Music cd protections - how to avoid them?

Seems like every music cd you can buy will soon be protected with some kind of cd protector.

I know Yamaha and Plextor are the best burners for music - they’ll eat just about every kind of music cd protection.

But I’m also the owner of a 2 year old HIFI cd burner (the one that can only burn on audio cdr) - does any one know if this hifi cd burner wilm be able to burn around every kind of cd protection - I think it might because it does not make a copy from the data (1-0-1-0-1-0) but from the music itself as it records through a coaxial cable ?

Audio cdr cost only approx twice of normal cdr - so this might be a way to avoid the music cd protections…or…??

I would say: give it a try, then you know!

Some stand-alone hifi-burners are based on a cd-rom drive, so these devices do suffer from the protections.

How to avoid them?
1 answer possible: Don’t buy them :slight_smile:

Originally posted by dr.ralph
But I’m also the owner of a 2 year old HIFI cd burner (the one that can only burn on audio cdr) - does any one know if this hifi cd burner wilm be able to burn around every kind of cd protection

I assume it is a single deck, as you speak about coax cable. Unfortunately, if I’m not mistaken, protected CDs have the SCMS flag set on “first generation copy”, so that they can’t be copied in hifi burners (but pro burners, like Tascam ones, ignore this flag).

Edit : you’ll have to go analog in order to copy them.