Music - Can It Be Evil?

vbimport

Well, a little background on the question.

My brother came up a last week and hes a preacher in his church. Fair enough, its fine by me, his choice.

What pisses me off is when he tells me my music is evil. Why? Because of its style.

I listen to metal and its sub-genres. This is by his classification evil. :a :a :a

Fair enough it isnt everyones cup of tea, but because of its style?

Nows your chance to have your say - Can music be evil?!?

I believe music can be evil, the real issue is if a person grows comfortable with it, they do not recognize it as such.

oh Religion , Religion - the World will be better without Religion , thats my opinion . Can you imagine ( in 1987 I visite a Rome and I participate at the Vatican audience with Pope ) and HE give me a SHIT. :a

No, man has been evil before metal came to existance…

V@A: He gave you a shit??? :confused:

I believe music can be interpreted in many ways. It is all in the eye of the beholder. A preacher might see “Hotel California” as a song about the devil and hell while others might interpret it as describing California and how it sucks you in. It depends on your upbringing and how much of a religious fanatic you are.

Nice post to reply to again. Of course music can be evil. Everything can be evil, just depends on how you look at it (or listen to it in this case). But saying that an entire genre of music is evil? Lots of metal groups uphold an image of being evil, but that’s all. It’s the same with music as with everything else. One person likes it, another one dislikes it. As long as we don’t start smashing each others heads for it, everything is OK. Music is one of those few things that can really touch people, in a good or bad way. You can’t have one without the other. One of my own examples: when I’m feeling bad and I play Rammstein, I get really fucked up. But on the other hand, when I’m happy and I play the same music, I start feeling really intense and even more happy. Guess it’s all in the mind.

Although I might consider R&B as evil, but that is purely personal :slight_smile:

Of course music can be evil !

it can make you so agressive that you will kill anything or do anything i say. It can also kill you.

this has nothing to do with hard rock , metal or whatever , but only one thing :

i tie you down in a basement , put a cd player there that plays " Kumbaya My Lord" over and over and over and over and over and over and over again for ten days.

You will die or at least become a drooling vegetable. 100% satisfaction. No matter what kind of beliefs you might have had.

This will also work on your brother.

It’s not a matter of opinion or belief. It’s a matter of sanity :slight_smile:

@Savannah: Make him listen some Rammstein and then ask him again… :bigsmile: Or just ignore him. I’d prefer the second possibility, because i don’t like Rammstein myself

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
[B]V@A: He gave you a shit??? :confused:

[/B]

yes , but a conversation was on political issue ( immigration of young polish )

When considering “music” are we talking about the lyrics or the music itself, can the two even be separated?

Example: Rammstein lyrics. Almost always deal with sex. Which is funny or outrageous depending on your values. Music is just fast paced and great to listen to. So if a person doesnt know the lyrics he might listen to it. However, if the preacher found out what the lyrics meant, would he listen to it again? Probably not.

it can make you so agressive

exactly the reason why i have a road rage mix for driving to.:bigsmile:

But to be more serious, it all depends on your beliefs, one person may have no objection to it. Its a matter of your morals.

But it can also be a situation dealing with desensitization. Lets say for instance that a song, tells you to go kill your family burn down a strangers house and worship the devil. Bad situation if you ask me. When someone first listens to it, they might be like, “this song is horrible”. But lets say the listened to it 20 times and they listen to similar music. Then their opinion may change to “whats wrong with this song?”

Sage advice there alexnoe, sage advice. I employed that tactic, (ignoring him) and it did work, but I was still rather annoyed at him. Well, to be 100% truthful, I used to listen to music made by Christian groups, so I still have some of those CDs which I frequently listen to. Its still as heavy as my current selection of metal, and I played that. Its still evil. :a So I then gave him the lyric booklet. And he shut up. :slight_smile:

@Flying Dutchman - Well, with most sub-genres of metal, the lyrics are not really understandable (unles you have an ear for them). So for the sake of the post, I was just talking about the music itself.

@kwkard - I realise that I probably have been desensitized, but thats ok with me. I know right from wrong. I believe that I control myself. I mean, I like Cradle Of Filth, some of their video clips really distrurbed me. But their music has rubbed off on me. Now they are one of my favourite groups :slight_smile: And their video clips are pretty cool.

What I didnt mention was the fact that I was playing it in my own room, when he came in to inspect my CDs then listen to some of whats on my PC. I mean its my damn room, my damn music.

I didnt tie him in a chair and make him listen to “Kumbaya My Lord” (Cradle Of Filth would be my torture tool of choice.) for 10 days straight. (Nice example there Mr. Belvedere, I hope I never piss you off ;))

music itself cannot be evil. its music. its just a bunch of frequencies all jumbled together. it doesnt have a conscience. it cant choose. and isnt being evil some kind of conscious decision?

Originally posted by Savannah
[B]Well, a little background on the question.

My brother came up a last week and hes a preacher in his church. Fair enough, its fine by me, his choice.

What pisses me off is when he tells me my music is evil. Why? Because of its style.

I listen to metal and its sub-genres. This is by his classification evil. :a :a :a

Fair enough it isnt everyones cup of tea, but because of its style?

Nows your chance to have your say - Can music be evil?!? [/B]

Off subject a bit but I think some people that are “Christian” take it a bit far in that anything that is not labeled Christian is “Evil”.
Funny thing though, I was looking through the web for the band “Evanescence” trying to find a copy of their cd “Origin”. No such luck. But I found numerous links to Christian music distributors, and forums talking about the Band. I soon heard an interview with the band and the interviewer was asking the band about it and one of the members said "What the f*&%$ are we doing on the Christian playlists!!! Music can’t be evil, people can.

Originally posted by ckin2001
music itself cannot be evil. its music. its just a bunch of frequencies all jumbled together. it doesnt have a conscience. it cant choose. and isnt being evil some kind of conscious decision?

Thats a very interesting way to look at it. Ill have to remember that :slight_smile:

i apply that theory to lots of things. regardless of what some book says - someone chose to read it. destroying access to something doesnt destroy the thing itself.

of course, the question arises as to whether the original creator of the music had some evil intent when creating it…which is another can of worms.

i am a big metal fan (black, gothic and doom0.
I don’t believe the music is evil…not even Black Sabath…lol

but we all must admit that some music can make you emotional…this emotion can be happy but also agression…but mostly the people who get aggressive have a background covered with aggression

hmm…did you guys evver listen to Morbid Angel ot one of the black metal bands…they are the closest to evil i guess…

Originally posted by damiandimitri
hmm…did you guys evver listen to Morbid Angel ot one of the black metal bands…they are the closest to evil i guess…

Unfair! Morbid Angel are death metal.

But I wasnt meaning lyrically. Thats a whole different discussion. Just the music itself. And why do you say that?

Originally posted by ckin2001
destroying access to something doesnt destroy the thing itself.

Thats true. It still exists even if access to it is denied.

And yeah, another can of worms :slight_smile: Perhaps in another thread? :wink:

i didn’t say that Morbif Angel isn’t deathmetal

it is just it scares people by the sound and the admosphere it creates

Originally posted by damiandimitri
[B]i didn’t say that Morbif Angel isn’t deathmetal

it is just it scares people by the sound and the admosphere it creates [/B]

Thats true.
/me aplogises to damiandimitri

For those not used to it. Or desensetized because of it I guess it could make them uneasy.