Murdoch: Avatar DVD won't be 3D

vbimport

Murdoch: Avatar DVD won’t be 3D.

[newsimage]http://static.myce.com/images_posts/2010/02/B6xvXm.jpg[/newsimage]News Corp. CEO Robert Murdoch confirmed the DVD release of Avatar won't have 3D support, with no word on a possible 3D Blu-ray version.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/murdoch-avatar-dvd-wont-be-3d-25633/](http://www.myce.com/news/murdoch-avatar-dvd-wont-be-3d-25633/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Does anyone still buy DVD’s? Why?

Avatar on Bluray 3D is gonna spur sales of 3D HDTV’s, and 3D Bluray players or PS3’s :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m buying the 3D edition when it comes out … and one day, I might even buy a 3D TV :stuck_out_tongue:

Since I used a ps3, I’ll probably buy the 3d version, and if my TV ever dies, i’ll replace it with a 3d version.

just another reason i’m glad i bought a ps3 as my bluray player.

I think the lack of 3D on the Avatar DVD will cause it to sell less. Even if they would add the crappy red/green/blue 3D like with Journey to the center of the earth, it would make it sell better. Obviously the Blu-ray edition with good 3D support will be the best.

I doubt it. Anyone that hasn’t forked out for a $200 Bluray player yet, is not likely to fork out for a new 3D TV.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2491351]Even if they would add the crappy red/green/blue 3D like with Journey to the center of the earth, it would make it sell better. Obviously the Blu-ray edition with good 3D support will be the best.[/QUOTE]
Somehow, I don’t expect many will be forking out the $200US … PER PAIR … for the shutter 3D glasses.

It’s not about the best technology, it’s about the cheapest :wink: especially now when 1/2 the world is out of work.

The glasses are expected to cost near $200 US per pair? If that’s the case, I can’t see 3DTV’s and 3D Blu-ray becoming very popular…

lol @ the price point!

Why do people always assume something won’t catch on because it’s expensive.

people said the same thing about bluray and dvd when the came out (As well as hdtv’s).

price’s drop over time, as the technology gets cheaper to produce… look at how much cheaper bluray technology is today then it was 2 years ago… 3d might not catch on right away (or ever), but in the long run, I don’t think its the price point that would keep it from catch on. I imagine and some point the 3d tech will be included in all new hdtv’s.

Did anybody read this story…there is no 3D planned. Why does everyone say they are buying the 3D version? Blu-ray sales are somewhere around 10% of total sales, so yes, a lot of people are still buying DVDs.

Actually it doesn’t say no 3d and or blu-ray planned…“News Corp. CEO Robert Murdoch confirmed the DVD release of Avatar won’t have 3D support, [B]with no word on a possible 3D Blu-ray version[/B].”

[QUOTE=slimwest1;2491474]Did anybody read this story…there is no 3D planned. Why does everyone say they are buying the 3D version? Blu-ray sales are somewhere around 10% of total sales, so yes, a lot of people are still buying DVDs.[/QUOTE]

1. Of course there will be a 3D version. How can you people be so stupid? How many “versions” of popular movies are there? They are released in order, over time: Original, Special 2-Disc, Ultimate, Collector’s, UltimateCollector’s, Director’s Cut, Anniversary Edition, etc. ad naseum. The DVD will be released quickly. Followed by lots of special editions and ultimately 3D.

2. Yes, people still buy DVDs because BluRay is still too expensive. Period.

3. 3D for home and the road will be commonplace in 4 years.

3D for the home? How soon? See this article elsewhere on MYCE!

Acer goes bigger with 3D LCD monitor

[QUOTE=Zod;2491465]lol @ the price point!

Why do people always assume something won’t catch on because it’s expensive.

people said the same thing about bluray and dvd when the came out (As well as hdtv’s).

price’s drop over time, as the technology gets cheaper to produce… look at how much cheaper bluray technology is today then it was 2 years ago… 3d might not catch on right away (or ever), but in the long run, I don’t think its the price point that would keep it from catch on. I imagine and some point the 3d tech will be included in all new hdtv’s.[/QUOTE]
… given that other vendors are offering 3D TV’s that don’t require $200US (per pair) glasses, but just the dodgy red/green coloured glasses that have been around since … the 1960’s :stuck_out_tongue:

A basic family with 2 kids … pays $800US so the family can sit down & watch a 3D movie … given that the whole TV cost $800US.

It’s going to be a niche market (rich, cashed up youngsters without kids), at least the Active Shutter Glasses, for several years.

Ultimately 3D TV’s won’t involve glasses at all. In face relying in glasses to watch a 3D movie would be more of a bother than a convenience. The move will be toward lenticular lens, free viewing in 3D LCD TV’s, that require no glasses. They’re available today and simply have to make their way to market and vendor support, outside of computers. In years to come, 3D television will be commonplace as even today’s LCD technology has the resolution to bring full standard quality 3D video. Since resolution takes a cut when it comes to converting video to 3D, it’s just a matter of time as higher resolution displays come to market to produce high def 3D.

