Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe PCIe SSD

vbimport

Does anyone know whether this is an Enterprise SSD or a Consumer SSD?
http://poweredbymushkin.com/press/92-mushkin-to-unveil-scorpion-deluxe-pcie-ssd-and-ventura-ultra-3-0-at-2013-flash-summit

I would also like to know if using this SSD in a system, like an old X58 motherboard ( Asus Rampage 111 Extreme with a 980X CPU) would using this PCI-E SSD speeds be throttled down because of the motherboard? And if so , how much?

http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/36-scorpion-deluxe-pcie-ssd

[QUOTE=alan1476;2705251]Does anyone know whether this is an Enterprise SSD or a Consumer SSD?
http://poweredbymushkin.com/press/92-mushkin-to-unveil-scorpion-deluxe-pcie-ssd-and-ventura-ultra-3-0-at-2013-flash-summit

The indications from Mushkin is that they are aiming towards people and businesses where the speed of the Scorpion will make an impact:

“We’re bringing out products that will really change the nature of the game. They will be among the fastest products available for professionals, gamers, innovators and creative producers,” said Brian Flood, Director Product Management at Mushkin, Inc.

In glancing at a few reviews, no one mentions Enterprise. However, the estimated $559 price for a 240Gb drive, $794 (480GB) and $1276 (960GB) will probably deter most consumers…

I would also like to know if using this SSD in a system, like an old X58 motherboard ( Asus Rampage 11 Extreme with a 980X CPU) would using this PCI-E SSD speeds be throttled down because of the motherboard? And if so , how much?

http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/36-scorpion-deluxe-pcie-ssd[/QUOTE]

Unless you’ve got every slot filled with high voltage drawing video cards and other cards and have a wimpy PSU, I don’t see why there would be a bottleneck with a PCIe 2 x8.

The pricing is not very competitive. They don’t look targeted at the “Enterprise” market segment, but rather at the “ultimate power-hungry” users.

In glancing at a few reviews, no one mentions Enterprise. However, the estimated $559 price for a 240Gb drive, $794 (480GB) and $1276 (960GB) will probably deter most consumers…

The following’s from RAMPAGE II Extreme PCI specifications from Asus site.

3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 support at x16, x8, x8, or dual x16 speed
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1 ( the PCIEx1_1 (black) is compatible with audio slot)
1 x PCI 2.2

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_II_EXTREME/#specifications

http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/item/36-scorpion-deluxe/837-scorpion-deluxe-240gb

Read Speed: up to 2150MB/sec
Write Speed: up to 1950MB/sec
IOPS (4K ran read) 51000 (4K ran read)
IOPS (4K ran write) 107000 (4K ran write)
MTBF: 1 million hours

1.95GB/s maximum write speed is is good and 107,000 4K random write IOPS is exceptionally good, but you have to pay nearly US$600 for a 240GB drive, as much as for a 840 EVO 1TB.

[QUOTE=yojimbo197;2705367]Unless you’ve got every slot filled with high voltage drawing video cards and other cards and have a wimpy PSU, I don’t see why there would be a bottleneck with a PCIe 2 x8.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I can get one of these at a very reasonable price, this means I can rebuild my old Asus Rampage 111 Extreme with the 980X CPU still in the board and have SATA 6.0 speeds. Very interesting indeed.:wink:

Better make sure you can boot from this device before purchasing.

[QUOTE=Dee;2705420]Better make sure you can boot from this device before purchasing.[/QUOTE]
Hmm, I took that for granted. Maybe I ought to ask lol, as I plan to make it the only SSD in the system.:wink: [B]EDIT Yes its bootable and fast[/B]
[B]Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe is powered by quad SandForce SF-2281 processors[/B]

Thought I might join to assist with this if thats ok…see some familiar names and hey folks; hope my joining to assist the OP is ok.

We tested the Scorpion Deluxe and there are some real benefits you might want to consider before nailing that pricepoint as high. First and foremost, the PCIe SSD is plug and play which is relatively new to the market. It is really the only PCIe mass marketed right now that is plug and play.

