Multiple movie "tracks" same size - which one?

vbimport

I’ve been ripping my DVDs (using the Main Movie option) and, so far, I’ve come across a couple of discs where it shows two video “tracks” that are the same size. One example is Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. This movie has both a Dolby Digital and DTS soundtrack, so part of me is wondering if the first video “track” is synced to the DD soundtrack and the 2nd is synced to the DTS soundtrack. Or, is this some sort of weird copy protection (designed to confuse me)? Or, is one of these tracks associated with a director’s commentary?

Which one to choose?

you can test which title to select by playing the dvd in player and checking which title is played.

does your home theater system support dts audio? if you dont know then it most likely does not. dolby digital is supported and is smaller file size.

mostly there maybe two different titles for many reasons including,

full screen, wide screen, uncut, directors cut, unrated, multiple angles, etc…

http://youtube.com/user/dvdfabtroy

Thanks for trying to help. I’m not sure if I fully understand your first comment, but let me start by addressing some of your other comments. First, my system does support DTS, so that’s the soundtrack that I’m choosing. I’m choosing the DTS soundtrack and no subtitles. My problem is with the video “track”. There are several available, but the top two are identical in length. DVDFab automatically chooses the first one, but I’m wondering what the second one is. I played a brief portion of each using the built-in player, and they looked identical, so it wasn’t a matter of one being 4:3 and the other widescreen.

if you want DTS then by all means keep it. :iagree: my system doesnt support DTS so i dont. :stuck_out_tongue:

i dont have that particular movie nor have i seen it. so i dont really know what the difference between the two titles would be. :disagree:

but if you play the original dvd in your standalone dvd player then press the display (or similar name) button on your remote, the title will show on your tv screen. then in dvdfab select this same title, DTS audio and no subpictures.

Sounds like maybe rated & unrated…Hard to tell just by seeing…Must listen and see if they use the “F” word…

Trying to follow this thread I pulled my copy out to see what I have. This is the original two-disk set, R1 widescreen version. There is only one video title set? There must be subsequent releases out there or in different regions.

I have the boxed extended edition set. So I just tried playing the actual disc in my XBox. I didn’t see multiple video options (e.g., widescreen vs full-frame). I’m thinking that DVDFab is getting “confused” in some way (possibly due to a copy protection scheme, though my rip seems to play fine).

glad to hear you have sorted things out. :slight_smile: and have a working back-up. :slight_smile:

My problem is with the video “track”. There are several available, but the top two are [B]identical in length[/B]. DVDFab automatically chooses the first one,

really thats odd. since you mentioned this

I have the boxed [B]extended edition[/B] set.

Yeah, it’s an extended edition, but there’s no option to watch the non-extended edition.

I’ve ran across this on several movies. In most cases I think it is different views since you can check in “customize” mode adding each view doesn’t change the size. One I can remember was “LADRON” when my “main movie” was great with directors comments only. This week I had one, I don’t remember which one that had 2 titles the same, I checked by playing picked the right one. Sometimes it’s the smaller size. Lot’s of different reasons.
Best bet, if in doubt, Play and check before burning!

[QUOTE=DONVAN;2020730]
Best bet, if in doubt, Play and check before burning![/QUOTE]

That is by far the best way. :iagree:

Most software players will display information about the titleset being played and the easiest way of finding out is to play the DVD in a software player, navigate to the version of the main movie you want, then take a note of the titleset number.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2020956]That is by far the best way. :iagree:

Most software players will display information about the titleset being played and the easiest way of finding out is to play the DVD in a software player, navigate to the version of the main movie you want, then take a note of the titleset number.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, this should be done every time before burning unless you like to experiment on RW's first which I don't usually do

yes, as this was suggested in post #2 and #4. :slight_smile:

i did some research on The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition). and it seems that there is only one version available. and it is split between disc 1 and disc 2.

dont know if you already knew this. but you will have to backup both disc to get the full movie. :slight_smile:

do you have pathplayer in enabled or disabled?

edit

A bogus title set has been used occasionally as DVD ‘protection’. I’ve seen some that are a few seconds longer but aren’t the movie. Those trick most ripping software into choosing that as the movie. Usually they start out ok but do things like drop the audio track or go to black and white or cut to the producer telling you it’s illegal to copy his film. It’s not a duplicate of the footage, just a set of pointers, so play the disk first and see which title set is the real one.