Multiple Core Support

When encoding a movie (DVD to Mobile), I see DVDFab only uses 25% of my CPU.
I have got a quadcore, so I think DVDFab is only built to support one core. As a lot of people are getting more cores lately, maybe it’s an idea to start supporting more cores? :bow:

DVDFab has multicore/multithread support. Not sure what you are seeing. The bottleneck may be elsewhere. What sort of conversion framerate do you get and which device/profile are you using?

I got a Intel Quadcore 6600, with 3 GB ram on a Windows Vista machine. Doesn’t the framerate on the CPU? (I mean: Higher CPU = Higher Framerate?) I get an average of 100 frames/sec.

When converting, if I check the Task Manager, I see DVDFab uses exactly 25% of the total CPU usage, while the other 75% is not being used. The 25% is spread over the 4 cores, so all 4 cores are running at 25%, which is what most (if not all) single threaded programs do.

[QUOTE=renox;1975725]I got a Intel Quadcore 6600, with 3 GB ram on a Windows Vista machine. Doesn’t the framerate on the CPU? (I mean: Higher CPU = Higher Framerate?) I get an average of 100 frames/sec.

When converting, if I check the Task Manager, I see DVDFab uses exactly 25% of the total CPU usage, while the other 75% is not being used. The 25% is spread over the 4 cores, so all 4 cores are running at 25%, which is what most (if not all) single threaded programs do.[/QUOTE]

I get about 30-35% on my Core 2 Duo. I have 4GB of RAM. I do a movie in just about 15 minutes from upload to burn. Now thats fast. As far as it being multi core It is much more effective compared to the previous versions of DVDFab.

I never used older DVDFab versions so I don’t know if the newest version is better than before.
What I do know is that in my situation, I could be done 4x faster than now.

So I just hope the developer keeps this is mind for the next releases.

[QUOTE=renox;1976375]I never used older DVDFab versions so I don’t know if the newest version is better than before.
What I do know is that in my situation, I could be done 4x faster than now.

So I just hope the developer keeps this is mind for the next releases.[/QUOTE]

How long is it taking you to burn a movie? You have one heck of a nice processor!

[QUOTE=THE C.;1976516]How long is it taking you to burn a movie? You have one heck of a nice processor![/QUOTE]Burning a movie does not depend on the processor.

I think renox is talking about DVD to Mobile speeds.

Hopefully i didn’t read your post wrong now The C. :doh:

The only DVD to Mobile mode that really make the CPU hump it is H.264. The framerates on this went up >300% for me when multi-core support was added a few months ago. Everything else stayed about the same. As I said, I think the bottleneck is elsewhere.

Hi renox,

As signals said, for DVD to MPEG XVID conversion, the bottleneck is the DVD reading speed. for DVD to H264 conversion, you should can see a big difference.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

[QUOTE=Bob;1976524]Burning a movie does not depend on the processor.

I think renox is talking about DVD to Mobile speeds.

Hopefully i didn’t read your post wrong now The C. :doh:[/QUOTE]

My bad…BOB, :rolleyes: it takes me about 25 minutes to incode a movie to my ZEN M 60GB! My Cores never go above 70% at anytime using DVDFab period. Never use more than 37% of my RAM either it pays to have a 2MB cache at 667Mghz on my processor! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=THE C.;1976689]My bad…BOB, :rolleyes: it takes me about 25 minutes to incode a movie to my ZEN M 60GB! My Cores never go above 70% at anytime using DVDFab period. Never use more than 37% of my RAM either it pays to have a 2MB cache at 667Mghz on my processor! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]Hi THE C. then you have hard drive speed to deal with… :wink: There is a lot of variables. I think that is what signals is talking about

[QUOTE=Bob;1976692]Hi THE C. then you have hard drive speed to deal with… :wink: There is a lot of variables. I think that is what signals is talking about[/QUOTE]

Yeah it is always slow to the little ZEN, but super fast in uploading to my Buffalo SATA, then to dvd. :bigsmile::o:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=THE C.;1976698]Yeah it is always slow to the little ZEN, but super fast in uploading to my Buffalo SATA, then to dvd. :bigsmile::o:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]I have a ZenW with a 40 gig drive in it. I got it for fathers day last year.

[QUOTE=Bob;1976719]I have a ZenW with a 40 gig drive in it. I got it for fathers day last year.[/QUOTE]

Nice WD screen you lucky man! My wife has the 30GB ZEN M! I like the ZEN M for its like having my music and a couple of movies to pass some time at work and boring opointments! Very convient. Has a darn good picture quality too! :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=THE C.;1976722]Nice WD screen you lucky man! My wife has the 30GB ZEN M! I like the ZEN M for its like having my music and a couple of movies to pass some time at work and boring opointments! Very convient. Has a darn good picture quality too! :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]off topic:

yep that’s why i bought Fab Plat. I already gave Slysoft money for most of their apps so i wanted to try Fab out with the mobile part plus have alternative to AnyDVD.

Fab works great on my ZenW :slight_smile:

BACK ON TOPIC:

[quote=fengtao;1976642]Hi renox,

As signals said, for DVD to MPEG XVID conversion, the bottleneck is the DVD reading speed. for DVD to H264 conversion, you should can see a big difference.

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. I doubt the bottleneck is the DVD reading speed. I don’t use a DVD reader at all, but I use my own harddrive instead. (DVD files are on my harddrive, so the reading speed should be way higher than on a normal DVD reader)

It takes me about 15 minutes to do a DVD-to-Mobile (for a 45 min. TV show episode)

I tried a DVD-to-Generic (H.264), but that one was slow too: 70 frames/sec, almost no CPU usage & 2.7 GB memory free.
I did defragment my (7200 rpm) harddrive, because I thought that my help, but it didnt. :frowning:

Also I’m talking here about [B]encoding DVD-to-Mobile[/B] not to burn a file.

Hi renox,

Do you use same hard disk drive as source and target? or separate hard disk drives?

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Or the same IDE controller? Or on the same bus? The file writing is an integral part of the encoding process. Lots of places for resource contention. The speeds you report are very good. My best H.264 rate is about 47fps reading and writing the same hard drive.

[quote=fengtao;1977420]Hi renox,

Do you use same hard disk drive as source and target? or separate hard disk drives?

Best Regards,
Fengtao[/quote]

It’s the same drive :frowning:

Hi renox,

For quadcore hi-end system, I’d suggest more hard drives, RAID-5 may be the best for performance and reliability.

Best Regards,
Fengtao