Music CD's

vbimport

ok ive backed up many cds before. but for some reason i always get at least one click on my cds when backing up a legit cd. my question is why does this happen? i have a tdk 48x12x48 cdrw and use memorex and tdk brand 48x speed cdrs. this happens when i burn at 48x and at 4x although with 4x it barley ever happens. should i burn at a higher speed like 16x or maybe 24 since it is 48x media? also one more thing. the way i burn is i insert the disk into the cdrw then when its done copying i insert a blank medium. should i maybe use the cd rom to copy the music to the cdrw or should i continue to use the cdrw as the reader and the writer? thanks, sorry for the long post and for the 9 billion questions ive included :stuck_out_tongue:

better write audio on lower speeds to be sure to have less failures and good compatability with cd players.

48x is very high for audio…but some people seem to write it without problems

try to back op cd with EAC (secure reading mode) or Feurio then burn it at 4 if you have time…else try to determine your max speed

what is EAC(i see you put secure reading mode but what is that) and what is feurio? thanks

EAC (Exact AUdio COpy) is eperhaps the best audio ripper available.
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de

it is freeware and i can be used with lame/monkey audio etc)

Feurio…is very good also…it has a built in database for your audio-projects…
You have to pay for it…but it is worth every cent.
http://www.feurio.com/English/index.shtml

Feurio supports some dvd burners also (the cdrw part of course). They are working to add the option to burn dvd-audio in the near future.

Support them if you like the software

I need help from the experts regarding the most reliable music CD copier. How does CD Mate compare to EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or Nero?

Originally posted by MySens

I need help from the experts regarding the most reliable music CD copier.

How does CD Mate compare to EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or Nero?
Try [COLOR=purple]Feurio! out

IMHO, CD Mate is like Nero combined with CloneCD. A very reliable SW.[/COLOR]

agree with BoSkin

CDmate rocks…but try Fuerio (or EAC) for audio, they are made/developed for audio

Thanks to BoSkin and damiandimitri for your CD replicator advices.

In your opinion is there a possible conflict between Feurio and CloneCD. Seems to me that during a prior attempt to install Feurio, this program appeared to not get along with an already installed CloneCD. I had to uninstall Feurio and even then residual problems remained in my Windows XP Pro system. I think the problem may have been related to CloneCD’s virtual drive which I had installed! Your comments please.

but i dont want to rip my tracks. i just want to copy from cd to cd. i know nero does this but what spped should i use it at if i want no clicks and use 48x media with a tdk 48x12x48 cd burner. thanks

Copying a CD consists in ripping it to a wav file, then burning it. Nero creates a temporary wav file in a folder specified in Nero’s preferences when reading the original.
Then it burns it on the blank CD, then it erases the temporary file.

You must rip and burn sparately in order to track your problem, because it can happen because of the reading of the original as well as the reading of the copy.

Play your wav file(s) in the computer to check if there are some clicks in it. If yes, no matter how you burn, they will be in the copy.

Plextools advanced DAE, that works with Plextor drives, and EAC are the two most secure programs for reading audio CD. They look for read errors, try to correct them, and warn the user if they can’t.
Feurio has an option (disabled by default) for reporting errors (not correcting them), that works on recent drives that support “C2 error reporting”.
AccurateRip works differently. It features a database of signatures from already ripped CDs. If your CD is in the database, and the signature calculated from all the data is the same, it can tell you if your rip is perfect.
Nero doesn’t look if the source CD has errors, AFAIK.
Beware that computer drives trying to read CDs much faster than a hifi player, they can get errors even if the source CD plays perfectly in a CD player.

but i dont want to rip my tracks. i just want to copy from cd to cd.

You’ll have to rip the tracks to WAV if you want to detect where the problem is.
Clicks in burned CDRs are usually caused in the ripping process, and maybe because you’re doing it on the fly.
Rip to WAV before burning, and check if the “click” is also in the WAV.

is that click usually in similar places?

