Mt. Rainier questions

Just flashed my 32123s to 40125s and, after reading Kenny C’s sticky, decided to format a disc using Mt. Rainier. Kenny’s screenshots show it as “Logically formatting…”, whereas mine said it was formatting as UDF file format. Why is mine different?

He quoted 30 secs. for formatting, mine took 2 mins. Are we talking about the same process here?

Also, when I insert a formatted disc, the red led stays on as long as the disc is in the drive. Is this normal? If it is, does this mean the laser is activated all the time?

A 700mb. disc had 539mb. left after formatting, much the same as using InCD. I assume, therefore, that they use the same formatting process.

While Nero does indeed let me use it as a dirty great floppy, doesn’t InCD effectively do the same thing, or am I missing something here?:confused:

This Mt. Rainier stuff is all new to me, and I’m trying to figure out if it’s actually got any practical use.

(Kenny’s tutorial was a big help, btw).

He quoted 30 secs. for formatting, mine took 2 mins. Are we talking about the same process here?

Well, the pre-format is suppose to 30 seconds, but for the first time, when you want to eject the disc, that can take about 2 minutes for some reason… (I got an non oc/ed 48125W) This can also be the media problem.

Also, when I insert a formatted disc, the red led stays on as long as the disc is in the drive. Is this normal? If it is, does this mean the laser is activated all the time?

No, that’s not normal! The laser led only goes on when you are trying to write. Did you try another disc?

A 700mb. disc had 539mb. left after formatting, much the same as using InCD. I assume, therefore, that they use the same formatting process.

Yes, that’s normal. (They all use the UDF format, except that Mount Rainier had some changes to it.)

While Nero does indeed let me use it as a dirty great floppy, doesn’t InCD effectively do the same thing, or am I missing something here?

Well, Nero does write the UDF format, but it does not support the explorer interface and Mount Rainier. And InCD is designed to write both UDF and Mount Rainier formats.

Thanks for the help, softwareguy. Although the led stayed on, I could still drag and drop files to the CD and then erase them ok, however I’ll try a different brand/speed CD. At least I now know that the led shouldn’t be on!

I’ve since found Mr. Belvedere’s Mt. Rainier sticky in another forum, which in turn pointed me to www.mt-rainier.org. Most interesting. There may be a use for this thing yet!

32123s doesn’t support Mt. Rainier, right?
If I am right, I think it is because of the upgrade messed up the leds settings, if that’s the case, you won’t have to worry at all. But if the led turned off during non-write times on other discs that you try, it may then be your media problem, not the drive. :slight_smile:

I am having lotsa problems with InCD’s “mount rainier capability” on the 32123s@40125s..

I installed InCD 3.37, and formatted the bundled Liteon CDRW (12x speed), it works as documented. I guess, it seems normal that for the 700mb CDRW, only 500+mb is available. Anyway, once its done, the icon of InCD on the system tray turns to green. I enabled verification under InCD’s settings. Also, I installed Easywrite Reader to recognize CDMRW-discs.

Full formatting to CDMRW took around less than 30 seconds, but my first question is… during the first time formatting to CDMRW, will I have to wait for around 2mins before I could safely write data into the disc?

When I copied a 50mb+ set of files and a 40mb+ BeOS installer, is it safe to eject the disc (via the my computer’s eject menu or the incd’s icon on the system tray)? I mean, will the copy be fine?

As you see, I guess that was the problem that started making InCD not recognizing my CDMRW-formatted disc.

I mean, when I inserted the CDMRW-disc on my Liteon 32123s@40125s, WinXP reported to me either that it cannot recognize the disc and told me to eject it or there’s no disc in the drive. But when I inserted the disc on my Tosh SD-M1612, it was recognized. Unfortunately, not all files were copied properly, notably the BeOS installer…

I was wondering, what are the precautions I should make to prevent problems working with CDMRW-discs? It seems there are still bugs present in either my drive or its updated firmware or i believe with InCD itself.

Hmmm, I think we need more people who have flashed their 32123’s to try Mt. Rainier - that way we may get a better overall picture of what may be the cause of any problems.

I tried a different CD R/W (a 10x) and this one did the pre-format in approx. 30 secs. Much better! But the red led still stays on:(

I am using the version of Nero which came with the drive, so I installed a slightly later one, erased the disc and started again. File transfer seemed to work ok, I copied a few 20 mb, 30 mb. files to the disc via Explorer, which showed they were there. But the bloody red led still stayed on! I could erase the files ok, in fact it seemed to do everything it should, except for the red led! Grrrrrr!

I may have to leave a disc in and leave it on for awhile - if it gets hot at least I’ll know the laser’s on:eek: :eek:

I guess my other option is to download XSU1 again and re-flash the drive, on the off-chance that I’ve got a corrupted bit of data in the file.
Clutching at straws here, chaps.

So, over to you flashers out there - anyone else having problems with Mt. Rainier?

Can somebody “modify” the update-firmware in such way that the drive stays a 32123s but supports Mt Rainier??
I want to try Mt Rainier, but don’t need the high speeds.

All is now working well:bigsmile: I downloaded the InCD update from the Nero website and that seems to have fixed my problem.

Mind you, it took me nearly 3 hrs, 'cos prior to starting I decided to upgrade my motherboard bios. DUMB! DUMB! DUMB! A word of advice - only make one change at a time and prove that’s ok before making further changes. Trouble is, I should have known better:o :o :o

Overclocking is a bitch, especially when you’ve forgotten the correct core voltage value to make the beast run properly. I kept getting registry errors in windows and CRC errors trying to install the update.

Anyhow, everything is now working, the 32123/40125 is purring away and I now have Mt. Rainier available. What I’m actually going to do with it is another question - I have no idea at the moment, but, hey, that’s not the point, is it?

So, if others are having problems, make sure you’ve got the latest version of InCD, as it seems there may be a bug (or two) in older versions when using Mt. Rainier.

Btw edmoncu, I copied files to the disc, ejected it, put it back in and checked contents with explorer and then erased them - all worked fine.

And thanks to cdfreaks forums (and users) I now have a somewhat rudimentary working knowledge of Mt. Rainier.:slight_smile:

Anyway, I am using InCD version 3.37. I think, that still currently the latest at Nero’s site.

:confused:

I just uninstalled InCD and depended on Nero’s Burning ROM only now. I just burn multi-session CDs on my previoiusly formatted CDMRW. :frowning:

Hi,

You have to remember with Mt. Rainier, it appears quicker as it works in the background, that is why the RED burn LED light appears to come on for absolutely no reason.

Cheerz .

:slight_smile: :smiley: :wink: