Multi-tasking while burning

vbimport

Does it do much harm to a read/burn to run another program at the same time?

Some say yes it’s OK, some prefer to do nothing whilst burning, you’ll get a lot of opinions on this :wink:

What are your system specs?

Personally, it depends. If I’m backing up a movie or audio or important data, then I generally try to do as little as possible. Sometimes I do surf CDF a little at the same time, though :o

I would obviously try to avoid using any other proggy that’ll want to access the drive though.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2023891]Some say yes it’s OK, some prefer to do nothing whilst burning, you’ll get a lot of opinions on this :wink:

What are your system specs?

Personally, it depends. If I’m backing up a movie or audio or important data, then I generally try to do as little as possible. Sometimes I do surf CD a little at the same time, though :o

I would obviously try to avoid using any other proggy that’ll want to access the drive though.[/QUOTE]
Arcachane, thanks for the reply, my spec’s: Intel 4, 3.06Ghz,533Mhz, 200 Gb Sata HD, 1024Mb Sdram Memory.

I don’t do much of anything else while burning, and with your rig, you probably shouldn’t go hog wild running other programs either. If you had a dual core or quad core processor, you would have more leeway.

As a side note, Two Degrees lambasted me in the chatroom not too long back for holding onto outdated maxims :slight_smile: …specifically not running other programs while burning. And I have a Core2Duo processor.

So opinions will vary quite a lot on this.

Only one way to tell. Keep running more and more apps till you have a problem.

Varies from machine to machine i say.

I surf and burn but that’s about it.

Personal choice, when I burn, I burn period.

Up until I started using 2GB RAM and a 2.0MHz CPU, I did not do anything. Screen Saver was turned off along with the Virus Scan. No progs running in the background. Now it doesn’t matter.

[QUOTE=slytrans69;2023981]Up until I started using 2GB RAM and a 2.0MHz CPU, I did not do anything. Screen Saver was turned off along with the Virus Scan. No progs running in the background. Now it doesn’t matter.[/QUOTE]

2.0MHz?! :eek: :bigsmile:

if you ask me … doing ‘some stuff’ while burning does not make any difference to the burning… i would not do anything that taxes the crap out of the CPU or something that slams the hard drive alot while burning but other than that your golden :wink:

cause i figured if you got a SATA hard drive it’s transfer rates are pretty high to begin with so if your burning @ 8x (which is what i recommend in general for dvd’s) that’s only 11MB/s and my SATAII stuff does roughly 40MB/s ish … so i have plenty of breathing room.

cause i have a few programs running like torrents/newsgroup stuff/chat stuff etc and it dont effect my burning at all.

my CPU is a AMD Athlon 3500+ (2.2ghz overclocked to 2409mhz. which is a single core) and 2GB ram (but with 1GB i had no problems either)

so if you ask me in general it probably boils down to your system specs in terms of if you can multitask or not… cause if you only have a hard drive that can pump out 20MB/s tops and your burning @ 8x (11MB/s) well it’s pretty obvious that you cant do much else while burning.

although i guess you can play it safe and dont touch the pc while burning… but at least on my pc i have zero issues when browsing etc etc while burning.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2023896]Arcachane, thanks for the reply, my spec’s: Intel 4, 3.06Ghz,533Mhz, 200 Gb Sata HD, 1024Mb Sdram Memory.[/QUOTE]

With those specs I would do little as possible personally. I have at one time just to see if I can ran 3 burning apps the same time while surfing and downloading but man took me about 3 hours to read and burn with those apps and doing all that other stuff but I do have a powerful system to handle all that. So as previously said it varies per system. With yours I’d just read and burn with one app and surf you should be fine there with your system I think. Remember the more you are doing the longer it does take to get the job(s) done too.

[QUOTE=durkinjt;2023873]Does it do much harm to a read/burn to run another program at the same time?[/QUOTE]

I never multitask whenever I am backing up a movie or important stuff. I think this is a must because I think most definately it can cause errors & why would you want to run the risk of burning a crappy movie??

But like Dr. Who said maybe if you were running dual/quad core dual channel mem ect. then you could maybe get away with it, but again the only reason I would do this is to test out the capability of my machine. For important backups, again, I leave her alone

[QUOTE=beef barley;2023923]Personal choice, when I burn, I burn period.[/QUOTE]

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

No multi-tasking while burning for me. As there is a chance of slower or a bad burn.

[QUOTE=beef barley;2023923]Personal choice, when I burn, I burn period.[/QUOTE]

Yo-

I have a dedicated burning computer - set up to burn and only burn whilst burning = NOTHING else (get 100% success rate too) :smiley: