Multisession DVD not recognised by drive

I have this multi session DVD which I myself burned on my comupter. But after a few months when I tried to open it now it just would not open. It is the same drive; nothing has been changed. When I insert the disc the drive attempts to read it, but then suddenly stops. And the system would not respond for a minute. I have to ‘end task’ to get out of it. What might be the problem? I need to get access to the content of the DVD. Any help is appreciated.

Did you

1. Close/finalise the session?
  2. Close/finalise the Disc?

Windows doesn’t handle unclosed sessions/unclosed discs well.

Fire up imgburn & tell it to finalise the DVD.

Yes, it is finalised. And I used Nero 8.

And it worked perfectly well at that time.

Changed the name of the thread to correspond a bit more on its content.

Ayiramala it could be that the DVD quality had degraded and the drive has problems reading it. Try reading the DVD in other drives as they might have better error correction and read it.

I will try it. Thanks.

Multisession Mode on DVD is not recommended!!!

Just found out something: None of my multisession DVDs play on my computer any longer! Apart from the first one, I tried a few more, and none of them worked. But all of them worked fine in tha past. What is to be done now? Can it be that my drive has some problems?

What’s the MID of the DVD’s?

As Hemi mentioned, poor quality media is renowned for degrading … sometimes practically overnight.

That’s why most regulars recommend only either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. No problems :wink:

[QUOTE=debro;2309993]What’s the MID of the DVD’s?

As Hemi mentioned, poor quality media is renowned for degrading … sometimes practically overnight.

That’s why most regulars recommend only either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. No problems ;)[/QUOTE]

Didn’t quite understand you o n that point…
But this is what Imgburn said:
Pre-recorded Information:
Manufacturer ID: SONY16D1

Recording Management Area Information:
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A
Is this what you asked ?

Are they true multisession, or did you use packet writng software like InCD? If you used InCD this thread might help: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f48/incd-directcd-warning-53834/. You might also be able to recover your data with ISOBuster.

Yes, they were true multisession. Nero 8 asked for confirmation before burning them.
I will check out ISOBuster.

ISOBuster was a real help. That seems to solve all my problems-at least for the time being. Thanks for suggesting.

[QUOTE=chef;2307136]Multisession Mode on DVD is not recommended!!![/QUOTE]

What do you mean ? Does it cause more errors later ?

I am somewhat new here. SO sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.(I did search).

It always brought trouble and issues so it should be avoided with DVD.

CD’s were very much the same.

Optical media is really a write-once media - with the exception of CDRW/DVDRW/BDRE which are designed to be written multiple times.
Hopefully the people using rewritables understand what they are doing, and have the technical ability to do it :wink: