MSI KT4AV Update

vbimport

Hi again!

I have the following PC…

CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ (1.667 MHZ, 1.67GHZ)
MOBO: MSI KT4AV, BIOS 21/10/04 AMI
MEM: 2X256 DDR PC2100 KINGSTON MODULES (512mb)
VIDEO: MSI Nvidia Gforce 4 MX 440 AGP 8X 64MB
HD: Western Digital 40GB
O.S: Windows XP SP2

PSU:
480W OMEGA
+3.3V: 30a
+5v: 38A
+12V: 22A
+5VSB: 2.0A
-5V: 0.5A
-12V: 0.1A

I´m thinking in a update of the following…

Video, CPU, HD, Case…

I like to gave a new life to my computer… I bought it in the 04 and means something special for me… I made a loan so I could buy it in that time…

Please gave me some specs. what are the pros and cons, etc… I can´t afford a 64Bit CPU or Pentium D… or even PCIx… because in CR the electronic stuff is sooo expensive…

Thanks!

You have a socket A motherboard a KT 400 Via chipset. In my opinion, you would be better off saving your money. The socket A’s still are good boards but there isn’t a lot of upgrading value to them. It is almost impossible to find a new CPU for them and a used one is always a risk.

I have 4 socket A boards and there is very little difference between a XP 2000 stock (1.67 Ghz ) and a XP 2600 mobile overclocked to 2.4 Ghz. Sure, the benchmarks miles apart but I can tell very little difference in day to day use. I run Folding @Home on all of them and the only noticeable difference is the old 1 ghz T-bird is definably much slower than the XP’s.

I would get another HDD for storage and maybe 2 X 512 mb sticks of ram.

and what about video? any nvidia??

If your a gamer, a better video card would be in order. You might choose a TV card and a Wide screen LCD monitor.