlier album “Switched on Bach” .
I found a small clip that I think is off the album.
[/QUOTE]

I’d heard of that ‘Switched on Bach’ thing which is I think the first commercial synthesiser music but really it sounds terrible. :slight_smile:

The Beatles did stuff on their Abbey Road album which included ‘Here Comes the Sun’ and it’s probably the first what I’d call listenable musical use.

Apparently ‘Switched on Bach’ was very successful at the time which kind of surprises me. They must have been easily pleased back then, LOL! :bigsmile:

Here’s the first metal song that captured my attention.

To appreciate just how much of an impact this had at the time listen to the other stuff in the short intro at the start which was representative of what else was around back then then. :wink:

//youtu.be/UBNNlN6D3Ww

[B]Wombler[/B]

Various Greek songs on the radio, but Michael Jacksons [B]Thriller[/B] and Jean Michel Jarre’s [B]Oxygen[/B] were the LP that I need to have on tape, back in 1985.

//youtu.be/sOnqjkJTMaA

//youtu.be/5DDEl7JnWvo

After eight years things went more brutal :bigsmile:

//youtu.be/C29EOvohtRs

and almost haven’t changed that much :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=vroom;2701257]After eight years things went more brutal :bigsmile:

and almost haven’t changed that much :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Ah the good old subtle melodies were the best eh? :bigsmile:

This song was pivotal for me with regard to synth music.

I’d never heard anything like this before when it first came out. Then again I suppose no one else had either.

Seems tame now but it was quite raw at the time.

//youtu.be/zs-eFRbgn6M

[B]Wombler[/B]

I can’t genuinely contribute since I didn’t grow up with music around, but I did grow up with film, and occasionally I find a delightful mix, such as this 1964 TELL HER NO, from the Zombies, featuring Duane Jones, the eventually delicious Judith O’Dea, Russell Streiner as her brother, and the little girl’s mom, Marilyn Eastman, who said she’d give her right arm for her daughter.

EDIT: Sorry, odd error trying to use the YOUTUBE commands… I’ll try again later.

Moving up a little in my music time line.
“Incense and Peppermints” by Strawberry Alarm Clock

The Association - Cherish

Crimson and Clover - Tommy James & The Shondells

If you have the time give this a listen.
IRON BUTTERFLY - Heavy (FULL ALBUM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKEuV0aAg8o