As some of you may have notice, I've hardly been active the last few days... I blew up my mainboard (with updating my hacked BIOS :() and I bought a new mainboard (MSI K8T NEO FIS2R with an Athlon 64 3000+). Now I have this very strange issue....
As soon as I connect a harddisk to the Promise (378) controller of this board and assign it to an array, the system doesn't work like it should.
- MS Windiag (a memory testing application) reports thousands of errors
- Memtestx86 causes a spontaneous reset within seconds
- I can try to install Windows, but the process never completes; during the installation everything works really really slow (partial XP installation takes over 2 hours!)
- Linux gives me a kernel panic while booting
My system specs:
- MSI K8T Neo FIS2R (bios 1.5)
- Athlon 3000+
- 2x 512MB PQI memory (tested with GEIL/Kingston/Infineon memory as well, the problem persists!)
- Radeon 9700
- Levicom PSU (34A RMS on 12V line) (also tried Enermax 460W and Antec tru power 480W)
- 2x WD Raptor 36Gb (RAID 0 array 1)
- 2x Maxtor Diamond plus (RAID 0 array 2)
- 4x optical drive
I just can't figure out what's going on here... if I don't use the onboard RAID controller everything is fine.... but I need it for my two arrays... (besides that, it should work, shouldn't it?).
Is this perhaps just a bug in the BIOS of my system? If so... MSI please resolve this issue, my computer is worthless for the time being..