MSI K7 Turbo2 users - post your experience

Is anyone using this mobo ?

If yes please post you experience so that
I will know whether it is good or not.

Can anyone recommend me any good KT133A mobos ?

only prob i had was using a case fan by plugging it into the motherboard. i couldn’t get into the bios! called the place i bought it at . first thing out of the techs mouth after i told him the prob was are you using a case fan plugged into the mobo? this was a year ago, they may have fixed it by now. the mobo was made into a system for my stepson. he hasn’t had a prob. you think it’s time for a ddr mobo? i would. not much more, unless the budget is very tight.

You are correct. DDR mobos are quiet expensive and for the price of 1 256MB DDR333, I can get a PC1333 512MB.

I have 256 PC133 RAM and I might use it on the KT133A. I have to get a new AMD Processor and a KT133A mobo.

Liteonmania: the K7 Turbo is getting old and not compatible with the newest Athlons anymore. I believe the fastest Athlon that can run on it, is a 2000+. Ok, it still a fast enought CPU for most common activities… but it’s mid-end nowadays.

About the fan: that’s right. When a fan (casefan, cpufan) consumes too much power the board won’t work. Connect the fan to your PSU and all problems will be solved. Pretty easy, once you figured it out. Here, I’ve got two systems running on this mainboard and I’m really satisfied with it: fast, stable (and nice overclocking features).

However, I wouldn’t buy this board anymore. Not because it’s bad, but because it is really outdated…

The newest K7 Turbo2 can support up to 2600+ but only using SDRAM. TEh problem is, is DDR-RAM really worth it because I am only upgrading and I have 256 PC133 RAM.

Originally posted by liteonmania
The newest K7 Turbo2 can support up to 2600+ but only using SDRAM. TEh problem is, is DDR-RAM really worth it because I am only upgrading and I have 256 PC133 RAM.

Depends on what you do. When running applications that really benefit from fast memory, you would defenetively notice the difference. When using programs that don’t need that speed or programs that benefit more from bigger amounts of memory than from faster memory, SDRAM would be sufficient.

So, what is it you use your system for?

I will use my comp. for mostly gaming, word processing, MP3s and net surfing.

Originally posted by liteonmania
I will use my comp. for mostly gaming, word processing, MP3s and net surfing.

When gaming, the difference will be noticable, the other tasks won’t slow down too much because of the slower memory.

The difference in speed depends on the game (e.g. the Quake 3 engine really benefits from fast memory!)…

Will there be a lot of difference ? How many % increase in terms of performance ??? I really tight on budget and I have a 256 SDRAM stick with my current comp.