If the problem were burning quality, you would get clicks, skips and problem to read along the disc, and not only a couple of clicks. (Probably)

@MySens: Feurio warns about a lot of possible problems, including CloneCD drivers, but it usually works and it doesn’t install any driver in the system.
Maybe the problem was something like “ignore or hide media type” in CloneCD.
But Feurio is only a secure ripping program if your drive reports C2 errors and you have that option enabled. Try EAC if you need secure ripping (maybe you’ll have to burn with another program).

@Polishmafia4u

Feurio has an cd copy option and so has EAC
(but as said before all…make temporary wav files)

ok i will try that today.

minix: no, the click are always random. sometimes itll be in one spot and hwn i notice it i weill burn another copy and sometimes it comes out good and other times it has clicks in different spots.

ok i just got EAC and when i ripped the tracks, a lot of the tracks said they had sync errors and “suspicious position”. is the track no good then or are they small errors?

try to lower the rip speed or try an other drive

huh, odd. i tried ripping again and now they have no errors and almost all tracks are 100% quality except for a couple that are 99.7. seems to work fine now. maybe i had to have secure mode set. to make sure i have secure mode set i just go to EAC>Drive Options>select the “Secure Mode with following drive features” bubble and that means EAC is running in secure mode?

Try this with EAC…

Go to Drive Options.

Under the Extraction Method tab, check “Secure Mode…” (as you have already done) and then check both “Accurate Stream” and “Caches Audio” fields, but not the “C2 Error” field.

Under the Drive tab, click the “Autodetect Read Command” button to start a quick test (have an audio CD handy), then check the “Spin Up Drive” field.

Under the Offset/Speed tab, check “Use Read Sample” and “Allow Speed Reduction” fields; try out different speeds in the “Speed Selection” field (I usually go with one of the lower speeds).

Under the Gap Detection tab, your drive will have set the information here when you did the above test (mine is set to “Detection Method B” and “Accurate”).

Go to EAC Options.

Under the Extraction tab, check “Fill Up Missing”, “Synchronize Between Tracks”, and “Skip Track Extraction”. In the Priority and Quality fields, choose “High” for both.

Under General tab, check “Disable CD Autostart” and “Use Alternate CD”.

This works for me.

Oh yes, one more thing…insert your audio CD into your reader before launching the EAC program.

Generally, you want either a 100% or 99.9% quality rip.

Originally posted by MySens

is there a possible conflict between Feurio and CloneCD.

I think the problem may have been related to CloneCD’s virtual drive which I had installed!

Well, it’s kinda hard to tell, really. I mean, in my case CloneCD ( or rather its Virtual drive )
has no impact on the Feurio! behaviour - Feurio’s been working just fine all the way.
However, the Virtual drive used to cause some troubles when it came to PlexTools.
Therefore I was forced to disable it as follows :

So, as for the possible conflict between those 2, one wouldn’t exclude it.
To be more secure about it, goto : Feurio! CD Writer > Extras > System Diagnosis
and run it to see what’s happening there.
Drivers marked with a “Stop” icon often cause troubles.

Also read > [COLOR=purple]Does Feurio!® work with other burner programs?

[/COLOR]

Originally posted by polishmafia4u
huh, odd. i tried ripping again and now they have no errors and almost all tracks are 100% quality except for a couple that are 99.7. seems to work fine now. maybe i had to have secure mode set. to make sure i have secure mode set i just go to EAC>Drive Options>select the “Secure Mode with following drive features” bubble and that means EAC is running in secure mode?

No.
Well, yes, but you have to configure it correctly for your drive.

I read too fast and I thought you have a modern drive, but actually you don’t say what’s your reading drive.
That’s the problem. You’ll probably have to change it if you want to burn on the fly.

Anyway, I wouldn’t burn on the fly. I prefer to know if there were errors before burning.
Try to rip with the TDK burner and your problems will be gone, unless the CD is scratched. As you can see with EAC, your problem is ripping.

Use safe settings in EAC: “Accurate Stream” (I wouldn’t be very sure about this), enable “Drive caches audio” and disable “C2 errors”.

99.7 % is ok

nothing to worry about…could be on the original.

if really worse errors happen…eac will tell you