Music biz wants tougher laws to protect copyright

vbimport

I just posted the article Music biz wants tougher laws to protect copyright.

This is some bad stuff, the RIAA (Recording Industry Ass. of America, as Thereg calls them) is looking into more way to protect their products from being copied by consumers.

For those who read…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2614-Music-biz-wants-tougher-laws-to-protect-copyright.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/2614-Music-biz-wants-tougher-laws-to-protect-copyright.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The greatest threats to the US Constitution are not terrorists or military forces, but the entities within our own boundaries - politicians and corporations. Hopefully, when Generation X & Y enter into office, we will see the errors of the baby boomer generation and avoid them. In the meantime, a united boycott of hardware products that support these standards is in order.

I think you have a good point, but will the majority of the people support that ? Most of them probably don’t know much about computers…

If those copy protections are established in the US you can bet on the fact that other countries will follow.

Forcing hardware manufacturers to make changes in their products is not likely to work because as soon as an alternative pops up somewhere, their sales are really going to crash. They should think how effective this will be in the entire file sharing sceenario before going forward with it

If all hardware geeks boycotted a product, the companies would DEFINATELY notice. Although we are a minority, our group is the most influential factor in deciding what becomes a standard or popular. (ie. MP3s and File-sharing) The problem may arise when all available hardware enables these copyright protections. Then we have no choice but to purchase one of the products. Let’s just hope one company does not succumb to the RIAA/MPAA’s influence.

This wouldn’t work. It cant. If they get it implemented in the US then all everyone in the US has to do is start ordering hardware from the UK. Our politicians are quite as lame and would tell them just where they can shove their idea’s, they’d say it politely of course ;).

I got a better idea, why don’t they lower thier prices? Then I wont have to bust my *ss downloading MP3s and burn albums myself with a 60 dollar prog, on a $150 burner. I can go buy the album for 8 dollars which is plenty for the 1 or 2 decent cuts on the darn thing. And DVDs are too high too. :7

Mr Steve Heckler’s message was loud and clear, but also Mr. Heckler if we don’t buy any CD’s from your company or others that is is even more scarier for you, but not for me.

Slightly OT: Yahoo Internet Life Magazine had an interview with Aerosmith. One of the questions asked was about the whole file-sharing fiasco. They simply replied that it’s American. :slight_smile: They continued on to say that the record labels only give them $2.50 of each CD sold! I do not particularly care for Aerosmith, but I assume the same applies for other artists. These record labels see their revenues plummeting and will do whatever it takes to keep raping the customers and the artists. DOWN WITH THE RECORD LABELS! >=)

If we boycott buying CDs, the Artists win and we win. Guess who losses?

To be honest the only people this will hurt is the music industry itself, and possibly the consumers in America. How long do you think it will take after they introduce the supposed “special audio cards” before another firm somewhere in Europe or Asia jump in to fill the demand for “normal unprotected” soundcards (or even an American firm)? There isn’t, and there will never be, a law that prevents the production or sale of soundcards or PC’s that facilitate backup of music or any other media for that matter of fact. The music industry, and even more the movie industry, is walking very close to the line of what could, according to the WTO, be considered unfair business practice or hindering of international trade (I am mainly referring to the zoning of DVD’s). Preventing me from backing up my cd collection to another format, for use somewhere else or for protection, is absurd, take the following example; Say you have bought a very expensive painting including frame copyrighted to some painter. You decide to show it to your friend who lives downtown. So you, not wanting to carry the valuable picture to your car etc, decide to take a photo of it and bring that to show your friend. Now how would you feel, if to your surprise, your Kodak instamatic camera produced nothing but a blank picture!? I for one would be a tab bit angry and return the damn painting and demand my money back, and then I’d return the damn camera too! What if you like the painting so much you want to look at it whenever you get the urge, like in the car, so what do they expect you to do; hang it on the rearview mirror, NO I’d put a picture of it in the car. Maybe I want it on my computer as a desktop theme; can I not then scan my own picture?! You might think this example lame, but it has much in common with backing up music. For example a picture is not near the quality of the original painting (it’s flat/non-textured, as is the sound of MP3’s compared to cds), and even a good photograph of it would never be the same thing as having the original with frame and all. Also pictures are media and content as is music. If one likes something enough then one wants the original in most cases, with all the extras. Of course if I tired to sell photographs of it, or distribute them for free, then we have a problem. When it comes to the effects of sharing of MP3’s on the net on cd sales I think they are overrated. If someone downloads a song they don’t think is worth buying and listen to it two or three times then store it with the rest of the crap music they never listen to on their HDD then what is the harm. If they didn’t like it that much do you think they would have bought it to begin with, NO! Secondly even if the MP3’s didn’t exist they might tape it off the radio (or just listen too it there), and never think of it again, no money lost as the person in question was never a potential customer! The problem here lies with people who download songs from an album they like because they might only like two or three of them and not want to pay the, in my opinion, exorbitant price of the full cd. This however would not be an issue if instead of trying to screw your customers by spending time and money on ludicrous schemes to prevent backup of cd’s, you devised alternative methods of distribution that would facilitate the buying of single songs. To sum up I think that maybe it’s time the music/movie industry start appreciating the fact that they have any customers at all, because keep this up and that will change! // Swede_242