Multiple beeps from my bios and screen goes blank

a little while ago
I started getting multiple beeps from my bios (I think) this is actually while the system has been running for a while.
when I get these beeps my screen goes BLANK!
the number of beeps has varied but roughly are around 9-14.
could the blanking of the screen be a significant factor directing the fault to my video card maybe, any help would be most appreciated

thanx in advance

but this time 17 beeps and a blank screen somebody please
“HELP ME!”
opinions do count

Does this happen when you are running some OS (Windows, Linux etc)? Or does this happen as well when the computer is just turned on?

You can test this by a. idling in the bios, b. idling after the post (put a empty floppy drive in your disk and tell your bios to only use the floppy as a boot device)…

This only happens when i’m running windows
the reboot seems to straighten everything out for a little while
and then BAM! black screen
only one small beep on boot (memory) nothing major

Please test your memory with memtestx86 (www.memtest86.org)

No problems there? There are several options:

Hardware:

• heat problems: what is your CPU’s temperature? idle? stressed?
  • is your PSU capable of supplying your system with enough power?
  • faulty hardware, try to exclude as much components as possible and run stability tests, by adding one piece of hardware at a time, you can figure out what one is causing it

Software:

• Windows is messed up (virus, registry error… etc etc)
  • a driver is creating problems (try other versions)…

So my advice:

1. Check your powersupply and your temperature.
  2. No go there? Strip your PC and try.
  3. Still the same problems?Try a complete reinstall

thanx Dee-ehn
Ill give the memory tester a try

psu 300w
cpu 49 degrees

so i’ll start the strip down now

and to hell with it, the reinstalls happening to boot!

btw that link is dead

Sorry, typo, the link should be www.memtest86.com

Have you tried looking at the event viewer error logs in control panel/admin tools?

It might tell you what the problem is.

I think it may be your chipset drivers. I had something similar in Win xp when I installed the latest (at the time) VIA drivers for my motherboard.

It would start windows, be OK for abouyt 15 minutes, then it would beep about 8-10 times and reboot.

Dee-ehn
thankyou for your link to memtest86, it was just the piece of diagnostic software I needed problem solved 110 errors and still counting. you de man:bow:

Originally posted by woodypb
Dee-ehn
thankyou for your link to memtest86, it was just the piece of diagnostic software I needed problem solved 110 errors and still counting. you de man:bow:

Np m8, that’s what I am here for :slight_smile:

Just one thing: if memtest reports errors, it’s doesn’t have to be the memory that’s failing!

Possible other problems:
-heat
-PSU can’t handle it
-defective mobo
-defective CPU

The best way to test this with your current system? Strip your computer, all that should be available afterwards:
-mobo
-cpu + cooling
-memory
-floppy
-vga card (PCI if you got an old one left!)
Also, leave your case open and if possible, cool it a little more with some extra fan you point at it.

Still the same errors? Than the heat and the PSU part won’t probably be the problem. See that you can test your memory on another system. No problem there? Your mobo or CPU is the problem. Still te same problem? Than your memory is…