Multi Region on the Optiarc AD-7240S-0B?

Hello all,

I recently moved to the US from the UK and built a new PC when I got here. I didn’t give a thought to my Region 2 DVD’s that I shipped over and recently received until I went to play one and then remembered about infernal region locking!

Does anyone know if there’s a hack for this drive to make it multi region?

Thank you for reading.

YES there is! :iagree:

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

Use BinFlash to flash your drive with the bitsetting 1.01 RPC1 firmware. You also get bitsetting as a bonus thanks to Liggy!

Thanks so much! greatly appreciated.

[B][I]Off topic.[/I][/B]

[QUOTE=cvs;2301390]YES there is! :iagree:

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

Use BinFlash to flash your drive with the bitsetting 1.01 RPC1 firmware. You also get bitsetting as a bonus thanks to Liggy![/QUOTE]Liggy and Dee-27 always make great tweaks. :iagree:
But, bitsetting command is simple, even Erik D’s CD/DVD Speed [still free, heh] is able to do this.

[B][I]BTW[/I][/B], our friends at cdrinfo made a good 7240S review, link

[B][I]BTW2[/I][/B], does anybody know what “(-0B)” means. And also my drive is manufactured: “S”, what does S stand for.

Thanks. :flower:

-0B means black, there is different letters in place of the B for silver and beige. The S stands for SATA. Drives that are ATA have an A where the S is. There is no ata versions of these 24x drives for optiarc this time, they have seen the light:)

[QUOTE=pinto2;2303356]But, bitsetting command is simple, even Erik D’s CD/DVD Speed [still free, heh] is able to do this.[/QUOTE]
If you mean that bitsetting is not that valuable, you probably mix the command and the capability to react to that command.

Sending a bitsetting command to the drive (which is implemented in CD/DVD Speed and other software) does not have any effect if the drive’s firmware doesn’t support it. And implementing the bitsetting itself in the drive firmware as the reaction to the command (which is done by Liggy and Dee) is a totally different story!

Try to bitset your drive with the stock firmware, you’ll see what I mean.