Music giant BMG trials new CD copy protection in the U.S

I just posted the article Music giant BMG trials new CD copy protection in the U.S..

GristyMcFisty used our news submit to tell us that music giant BMG is
testing a new form of Digital
Rights Management (DRM) in the United States. The new copy protection technology
will first…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6678-Music-giant-BMG-trials-new-CD-copy-protection-in-the-U_S_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/6678-Music-giant-BMG-trials-new-CD-copy-protection-in-the-U_S_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Now that CloneCD is back in business, this protection too will become simply a nuisance, a small obstacle which requires the user only to step off the path briefly… :X

Another bunch of moron…from Sunncomm! But the bigger fools are the ones that believe this “protection” will last! Hehehe…I see some interesting times ahead! :X

its good to have a Yamaha CRW-F1:)

its good to have a Yamaha CRW-F1:)

Then again, the second ‘PC playable’ track would be of lower sound quality, particularily if encoded in Windows Media for example. Thus if someone makes a copy of the burned disc that was allowed, the sound quality would not be the same as the PCM (CD player compatible) audio on the original CD. As the posters here would say: ClonceCD should solve that! :slight_smile:
[edited by seanbyrne on 16.09.2003 23:08]

you can make unprotected copies, like it says. don’t really need clonecd for that, just if u want to copy the already put compressed files. if they add 128kbps compressed audio to a disc, then they change the bitrate from 1411 to 1539, and thus the disc maximum from 74 to 67 minutes… so with this protection, you can’t have a disc more than about 67 minutes (its really about 67:50).

They just have overburned discs. They can press 99 minute and possibly higher. But it breaks some players. Anyhow…I read that it was gonna use something called ‘biometrics’ whatever that is and had a 1 million bit encryption (which sounds suspect. would mean a pretty big audio track would it not?)

I’ve seen this cd all over the net. It seems to me this protection is not going to last.
[edited by joso__g on 18.09.2003 01:03]

If you hate corrupted CDs, you should do the following: - go to a store and buy it - return it for a refund, saying “this has special copy protection and I can’t get it to play in my CD player at home. I tried 2 different players and it didn’t work. The fine print on the package says I can return it for a refund.” The big question is, read the fine print on the package and see if there is a refund policy. Last year I bought the “More Music from the Fast and the Furious” soundtrack, and it DID have a no-questions-asked refund policy on it. The store clerk at Best Buy was very sympathetic: “Aw, man, I hope they aren’t starting this copy protection sh** on everything”. They are already aware that a certain percentage of CD players won’t handle it (especially ones that are starting to use “computer” technology in them). Our goal is to make the percentage larger and more painful for them so they abandon it. It costs them a LOT to deal with returns.

I don’t understand why they even bother with copy protections… if the cd is playable in a cd-player, then you can make a digital copy, especially if you have a optical output from the cdplayer (mini-stereo etc…) and a optical input on your computer. More and more computers come with optical in and out on them and also the newer audio cards have it as well.