Mt. Rainier for the 812S? *crosses fingers*

vbimport

I was browsing Tom’s Hardware when I came across a banner ad promoting the upcoming Gigabyte GO-W0808A 8x +/-R burner. So I got curious and clicked on the link.

The picture looks awfully like that of a 812S, with the signature LiteOn drive door curve, LED light, & eject button. The specs matched that of the 812S. And it mentioned SMART-BURN® and VAS. Okay, SB & VAS were dead giveaways that this is most likely a rebadged LiteOn. But what is most interesting is that the specs also say that the drive supports Mt. Rainier. Previous threads have stated that the chipset for the 812S supports MRW, and that LiteOn just hasn’t implemented it yet (either in the FW or supporting HW). So this announcement that this drive will support MRW makes me wonder if LiteOn will soon be adding MRW support for its DVD burners. :smiley: …or it might turn out to just be an error on Gigabyte’s part, akin to what happened with Norcent…

Anyway, here’s a link:

The drive looks like an BTC…

Originally posted by jan70

Don’t think so… Looks like a LiteOn…

Originally posted by jan70

Yea, the printing does look like BTC’s printing, but the shape of the front panel is very LiteOn-ish, from the curve of the door to the little lip underneath the door in the middle to the shape of the button & LED light. Plus, SMART-BURN is a registered LiteOn trademark.

I also think that it looks like a Liteon. It could be Mt. Rainier for CD’s only…

what exactly is MTR good for?

Originally posted by QQuxa
what exactly is MTR good for?

I’ve never used MRW for DVDs, but I have used it for CDs, and it’s nice to have, I think. Makes the formatting go much quicker, and supposedly, it’s more robust than other forms of packet-writing. Probably won’t be something that really takes hold until it gets integrated into the OS in Longhorn. In the meantime, InCD and DirectCD have implemented support for it.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/75
http://www.mt-rainier.org/

yeah, but besides shorter format time (which you normally do only few times anyway), and less disc space available afterwards - what good does it do to us…

Originally posted by QQuxa
yeah, but besides shorter format time (which you normally do only few times anyway), and less disc space available afterwards - what good does it do to us…

The main appeal for me personally is that it’s an agreed-upon standard. Format compatibility/uniformity, better defect management, better file system compatibility, and future OS-integration, I guess, are the main reasons I like MRW.

And the format time too. :wink:

i dont get any errors with quality media anyway… compatibility, uh, don’t quite see that atm…

oh i forgot to mention that packet writing never worked good enough for me;p (esp with InCD)

i have yet to see a dvdrom that is MR compatible. does such a drive exist?

UDF format, which direct and incd, DLA as well as othersand many others implement is an agreed upon format which has been around for a loong time and i have found it to be minimally useful. i only have 2 programs that i use it with. one is an old filing cabinet program and the second is quicken. in both cases i format CDR media which MR and INCD will not work with so i have to install directcd which sucks in my opinion but is the only program i can get to work with it.

Originally posted by cnlson
i have yet to see a dvdrom that is MR compatible. does such a drive exist?

Plextor. At least, according to the CDF review…

The thing I don’t get is why companies don’t do a partial MRW implementation. I’ve heard people say that MRW isn’t done in DVD writers because the DVD+MRW specs haven’t quite been finalized yet. But CD-MRW has been implemented in a number of drives, so I don’t get why companies aren’t putting in CD-MRW (it’s as if they are doing an all-or-nothing thing here with MRW)

Originally posted by code65536
I don’t get why companies aren’t putting in CD-MRW (it’s as if they are doing an all-or-nothing thing here with MRW)

i think that the test suite requires that you pass all tests for the drive so partial certification would be a waste.

here is mt rainier website

12x DVD reading speed… doesn’t seem to me that this drive is rebadged LiteOn. Here in the forum I’ve read that 851S and 812S modded to 12x reading speed makes the reading even slower. So I doubt it is LiteOn at all.

Originally posted by dwrbudr
12x DVD reading speed… doesn’t seem to me that this drive is rebadged LiteOn. Here in the forum I’ve read that 851S and 812S modded to 12x reading speed makes the reading even slower. So I doubt it is LiteOn at all.

The Liteon 812S is rated to read pressed single layer DVD’s at 12x using standard firmware and no other hacks.

IMO The pictured drive is a Liteon drive.
The faceplate, the controls, the shape of the drawer, the metal “channels” in the chassis all look just like Liteon’s drives.

Originally posted by dwrbudr

12x reading speed is correct. The modding of reading speeds apply only to burnt discs (+R, -RW, etc.) All LiteOn drives have a max of 12x, but that speed is achieved only when reading pressed single-layer discs. As with all drives on the market, speeds are lowered for burnt discs and for pressed dual-layer discs.

I have also found that the current packet-writing formats/utilities are less than useful and have caused more problems than anything.
The fact that you need the specific packet writing software used to format the disc also to be installed on any other PC(s) that you wish to use that disc back on is a hassle.

If Mt.Ranier brings near-universal compatibility, is integrated into a future Windows OS, and most drives start supporting the format, I would be more than happy to start using it.
Until then, I’ll be staying away from any day to day use of packet writing…

Originally posted by code65536
But CD-MRW has been implemented in a number of drives, so I don’t get why companies aren’t putting in CD-MRW (it’s as if they are doing an all-or-nothing thing here with MRW)

Licensing fees and lack of real demand from the public would be my guess.
Think about it… lot’s people here at CD Freaks (which is an enthusiast community) don’t even know what it is. So you can imagine what John.Q.Public knows about it.
If a ODD manufacturer has to pay for the licensing fees I’m sure they don’t think the cost justifies the demand (I’m guessing that there are licensing fees, not 100% on that).

Well heres my question:

Does it already exist in certain drives but not enabled? If its using the Mediatek chipset, I would guess that its already there but has been disabled (possibly to avoid licensing fees)… Should the Gigabyte GO-W0808A be a rebadged LiteOn 812S, then its possible that its firmware contains the answer on how to unlock it for the 812S…

Of course, this is all speculation…

See this pic

Mt. Rainier is not supported :frowning:
I mailed GB to correct their typo
Hope they do it soon…