Multiple DVDs on a Blu-Ray

vbimport

I’m trying to figure out what I did wrong. I copied 4 DVDs to my hard drive in file format using CloneDVD and burned them to a 25gb BD-R with ImgBurn but when I put the disc in my blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S350), the folders showed up it was looking for photos. I verified that the files are there - all in DVD structure.

Was there a setting or step I missed? ImgBurn automatically changed the file system to UDF.

Thanks in advance.

You’re trying to play dvd-video off of the blu ray disk in a stand alone blu ray player, yes? Blu ray players are not required to recognize and playback dvd-video off of blu ray media.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568702]You’re trying to play dvd-video off of the blu ray disk in a stand alone blu ray player, yes? Blu ray players are not required to recognize and playback dvd-video off of blu ray media.[/QUOTE]
Hi Kerry, yes this is what I’m trying to do. Are you saying this isn’t possible?

I wouldn’t say it is impossible. You might find players that accept dvd-video on blu ray media, it just isn’t a requirement for them. The cheap players seem to have fewer restraints for some reason. :slight_smile:

Going the other way, we’ve seen some players that will read HD material off of dvds with no problems, even in blu ray format. Many others won’t, unless the player specifically has support for AVCHD and you make the video in that format.

The media companies and the hardware makers don’t seem to like for us to mix and match media and formats.

Edit: By the way, copying and burning as data does not make your disk into a dvd-video. Even if the data you are burning are several dvd-videos. Did ImgBurn specifically say it was burning as dvd-video?

I suggest doing a test with BD-RE media. Use only one dvd-video as input, in file format. Use ImgBurn in Build mode to burn the video to the BD-RE disk. Then try playing this disk in your stand alone player. If it works, you know that burning several at once doesn’t work, but your player isn’t limited in the way I was talking about. You can then erase the disk.

You then face the problem of building a single dvd-video out of the several you want to include. You could import each one into AVStoDVD (main movie only) and make a menu to access each video, but the output size is the problem. You’d have to set it to a very large custom size, and you’d have to set the program not to reencode either the video or audio. Would be an interesting experiment. There might be problems with the number of vob files…will have to look that up.

I could try this, but don’t have a standalone player. I use my BD drive in my HTPC.

Yep, there might be a problem with the vob file limitation in dvd-video specifications. Total of nine, and 1gb max size each.

Edit: I tried burning a dvd-video to a BD-RE disk and my computer software did not want to play it! That was Acrsoft TotalMedia Theater. VLC player has no issues with it.

The answer may be to make an AVCHD disk using standard dvd-video as the input. MultiAVCHD should be able to use the main movie from each dvd and give you an AVCHD video with a menu where you can select each one.

Again, I advise using BD-RE disks when experimenting.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2568712]The answer may be to make an AVCHD disk using standard dvd-video as the input. MultiAVCHD should be able to use the main movie from each dvd and give you an AVCHD video with a menu where you can select each one.

Again, I advise using BD-RE disks when experimenting.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your help Kerry. I’ll try your suggestion and see where it takes me. I first need to buy a BD-RE disc.

Hey Kerry - Just wanted to give a quick update. Looks like the MultiAVCHD works. I followed an online tutorial. I haven’t burned the disc yet because I haven’t gotten a BD-RE.