MSI K7N2 Delta-L or ASUS A7N8X-X?

I cant decide which of these I should get. Both have NForce2 chipsets. I need to decide within the next 45-60 minutes so that I can have it by tomorrow.

Which one does everyone recommend???

Or should I go with the VIA KT600?? (KT6 Delta)

MSI and Asus are both fine. Somehow, I prefer MSI over Asus, but I know that all the systems I built upon the Asus A7N8X series work perfect.

If you want to know more about the Asus board, I think you should wait for RDGrimes’ reply (PM him if you need a fast answer) as he had the classic version for some time (and then he blew it into space :)).

I have the classic version of the K7N2G and I’m pretty satisfied with it. As a matter of fact, there’s just one thing that I don’t like and that’s the power-on bug (after you disconnected the system from a 220V outlet): you have to start the system three times before it works. I know that the Delta series of the board have the same issues. Besides that, Ati videocards don’t cooperate with the board with certain BIOS’. Check http://www.nforcershq.com/forum for detailed info!

And euh… no KT600 please; it has nice features, but a not-so-nice performance.

I have chosen to go with the MSI K7N2 Delta-L. My vendor will not have it till Monday so I will get it Tuesday. I will be unable to play any games this weekend :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

Oh well, I guess it is better to wait and get the one I really want then to get one that I will not be satisfied with.

Thanks

just some thing that i just noticed

not very clever to write in your signature that you’re using an illigal version off windows Xp Professional
unless your system is connected to an network that consists off at least 30 systems in a business environment. :cop: :bigsmile:

One other thing: The A7N8X-X has the NF2-400 chipset, which is the single-channel variant of the NForce2. The MSI board you mentioned has the dual-channel version of the chipset, making it a bit faster when DC mode is enabled.

Ah! Thank you for that bit of info. Im glad that I went for the MSI then as I have 2 identical 256MB DDR PC2700 memory modules to put in the dual-channel configuration!

Plus…this may sound stupid…but I just finished putting sleeving on all my PSU cables with red shrink tubing on the ends and the MSI is red. The ASUS is doo-doo brown and ugly as crap! Literally!

Thanks for the replies!

Anytime. I have an A7N8X Deluxe too, in my dad’s machine. It is the dual-channel chipset variant, and is just a bit faster than my machine (which is fast enough though ;)).

Well, I got it, the K7N2 Delta-L that is, and it is nice. Had no problems with the ATI/Nvidia issue that so many people were complaining about. My board came with the latest BIOS installed already. Installed clean load of OS and drivers and system is running good.

I do have some questions though. My BIOS says that my CPU temp is about 41-42C. I have stock cooling for my 2500+ Barton with AS3. I loaded PCAlert 4 (from MSI) and it says that my temp is 29-30C. My temps before changing boards in Windows was about 39C idle. Does anyone know of a more trustworthy applicatin that I can install (free) that is more accurate with temps??

TIA

Hmm it’s pretty strange that the BIOS detects don’t concurr with PCAlert’s readings. Two other more programs you could try to measure your temp with are Hardware sensors monitor and MBM. If they all give similar readings, it’s easy to determine that wether the BIOS or PCAlert is wrong. I think that PCAlert is wrong, as about 40c is a very normal temp for such a CPU, 30c with standard cooling is somewhat low!

I have an MSI K7N2 Delta-L motherboard as well. I also am running into heating problems with the retail heatsink/fan that came with the Athlon processor. At the moment I’m running at a reduced processor FSB (100MHz)…I have been advised by friends to buy some good thermal paste and more case fans (my case came with zero fans).

I have an ATi card (Decided to get an ATi one over a GEForce FX one after advice from Dee-Ehn and some other people) and it runs fine with the mobo as well. I had to download some drivers from the MSI website to enable LAN on my mobo, though.

I am using Artic Silver 3 instead of thermal paste. It came highly recommended by people on the forum. I have not seen it make a bit of difference though. It is also more expensive than thermal paste.

What temps are you getting?? What case do you have?? What power supply are you using?? I would definitely recommed getting some case fans. Atleast one intake and a couple outtake (depending on the size of your case).

If you want a good cooling don’t use stock coolers. Buy a Thermaltake Silent Boost which IMHO is the better cooler ever made by Thermaltake.

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
[B]I am using Artic Silver 3 instead of thermal paste. It came highly recommended by people on the forum. I have not seen it make a bit of difference though. It is also more expensive than thermal paste.

What temps are you getting?? What case do you have?? What power supply are you using?? I would definitely recommed getting some case fans. Atleast one intake and a couple outtake (depending on the size of your case). [/B]

I was planning on buying my case fans with my new DVD LTR-411S drive which will be reviewed by CDFreaks (I was told) soon. If it gets positive reviews, then I’ll buy it and some case fans as well. ATM not much point buying a few bucks worth of fans and pay more for shipping than the fans themselves :o

I’m using an Antec 350W PSU. I’ve got a Super Flower case (I know, stupid name) but its whats inside that counts :smiley: Has 3 80mm fan holes.

[offtopic]
@Tyro: if you want to know more about the LiteON 411S burner, check out our Recording hardware forums, as there already some tiny reviews there…

I wouldn’t recommend the drive for now…
[/offtopic]

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
Hmm it’s pretty strange that the BIOS detects don’t concurr with PCAlert’s readings. Two other more programs you could try to measure your temp with are Hardware sensors monitor and MBM. If they all give similar readings, it’s easy to determine that wether the BIOS or PCAlert is wrong. I think that PCAlert is wrong, as about 40c is a very normal temp for such a CPU, 30c with standard cooling is somewhat low!

I did try both of these programs and they both report that which the BIOS was reporting. This is the first time that I have ANY difference when using PCAlert from MSI on an MSI board. It has always reported the same as the BIOS.

Thanks for the links.

Incidentally, about the heating problems my 2500+ Barton processor is giving on my mobo…I bought some Shin-etsu thermal paste today. Hopefully if I smother the top of the processor in it then it will improve the thermal dissipation efficiency dramatically…

What temps were you getting before the paste/after?? I would also not recommend “smothering” the paste on the CPU. Just put about a pea size amount on the core and spread it evenly. No need to get it all over the place, when the only place it is needed is on the core.