Music investment of the future, could it be a data file?

vbimport

I just posted the article Music investment of the future, could it be a data file?.

Many of us us have seen and felt the sting of the evolution of music. I’m not talking about the progression of Rock to Rap, I’m talking about the evolution of the medium we purchase our…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9905-Music-investment-of-the-future-could-it-be-a-data-file.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9905-Music-investment-of-the-future-could-it-be-a-data-file.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

you cant make it formatless… if you make it 7.1 channels, someone will want 16, if you make it 192khz/96bit, someone will want more… it never stops;p

I smell a new push for DRM behind this somewhere. The “file” will be encrypted somehow and will only allow one “copy” or some such baloney. Or you will have to install their proprietary software to make your copies and again be limited by that.

Not necesarily Draconian DRM, HD DVD is going to allow uploading to a Movie server, no reason music cannot allow this type of flexibility.

I think that most of the public would rather receive a tangible object when they purchase music. I guess replacing tangible media would improve record sales, since viruses and malware are on the uprise, people would format their harddrive not thinking about that digital content they have purchased.

Sheeple with limited understanding of technology will always want a physical object such as a Compact Disc…

Without us as consumers buying vinyl, 8-track, cassette, compact disc, Super Audio CD, DVD-Audio…how would these musicians continue to roll around in their hundred dollar bills?? Seems as though with the RIAA in charge of the entire music industry, they will push for a method in which consumers have to spend as much as possible. Ahhh, gotta love the fat cats that run the USA! :S

“Not necesarily Draconian DRM, HD DVD is going to allow uploading to a Movie server, no reason music cannot allow this type of flexibility.” Oh? I bet it’s an expensive proprietary server system in order to allow that. I don’t see it being allowed to happen on an open budget system made by anyone who has the ability to build one.

CD’s – like their predecessors casettes and vinyl – are dead. The same is so for video and printed matter. Dead guys walking.:slight_smile:

Definitely the future. MP3s and digital music are taking off, even in a society full of people who are so antiquated as to write cheques. In time more and more of what we buy will be just the bits and bytes, although it will take a while before it surpasses CD. I already hate CDs. They’re large and a waste of space, and a terribly old, sorry format.

This is definatly a promo for DRM which has proven not to offer any fantasic security anyway. You need a standard and you need to sell a licence for something consumers can own (i.e. artwork, linar notes etc.) I am not saying the digital downloads are going away, just people will always want to own some type of hardware with their licence. The promo is null and rather pointless.