Next up, the performance on this device is amazing at 1.9GB/s read and 1.6GB/s at steady state which only came down slightly from the FOB testing at 2.1GB/s read and 1.9GB/s write. Ok so we have the most powerful…and only…consumer plug and play PCIe on the market right now. Personally, I think the price point they listed is rather value conscious when we consider there facts.

Availability is going to be your difficulty as these have been selling like hotcakes and are vey limited still everywhere.

In any case, I hope the site doesnt mind but this is our link to [B]that review[/B] and [B]this includes[/B] a couple others where we have done comparisons with that drive in them. Hope this helps as we are the only to have reviewed the drive to this point!

[QUOTE=TheSSDReview;2705519]Thought I might join to assist with this if thats ok…see some familiar names and hey folks; hope my joining to assist the OP is ok.

We tested the Scorpion Deluxe and there are some real benefits you might want to consider before nailing that pricepoint as high. First and foremost, the PCIe SSD is plug and play which is relatively new to the market. It is really the only PCIe mass marketed right now that is plug and play.

Next up, the performance on this device is amazing at 1.9GB/s read and 1.6GB/s at steady state which only came down slightly from the FOB testing at 2.1GB/s read and 1.9GB/s write. Ok so we have the most powerful…and only…consumer plug and play PCIe on the market right now. Personally, I think the price point they listed is rather value conscious when we consider there facts.

Availability is going to be your difficulty as these have been selling like hotcakes and are vey limited still everywhere.

In any case, I hope the site doesnt mind but this is our link to [B]that review[/B] and [B]this includes[/B] a couple others where we have done comparisons with that drive in them. Hope this helps as we are the only to have reviewed the drive to this point![/QUOTE]
Hi Les, thank you for your valuable information, you are welcome to post here any time you please. Don’t feel as if your posts are not welcome here. Anytime someone, I don’t care who it is, has information that our membership is interested in, it will be appreciated. When I posted a link on your forum about our new Oakgate testing, you were a gentleman and the post is still there. Thanks again for the information.:wink:

Great to see you here TheSSDReview!

Thanks for the great welcome and hopefully my info helped somewhat. Many times websites care more of their precious traffic than actually allowing someone to provide links that assist in or solve a problem.

Personally… I think the price is right no this SSD for the power user looking for those speeds!

test?

[QUOTE=TheSSDReview;2705597]test?[/QUOTE]
We had a small issue with the forum, I PMd you at your forum, I am so sorry.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2705373]The pricing is not very competitive. They don’t look targeted at the “Enterprise” market segment, but rather at the “ultimate power-hungry” users.

The following’s from RAMPAGE II Extreme PCI specifications from Asus site.

http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/RAMPAGE_II_EXTREME/#specifications

http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog/item/36-scorpion-deluxe/837-scorpion-deluxe-240gb

1.95GB/s maximum write speed is is good and 107,000 4K random write IOPS is exceptionally good, but you have to pay nearly US$600 for a 240GB drive, as much as for a 840 EVO 1TB.[/QUOTE]

You need to check prices as I’ve Found the 240 for $349.00 USD

[QUOTE=BillB0B;2706037]You need to check prices as I’ve Found the 240 for $349.00 USD[/QUOTE]

That was just part of the quote from the starting post.

Also here:

The operating temperature is listed as being from 0-70DegC and we measured the outer casing at just over 60DegC when we were testing at steady state 4K access. As we received an e-mail from an ecstatic new Mushkin Scorpion Deluxe owner just prior to publishing, availability should be ramping up at most major e-tailers soon enough. Pricing could be found at $559 (240GB). $794 (480GB) and $1276 (960GB) but we couldn’t find a suggested price for the 2TB capacity.

If you found much lower prices, please share.

[QUOTE=TheSSDReview;2705595]Thanks for the great welcome and hopefully my info helped somewhat. Many times websites care more of their precious traffic than actually allowing someone to provide links that assist in or solve a problem.

Personally… I think the price is right no this SSD for the power user looking for those speeds![/QUOTE]

You’ve got some very interesting reviews there like this: