Multiple CD/DVD Drives - How?

vbimport

I saw some of the pics of peoples computers and they have 3-4 optical drives shoved into their system. How did you accomplish this? If anyone can help me out I’d love to know! :slight_smile: Might be enough to get me to buy a new Pioneer DVD-Burner to go along with my BenQ 1620A and NEC 3500A (that is still on its way yet since my NEC 2510A kicked the bucket…). Do you use a hard drive controller card (And if so which one?) and then just leave your cd/dvd drives plugged into the main IDE ports on the computer or how do you go about it… curiosity is killing the cat! :slight_smile:

Yo-

Most likely with a SATA for the HD’s and using the IDE’s for up to four devices-

Mike

Ahhh, darn. I forgot about the SATA ports on my motherboard. heh, well, I guess that’ll be for whenever I can actually afford those 2 300 gig hard drives I want. :wink:

4 SATA hard drives running on a PCI RAID card
4 optical drives running on mainboard IDE
1 SATA CDRW running on mainboard SATA
1 optical running on firewire
1 PATA HD running on firewire.

Yo rdgrimes-

WOW!!!

You da man!!!

Mike

Holy cow, rdgrimes! What a setup! I’ll have to check into hard drive controller cards. I’d love to keep my Samsung CD-RW/Combo drive in the computer - don’t really have a need for a raid card for myself but a good hard drive controller isn’t out of the question.

PCI controllers are really the best way to go in most cases. Generally you get a slight boost in HD performance, and it separates the HD’s and opticals very nicely. It does tend to increase CPU loads during large file transfers, but not too bad. One thing to keep an eye on when you’re stuffing your case with drives, is heat. You gotta keep things well ventilated.

PATA to SATA adapters are a great way to free up the PATA IDE for opticals, if you have decent sized PATA HDDs and unused SATA ports - probably not much in it pricewise, between that and a PCI card - the PCI is probably cheaper than a pair of adapters, but the motherboard SATA is better for high throughput, as it’s quite likely tapped in to the high bandwith Northbridge/Southbridge chipset link, without draining PCI bandwidth.

he motherboard SATA is better for high throughput, as it’s quite likely tapped in to the high bandwith Northbridge/Southbridge chipset link, without draining PCI bandwidth.

Actually, most boards’ SATA controllers are on the PCI bus. Only the very latest ones use chipset-based controllers. Many of them , if not all, are also RAID controllers so care should be taken in the setup process, especially when moving your boot drive to SATA. BIOS usually lets you set them to non-RAID mode. The biggest problem with MB SATA controllers is that most only have 2 ports. :sad: I stopped using mine because I needed 4 ports.

Keep in mind that it’s useless (in terms of efficiency) to connect 4 drives primary and secondary channel due to how IDE works. You will only be able to use two reliably (one on each channel) unless you want burn-proof etc to kick in all the time.
//Danne

Ahhh, but I don’t want all the drives in to be used as once - in other words it won’t be a duplication tower type computer. I just want to be able to eventually have a NEC ND3500AG, BenQ DW1620A, Pioneer DVR-108, and a Lite-On 16xxS all hooked up at once. With that 4-pack of DVD Burners there shouldn’t be any media that I can’t get a good burn off of. :wink: hehe

I’ve got my DVD burner as master on IDE1 and my CD burner as master on IDE2. The DVD-ROM is slave on IDE2 and the CD-ROM is on my SCSI bus.