MTBF on average CD/DVD writer?

vbimport

I recently upgraded to a Pioneer DVR-111 from a DVR-106, primarily because it was playing up when writing DVD+/-RW media.

My question. What is the mean-time-before-failure on these units and what is the most susceptible part?

I can’t have written more than about 600 discs on the previous model.

Check the specs on the Pio site, they even should list the MTBF.

I just wanted to know what the general consensus on failing writers is.

Based on other posts on the forum people talk of the laser wearing out after prolonged used, is this true?

Usually it should be around 3000 discs burnt… I never had the occasion to worn out a laser this way. The sad part is there are other components that tend to fail first…

Out of curiosity I checked the BenQ website to check the MTBF of my burner. It said: 125.000 POH (20%). Can you translate? What is POH? That is a decimal point after 125.

3000? Wow, I usually buy the next generation burner right when it comes out with burning probably 300 on the previous model, let alone 3000.

Power on hours
Decimal yes
Does this help :bigsmile:

decimal point is same as comma separator for europe - since they use the , for decimal point.

MTBF makes no sense really - quoted statistics mean nothing - it is tested with a farm of drives, and running for a specific time. Number of drives failed, total time of EACH drive is what’s calculated. So if you run 12,000 drives for 10 hours simultaneously without failure, then MTBF is > 120,000 hours. Different manufacturers have different ideas - but this is the basic idea and that’s why MTBF means nothing!

It’s all clear to me now. Eh! :rolleyes:

Kidding aside higher MTBF usually means a better chance of it lasting longer. They say the tray should give up before the laser but I never saw that. Figuring it out is a math nitemare. And as in all good companies they like to fudge the numbers some.

Interesting old post, but wrong.

MTBF is usually calculated by taking a parts list and feeding it into a software program. No testing is actually performed. There are databses of parts reliability for this purpose.

There are a variety of standard for this calculation and companies whose primary business is selling this software.

Further complicating the usefulness of such numbers is the fact that some manufacturers lower the results before publishing while others look to provide the highest possible number.