[QUOTE=Euph0ria;2491577]Ultimately 3D TV’s won’t involve glasses at all. In face relying in glasses to watch a 3D movie would be more of a bother than a convenience. The move will be toward lenticular lens, free viewing in 3D LCD TV’s, that require no glasses. They’re available today and simply have to make their way to market and vendor support, outside of computers. In years to come, 3D television will be commonplace as even today’s LCD technology has the resolution to bring full standard quality 3D video. Since resolution takes a cut when it comes to converting video to 3D, it’s just a matter of time as higher resolution displays come to market to produce high def 3D.[/QUOTE]
I was of the understanding that 3D will be coming to market for Bluray, limited to 1080p, and requiring 100/120Hz frame creation. Obviously the TV must be 3D aware (unlike current 100/120Hz TV’s, which recreate the frames by extrapolation of 24/30FPS signals), and use alternating frames.

Some mobs are trying to convince the world that everyone needs to upgrade their equipment to HDMI V1.4, but Sony have stated that the PS3 is the only current bluray player that can sustain the high framerate for 3D, and it’s only HDMI 1.3 :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2491306]Does anyone still buy DVD’s? Why? [/QUOTE]
Probably because they don’t have sufficient bandwidth to download them…And to use in their DVD players…

[QUOTE=debro;2491306]Avatar on Bluray 3D is gonna spur sales of 3D HDTV’s, and 3D Bluray players or PS3’s :p[/QUOTE]
No operating a motor vehicle until you sober up…:cop:

[QUOTE=debro;2491306]I’m buying the 3D edition when it comes out … and one day, I might even buy a 3D TV :p[/QUOTE]
And I’m looking forward to buying a flying pig when they’re finally released too… :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO. :iagree:

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2491598]No operating a motor vehicle until you sober up…:cop:
[/quote]
My missus doesn’t drink, and she’s chinese, and I don’t like back-seat driving with her when she’s sober. Her driving is sobering … and she’s the best chinese driver I’ve come across so far :wink:

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2491598]
And I’m looking forward to buying a flying pig when they’re finally released too… :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
/me wonders whether they’ll come in a special edition, then directors cut, then collectors edition, then ultimate premium platinum collectors extended directors cut 3yr anniversary do-decahedron edition … and then the industry will complain that sales of DVD’s after 3 yrs have dropped (compared to movie sales of Flying Pigs 3 years previous) to support their lobbying of the Aussie government concerning crackdown on obvious Rampant pirating, since Flying pigs sales have dropped to 1% of their initial sales …

Frame rate isn’t a factor in lenticular or lens based free viewing 3D systems. It’s primarily video resolution, where interlaced portions (horizontal lines of resolution) of each frame are focused under lenses and are projected over an area in such a way that each eye sees a different view point/or slice of another viewpoint to simulate a 3D viewing area over a wide range (so many people can view in 3D within the viewing area). Usually containing 4 or more views, (at least 3 but some have been developed as many as 8), but this also reduces the horizontal resolution of the display. The more points of views the wider the effective viewing range. It can be done with as few as two, but that put serious restrictions on where a person must be positioned to view the free viewing display without serious limitations and is ultimately impractical. With current technology, my 22in LCD display @ 1680 x 1050, could have a decent range of 3D lenticular viewing capability of about 480 x 1050 assuming 4 views were used. “x” many views per frame can eventually be interpolated via hardware from as few as two stereo views with fairly good accuracy to meet the specifications of the display hardware.

A very basic explanation of autostereostopic displays can be found here: http://www.3d-forums.com/autostereoscopic-displays-t1.html The diagrams only cover two views however.

Frame interpolation has been around for a long time but some fantastic work by MSU does a good job demonstrating how this can be put to use in autostereoscopic viewing.
http://compression.ru/video/3d_display_video/index_en.html

Of course it’s just a matter for display technology to catch up to significant resolutions, which is already withing grasp, and implementing the technologies to make them marketable. It will happen, …just not with the PS3, and maybe not even the current version of BR.

[QUOTE=debro;2491306]Does anyone still buy DVD’s? Why?

:stuck_out_tongue:
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pipemanid;2491598]Probably because they don’t have [B]sufficient[/B] [B]bandwidth[/B] to download them…And to use in their DVD players…

[/QUOTE]

[B]ME[/B] :bigsmile:
:flower:

I still buy DVD because its super cheap. And the Blue-Ray doesn’t have a big enough difference for me to pay the extra. Only places i really see a big thing is explosions. But i just stream most my movies in HD to my 1080 22W monitor. Makes it look as good or better then Blue-Ray (If its a good uploaded clip)

3D isn’t a huge deal to me either… But above iw ill not be buying it b/c i was not a fan of the movie…

I watch some 3D TV channels so I dont care about all that 3D mumbo jumbo on obsolete media.