"Music" CD-R...any difference?

Hi All,

Thanks for the informative info here. Thanks to the advice of the forum I’ve ordered some TY CD-R’s from RIMA. In the past, I’ve always burned my music on Memorex “Music” CD-R’s and haven’t had too many problems. The discs get worse over time, but oh well. My question is, is there really a difference between CD’s sold as “Music” CD’s and, for example, the TY’s I just ordered? If I make a music CD (to play on my stereo) using the TY will it not work? Will it come out sounding worse? Whats’ the difference between those “music” CD-R’s and regular CD-Rs?

Sorry if this question is a repost, I couldn’t find other threads with this specific question.

[QUOTE=kawidood;1962178]Hi All,

Thanks for the informative info here. Thanks to the advice of the forum I’ve ordered some TY CD-R’s from RIMA. In the past, I’ve always burned my music on Memorex “Music” CD-R’s and haven’t had too many problems. The discs get worse over time, but oh well. My question is, is there really a difference between CD’s sold as “Music” CD’s and, for example, the TY’s I just ordered? If I make a music CD (to play on my stereo) using the TY will it not work? Will it come out sounding worse? Whats’ the difference between those “music” CD-R’s and regular CD-Rs?[/QUOTE]

Actually, music burned on “data” CD-Rs will work fine on most audio CD players. The so-called “music” CD-Rs are required only if you will be using a consumer standalone home audio CD recorder (such as a Sony audio CD recorder selling for $300 designed to be connected to a home stereo system) to burn the discs, as such recorders cannot record on non-“audio” CD-Rs.

As for the Memorex-branded music CD-Rs, they are made primarily by CMC Magnetics, whose CD-Rs are not renowned for longetivity. You can, however, buy music CD-Rs which use TY-made media (some of the packages of Maxell and Sony branded music CD-Rs are MIJ, and thus use TY media).

To be marked as “music cd”, the cd maker need pay loyalty to RIAA or sth like that. In other words, you may end up pay higher price.

bottom line = dont bother buying those “MUSIC” CD-R’s as there a rip off… anyone who has a PC should NEVER bother with those cause there WAY overpriced!

and as someone said there mainly for those “home cd burners”… but who really buys those anyways? (besides suckers of course lol)

just someone being greedy again! is all it boils down to… i would never support that crap.

Well if you are looking for 16x or 24x CD-Rs then the best way to get these is to buy “for Audio” CD-Rs…but i doubt anyone using a DVD burner needs those. If you have some older 16x CD burners (or even older than that) then its a different story…

Also, all “Music” or “Audio” CD-Rs use old dye technology and therefore can only handle low speed burning. I will reiterate: those with PC burners should [B]NEVER[/B] buy “Music” or “Audio” CD-Rs.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

If you have the Plextor Premium2 or Yamaha CRW-F1 or other drives with hardware audio-burning optimized, the drives with some high-grade CDR for Audio (or CDR for Master) will provide much clearer sound quality even which is able to compare with CD Recorders’ burned product.

The Memorex Music CD-Rs are rated for 80 mins, but actually you can only burn them up to 74 minutes, or you’ll get a really high amount of PIE/PIF errors going skyward after that point. You’re just better off getting a good brand CD-R like TY and making a compilation in Nero or some other music-burning software suite. It’ll play on your computer and CD player with no problems (it plays in my REALLY old 1990 CD player, so I can stand by that statement).

[QUOTE=Quema34;1963712]The Memorex Music CD-Rs are rated for 80 mins, but actually you can only burn them up to 74 minutes, or you’ll get a really high amount of PIE/PIF errors going skyward after that point. You’re just better off getting a good brand CD-R like TY and making a compilation in Nero or some other music-burning software suite. It’ll play on your computer and CD player with no problems (it plays in my REALLY old 1990 CD player, so I can stand by that statement).[/QUOTE]

:eek:PIE/PIF in CD-R?

[QUOTE=MelonGx;1964671]:eek:PIE/PIF in CD-R?[/QUOTE]

Actually, he means C1/C2 errors in CD-R.

Yes, thanks for the correction RJL, as that’s what I meant to say. Thanks for your assistance.

MelonGX, yes, those Memorex music 40X-rated CD-R show a LOT of C1/C2 errors after the 74 minute mark–it basically starts from there and goes up–not unlike a mountain on both graphs. :frowning: