Multiple (4) Nec 2500 Ripping/Burning at the same time?

vbimport

I’am thinking of getting 4 nec 2500A so i can rip four dvd movies using DVD Decrypter at the same time.And burn four dvd’s at the same time using nero is this all possible using these programs with these drives.There will be 2 dvd drives per ide controller.I have A sata hard drive 512 mb ddr memory Pentium 4 3.0 ghz. (Time Saving is very important to me).

I’m pretty sure it will slow ur system up no matter what the spec. I recommend a DVD duplicator, a standalone machine designed to burn multiple dvds http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Hardware_Section__.html check them out at the bottom of that page.

Well I can rip 3 at once in my system. One drive per channel on each primary and secondary channels and one on a controller card. But burning off the controller card is slow and doesn’t work right. You have to have one that supports optical drives. Even burning 2 at once off the same hard drive off the same partition can barely cut 4x on each one. And thats with Athlon 3400+ 1024MB Corsair ram 400fsb. I haven’t tried 2 dvd burns off different partitions or different hds altogther, but I think it would be about the same. After all the hd in mention is a SATA.

It will be difficult because you will need to be reading and writing data off of the same HD but 4 drives will be asking for data. All requests for drive access get queued and remember the disk head can only be in one place at a time. Also, you need to remember you will have a buffer filled (ie your memory) for each drive trying to write(not sure how much a DVD burn takes up in memory) and this could potentially fill up all your memory. If this happens then there will be even MORE disk access occuring due to your memory having to page the data out to disk.

I recommend maybe limitting it to two drives…but as kwkard said you could try 3 with possibly unsuccessful results.

Also, I recommend taking a look at the DVD duplicator.

My suggestion is as follows…

1 Hd per Nec Drive each on a seperate Cable and Channel.

Example.

4 SATA Hds on 4 SATA cables
4 Nec drives on 4 different EIDE cables.

Now the next question is, are you compressing as your ripping? If so, your going to want a Dual Xeon MB with as fast as CPUS as you can afford with Min 1024mb Memory. Otherwise, you will only be able to rip 1-2 DVDS max without pegging you CPU.

Chris

I have successfully burned 3 dvds at the same time on 3 nec 2500a burners installed in bytec usb enclosures. However, i was burning the same movie. Im sure you can do it, but I recommend that your hard drive be defragmented when attempting this so that it can cache properly. When my hd was badly fragmented I noticed the hd would struggle to cache. I recommend burning from a storage drive the is defragged, not the OS drive. Programs like Padus DiscJuggler or Roxio Easy Media Creator supports multiple usb or firewire burners which are far more effective than the ide method(caching). I wouldnt recommend doing it the ide way or you are definitely looking for problems.

1 Hd per Nec Drive each on a seperate Cable and Channel.

Example.

4 SATA Hds on 4 SATA cables
4 Nec drives on 4 different EIDE cables.

Now the next question is, are you compressing as your ripping? If so, your going to want a Dual Xeon MB with as fast as CPUS as you can afford with Min 1024mb Memory. Otherwise, you will only be able to rip 1-2 DVDS max without pegging you CPU.

Chris[/QUOTE]

Right, but his question is a little vaige. Ripping and Burning at the same time requires a pretty beefy machine with mutiple hard drives. Especially is your wanting to put a 9gb DVD on a 4.5gb Disk (compressing while ripping). I have ripped and burned with 2 drives off a 200gb SATA (non OS) drive and worked OK. But ripping from 2 dvds to 1 SATA will overload one HD.

Chris

I did this the other day. Here is my setup.

SATA1: Hitachi 160GB
SATA2: Hitachi 160GB
Primary IDE Master: NEC 2150 (herrie’s hacked firmware)
Secondary IDE Master: Optorite DD0405

2 different images, 1 on SATA1 and the other on SATA2. Burned 8x on the NEC and 4x on the Optorite (the firmware I have doesn’t give 8x to the media I was using).

Everything burned flawlessly.

Happy burning!