Multisession and copying bits of DVDs onto one?

I have DVD Fab Platinum & wanting to know if/how I can copy bits of a few different DVDs onto one. Have done a ‘customised’ burn to disc or file but can’t work out how to combine them.

Have tried just burning one part then starting again using the same disc for recording different files but it just spits it out, says it’s not writable disc. Have tried copying all Video TS files into one folder, but if I rename them they don’t seem to work & if I don’t they either overwrite existing files or get ignored when I’m copying & pasting.

[QUOTE=loosie;2272664]I have DVD Fab Platinum & wanting to know if/how I can copy bits of a few different DVDs onto one. Have done a ‘customised’ burn to disc or file but can’t work out how to combine them.

Have tried just burning one part then starting again using the same disc for recording different files but it just spits it out, says it’s not writable disc. Have tried copying all Video TS files into one folder, but if I rename them they don’t seem to work & if I don’t they either overwrite existing files or get ignored when I’m copying & pasting.[/QUOTE]

I can think of a couple of ways of doing this, some relatively cheap (in terms of $$$ spent to do this) and others (which will cost you $$$ to accomplish), and all of which will be [B]VERY[/B] expensive time-wise to do.

You could use DVDShrink’s re-author mode to mash together parts of various ripped files (Shrink is free), or you could use a program like VideoReDo to edit out the parts of various DVDs that you want to save, put those edits into one large MPEG file, then author that to a single DVD (VideoReDo will cost you $$$ to acquire).

In either case, all the DVDs you want to use will have to be ripped to your HD to start with, as you can’t use the DVDs before ripping for this task.

With Shrink, you’ll have to know the start and finish points for each segment you want from each rip (and to best get that, you really should rip each DVD with the VOB pass-through mode to get one large file for each DVD - essential with VideoReDo, if you go that way).

I don’t know if anyone here has tried this exact thing, so you may have to spend time with Shrink, learning and experimenting to get it right, and by the time you have gone through all this, you’ve used up days of your time (especially if you have work or school during the day, and can only do this evenings and weekends, not to mention whatever you use for a social life…).

Is this something you [B]R E A L L Y[/B] want to do??

Will the results justify the effort?

OC

:confused:

Thanks for that. By the sounds of things it’s not worth doing at all. But…

I can’t seem to get the ‘customise’ facility of DVD Fab to work at all. I tried copying sections of a DVD to HD then burning the folder, but while it didn’t get spat out of my DVD player & it said it was playing, all I got was blank.

I had thought that either customise, merge or write data options of DVD Fab should work for what I wanted, but can’t seem to make them work at all. Is there a general instruction manual yet that might tell me where I’m going wrong?? I still think I should be able to ‘merge’ stuff onto one disk with DVD Fab.

[QUOTE=loosie;2273025]Thanks for that. By the sounds of things it’s not worth doing at all. But…

I can’t seem to get the ‘customise’ facility of DVD Fab to work at all. I tried copying sections of a DVD to HD then burning the folder, but while it didn’t get spat out of my DVD player & it said it was playing, all I got was blank.

I had thought that either customise, merge or write data options of DVD Fab should work for what I wanted, but can’t seem to make them work at all. Is there a general instruction manual yet that might tell me where I’m going wrong?? I still think I should be able to ‘merge’ stuff onto one disk with DVD Fab.[/QUOTE]

You can merge stuff from separate DVDs onto 1 blank, but only complete films - say main movies on individual DVDs written onto 1 dual layer blank. You can’t take apart a film either by chapters or by your favourite parts and put those on a blank without going through what my previous post indicates.

For the tutorial, go to DVDFab.com, and a tab on the first screen will take you right to it.

If you catalogue one of your DVDs in Windows Explorer, in the VIDEO_TS folder you’ll see a bunch of .IFO, .BUP, and .VOB files. The IFO files contain all the info your set-top player and computer need to locate the menus, film start and stop, extras, and a whole bunch of other stuff. When you try to use Fab the way you are, the IFO files are not updated, and that’s why your player gives you a blank screen.

I suppose, with the right software, you might try to manually adjust an IFO to fit a compilation you’d put together, but that’s what authoring programs do anyways, and [B]MUCH[/B] faster than you could, so why bother…

Hope this helps a little…

OC

:slight_smile:

DVDFab Merge mode will do this from up to 64 Sources if the snippets you want are chapters. If you want smaller chunks, rip the DVDs to folders with DVDFab and as suggested, use DVDShrink/Re-Author mode to chop it all up with the set begin/end points feature, which will allow very small snippets (typically 10-16 frames). After you set the start/stop points you can play it from one to the other with the preview window and re-adjust the points if necessary.

[QUOTE=signals;2273115]DVDFab Merge mode will do this from up to 64 Sources if the snippets you want are chapters. [/QUOTE]

Thanks. That is what I want to do, but I missed the bit about wiping menus so it didn’t work. Trying it now to remove menus.

Yet another issue tho… Just copied a disc to HD, which worked fine. Then copied it onto another disc, which appeared to work fine, said burned successfully, but ‘plays’ blank on my player. Tried to copy same disc straight to another disc, with Full Disc option but got same problem. I can play the files on the computer…

[QUOTE=loosie;2273133]Thanks. That is what I want to do, but I missed the bit about wiping menus so it didn’t work. Trying it now to remove menus.

Yet another issue tho… Just copied a disc to HD, which worked fine. Then copied it onto another disc, which appeared to work fine, said burned successfully, but ‘plays’ blank on my player. Tried to copy same disc straight to another disc, with Full Disc option but got same problem. I can play the files on the computer…[/QUOTE]

Please advise the media you used and the speed it was burned at, as well as which burner you used to do this.

OC

[QUOTE=OCanada;2273154]Please advise the media you used and the speed it was burned at, as well as which burner you used to do this.

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Specifications below are what I’ve been using successfully in the past.

Media is DVD-R for data/video 4.7GB 1-16x
Not sure of the burn speed, whatever the default DVD Fab setting is I suppose.
I have an LG disc drive.

[QUOTE=loosie;2273747]Thanks. Specifications below are what I’ve been using successfully in the past.

Media is DVD-R for data/video 4.7GB 1-16x
Not sure of the burn speed, whatever the default DVD Fab setting is I suppose.
I have an LG disc drive.[/QUOTE]

What I was actually looking for was the manufacturers name that made your media…if you don’t know, or can’t remember the burn speed, please attach a burn log to your next post so we can take a look at it…

Location: C:\Documents & Settings/Your Name/Applications/DVDFab/LOG

The log file is written in 2 parts… the first part just contains info about your system, the burner used etc… what we need is the second part (further down in that Log file).

OC