MSI P35 Neo Combo: Boot windows

vbimport

Hey honered tech gurus!

I’ve just acquired a new rig:

MSI P35 Neo Combo
E8200
GT8800 Zotac
Corsair 2 gb

I’ve installed a sata maxtor disk and connected the sata cable to the sata 1 port. I get a boot screen and every thing seems perfect! My Bios shows all my devices and it can find the Harddrive.

But when I try to boot my win cd from the CD drive it freezes at: Windows is inspecting you setup. . Then nothing happens.

I’ve tried to run from a puppy Linux Live CD but it tells me:

“Loading kernel drivers needed to access disk drives…”

I guess something is wrong with my sata disk or can you guys tell me what to do.

Thank you very much for your help!

Which drive and how is it connected?

Welcome to ClubCDfreaks vikezz :smiley:

First try updating the MB’s BIOS.

If your using an IDE ODD, make sure IDE mode is enabled in the bios.

Thank you Eric93se! And Hi chef

I’m glad you have seen my question!

I’ve been suspecious about my MBs ability to
run my sata harddrive. therefore I tried with
an IDE:

And when a IDE harddrive is plugged I get to the winxp install (blue) screen. no probs.

I got a tip that that I should make sure AHCI is disabled for a non-raid setup. I tried in the bios to disable raid and ahci but cannot find such settings.

So I can’t figure out, how to setup AHCI properly, so my MB allows a WinXP install on my Maxtor Sata HD.

How come they have made it so difficult :confused: Can you guys help me out?

You need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy and then press F6 when prompted during boot to load them.

But the problem is that I dont get the chance to press F6 in the WinXP install screen. It freezes before.

It’s the first thing that comes up. You can start hitting F6 before you see anything to make sure you don’t miss it. You did connect it to one of the main (ICH9) SATA ports (and not the single Marvell one) right?

And if you don’t want the hassle, go into the BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA Devices -> On-Chip SATA Controller and set it to [IDE]. You won’t need to load any drivers that way, just as if it was an IDE hard disk.

[quote=Cressida;2038796]It’s the first thing that comes up. You can start hitting F6 before you see anything to make sure you don’t miss it. You did connect it to one of the main (ICH9) SATA ports (and not the single Marvell one) right?

And if you don’t want the hassle, go into the BIOS -> Integrated Peripherals -> On-Chip ATA Devices -> On-Chip SATA Controller and set it to [IDE]. You won’t need to load any drivers that way, just as if it was an IDE hard disk.[/quote]

ahh oki, I wasn’t aware of the F6 button option was active at the very beginning when I press the power button. (start post.)

Yes, I’ve even tried them all… :o(sata)

Sounds brilliant with your tip about setting the On-Chip SATA Controller to [IDE]… When I come home from work I will do it as the first thing… I just hope I can find the setting… :open_mouth: im a little worried that I can only set it on/off… :confused:

Oki, I’ve tried to set the on-chip sata controller to IDE but it makes not difference unfortunatly :frowning: It freezes before it enters the win boot screen.

I can’t press F6 at the beginning either… nothing happens…

oh dear

Hmm. You did Save the BIOS change right? Then I don’t know either. Some incompatibility with your Maxtor HDD maybe? Do you have another SATA HDD you could try? Maybe also a different SATA cable and updating mobo BIOS as already suggested by eric93se. Since it works with an IDE HDD, I would think the ODD and your XP CD are okay.

Yes, the settings was saved ofc :slight_smile: Will try with another satadisk(and cable) … else the mobo go straight back to the supplier I guess… :sad:

What MB sata connectors have your tried. Look in your user manuel, pg 2-13. Connectors 1-4 are different than 5-6, ICH9R, and 7 is controlled by Marvell.

Also, did you install other add on cards on the MB other than a video card? If yes, then uninstall the extra cards.

On page 3-12, they have the IDE settings, did you try adjusting both of them.

Your using a very new cpu, are you sure you have the latest BIOS version loaded? Its version 1.6.

GUYS!.. I don’t know how to thank you enough for your wonderful help :bow:

I’ve now succeded a WinXP install, and i’m writing from my own PC now… this is amazing!!

I did this:
Updated the bios,

entered the BIOS:

Enable IOAPIC Function
Set Boot Sequence to CD/DVD 1st, HDD 2nd/last
Disable PCI IDE BusMaster
Set On-Chip SATA Controller to IDE

And then,

I just disabled the IOAPIC Function Again and begged to the higher forces…
and guys… SOMEHOW… it worked jeez… Can’t believe it… this is awesome… wehuuu… now I just hope nothing else goes wrong… :slight_smile: else…I know where I can find help! )

I’m very grateful for all your help… this is, the very essence of the internet… you can always ask for help!! THANK YOU!!

Congratulations, vikezz :clap:. Maybe it was just the boot sequence which had the SATA hard drive first, so you couldn’t even get to the Windows Setup screen :doh:.

I think it was definitly the bios, he’s using the latest wolfdale. He’s lucky it booted at all.

yes… pheeeew , I feel very lucky indeed!! Everything is just running smooth and there is no problem at all… :smiley: What a big smile I had on my face when I woke up this morning… (I came from a Nortwood p4 2.6 ghz , hehe ) and thats all because of you!! … I owe you big one!!

But the boot sequence was in the right order from the beginning though… Think it has something to do with the IOAPIC Function… hmm… maybe I should have spend at few extra $ on a MB with a ICH9R chip on it…

well… Now im just testing the machine for stability issues… (super pi, etc.)…

But again, thank you very much!! :clap::smiley:

Yes, “Setup is inspecting your computer’s hardware configuration…” would have meant you were booting from CD alright. I should’ve looked back at your first post ;).

hi all. i have recently built a rig but i am unable to get it up and running. my rig intel q6600, msi p35 platinum combo, 2*1GB Kingston 800MHz ram, 320GB Seagate Sata hard drive, xfx geforce 8800GT video card. all seems well when pc is turned on. bios sees sata hard drive but outside a message displays that “no hard drive is detected”. i have an additional ide hard drive so i used that and it is detected. My major problem arises when i try to install windows. wheter i use the sata or ide hard drive they both go through the early loading up screens and crashes shortly after the windows is being installed sign appears at the bottom of the screen(just before the area where u can create partitions and decide where to install windows 2).
The blue screen of death appears with the message saying "Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer"
both hard drives are known to be in good working condition, i moved around the sata connectors, i booted system with one stick of ram at a time, and in the bios the ram timings and voltages are all good.
Desperatly need some help as i am running short of hair to pull out.:confused:. Very greatfull in advance for and help that can be provided.

did you do the F6 and install the sata drivers from a floppy? Is the bios set to the right mode IDE/RAID/AHCI, the IDE mode is the easiest way to configure it.