Multiple BR 5.25" Drive Enclosure?

vbimport

I have spent several hours trying to find an enclosure box with PS & SATA connectors for 3-5 BluRay 5.25" drives. There are plenty of choices for a single enclosure box, and tons for multiple 3" HD’s, but I have thousands of CD’s and DVD’s that I want to rip to a QNap TS-853 Pro w/ 8gb RAM NAS on a GIGE network.

I know my PC’s CPU can handle the output, and it would be a lot faster to be able to continuously cycle 5 BR players running at the same time. I just don’t have any open 5.25" Bays on my PC Tower.

I cannot find a convenient holder that I could put on top or to the side, and thought you guys might know what I’m trying to find.

Thanks.

Something along those lines has been on my mind for years.

In the early 1990s Toshiba used to make a dedicated laptop docking station along those lines. With a couple drive bays, SCSI controller & a few expansion slots. You put the laptop into a slot and it was magically transformed into a fully featured desktop, with everything was connected up via a single proprietary connector.

I would love a modern equivalent, something like an old-fashioned desktop case (but shallower) with a Thunderbolt connection to the host. With say 4x 5.25" optical drive bays, a few 3.5" internal bays & a couple of PCI-E slots and a laptop power output, it would be the perfect laptop docking station (or expansion for a compact desktop/tower).

I’ve never seen a modern multiple drive enclosure which can handle optical drives - only ones for HDDs in a RAID array (or ancient SCSI enclosures). And it would be very difficult to run multiple optical drives over a single USB connection (even USB 3 is likely to be problematic).

The best alternative I can think of would be to buy a cheap second hand PC (it need not be a fast one) in a spacious tower case and use Remote Desktop (or one of the many alternatives) to control it over a network connection.

Or if the drives absolutely must be attached directly to the main computer, you could install the drives in a bare tower case with PSU (with the ATX MB connector wired to the case power switched), fit each drive with a USB to SATA/IDE adapter, then connect them to the host computer either individually. A USB 3 hub (which could be fitted inside the tower) would reduce the number of cables going to the host, but there is a chance it might not work smoothly with multiple drives in use simultaneously. For reading it may be OK.

I have never used one of these storage towers, but I have always thought it would be nice to have. Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.addonics.com/category/storage_tower.php

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2772364]I have never used one of these storage towers, but I have always thought it would be nice to have. Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.addonics.com/category/storage_tower.php[/QUOTE]

Nice. I hope the OP tries one and figures-out (and reports back) how best to connect multiple optical drives. I have some sitting in old computers that would serve me better in a box like the Addonics.

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2772364]I have never used one of these storage towers, but I have always thought it would be nice to have. Is this what you are looking for?

Very interesting. Done much searching in the past, but never found those.

Optical drives are fickle and I wouldn’t have thought they’d get on too well with port multipliers. While such things should in principle work fine with any SATA drive, they tend to be designed with only HDDs in mind. But as the company sells ready made optical drive towers, it must work well enough for general use.

There is a review of the storage tower on the imgburn website. The review is a few years old. I have wanted one of these towers to hold numerous optical drives.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=reviews&rev=2

If anyone else has used this storage tower, please let me know if you would recommend it.

Yes, that is the type of thing I want to interface with my PC. Thanks.

I do have 4 Sata ports/cables still available on my mobo feeding my Cat 6A GIGE networkedQNap TS-853 Pro-8G NAS w/ 8 x HGST 6 TB and i7 4770K Haswell PC w/ 16GB RAM. I suspect it would work best to separate the incoming rip streams each with their own SATA mobo channel. I’m going to try simultaneously ripping some combination of 3-4 BR/DVD’s.

I found a couple other options here:

[ul]

[li] 7 Bay SATA $92
[/li][li] 4 Bay eSATA/SATA $199
[/li][li] 4 Bay SATA $189
[/li][/ul]

Have to figure out which is the best way to go getting connections from external box to PC. I have a ton of DVD to rip in addition to fewer BR, so probably try the 4 Bay.

[QUOTE=texasjackson;2772413]There is a review of the storage tower on the imgburn website. The review is a few years old. I have wanted one of these towers to hold numerous optical drives.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=reviews&rev=2

If anyone else has used this storage tower, please let me know if you would recommend it.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting to read the review. I’m just not sure how well 3 or 4 BR (to ISO) ripping streams from that box coming into my PC’s single eSata mobo port, processed, then being sent out to store on the NAS is going to work. It may work just fine. I just don’t have enough expertise to be sure.

I’m more confident in using 4 separate Sata mobo ports for incoming…but that’s just guesswork.

Ah hell…I think I’m just going to take out the HD’s, and a 2 x USB-3.0 expansion bay, and use those 4 x 5.25 bays with mobo SATA & PC’s PS inside my case.

I wasn’t realizing that my NZXT PHANTOM 630 Tower already can hold 5 x 3.5 HD, 1 x SSD, + 4 x 5.25" optical drive bays.

I use Copystars duplicator cases. They hold between 5-13 SATA drives, and come with a PS power supply and ample SATA power connectors. You could stand one next to your main PC and directly connect one or more drives to your mobo. I connect mine via a powered USB 3.0 hub using internal->external SATA cables and a USB3.0 to eSATA adapter. Works like a charm for me.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2772517]I use Copystars duplicator cases. They hold between 5-13 SATA drives, and come with a PS power supply and ample SATA power connectors. You could stand one next to your main PC and directly connect one or more drives to your mobo. I connect mine via a powered USB 3.0 hub using internal->external SATA cables and a USB3.0 to eSATA adapter. Works like a charm for me.[/QUOTE]

I’m wondering how this works feeding 3-5 BR rips to ISO on NAS coming through that one port on the PC?

I also may try this Nimbie NB21-BR which they say works with Binnerup’s My Movies software I use when auto ripping to my NAS. I REALLY like the idea of putting in 100 DVD/BR, and having them all ripped while I go do other things.

[QUOTE=PCStuff;2772558]I’m wondering how this works feeding 3-5 BR rips to ISO on NAS coming through that one port on the PC?[/QUOTE]

If you’re connecting the drives to your mobo, each drive would need its own SATA port.

[QUOTE=jadburner;2772595]If you’re connecting the drives to your mobo, each drive would need its own SATA port.[/QUOTE]

Makes sense now.

My Nimbie NB21-BR comes tomorrow!

I have had the Nimbie NB21-BR for just a few days, and the joy of being able to already rip 150+ DVD & 15 BR having them automatically go into my MyMovies, stored on my various Qnap NAS drives for easy streaming to my TV Dune player is indescribable! There were only 2 rejected DVD discs which drop out the bottom, and which I simply put in my newer LG BR single drive, and those two ripped accurately and easily.

The Nimbie NB21-BR is the best thing since sliced bread. It is not cheap, but for the benefit of inputting 6-8K DVD/BR & 9-10K music CD’s essentially as a set it and forget it…is a dream, and well worth the one time expense!

There are a few settings that you have to figure out in the MyMovies setup menu, and then launch the stack of discs to start running from the MyMovies Dashboard…then off it goes.

Brilliant.

If you wish to rip CDs securely, dBpowerAMP supports many robotic loaders.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2773090]Brilliant.

If you wish to rip CDs securely, dBpowerAMP supports many robotic loaders.[/QUOTE]

Excellent! That program always amazes me. Reminds me of good old Winamp before they shut down. Still works today!