MSI DR16-B3 Tests

Hi Everybody,Here I wanna start a complete test of DVD Burner MSI DR16-B3.

The drive is DW1640 as u know, I wanna test it with its firmware and with BENQ firmware, and need ur help to compare it with the original Benq drive.

Also any one have this drive is invited to test it with me.

Tests starts at next post.

Reading

with its firmware b1.1

CD-ROM Disc

CD-R:Infodisc 48X

DVD-R:ProdiscF01 8X (burnt in multisession Last 500MB burnt with overspeed enabled supposedly on 16X)

DVD+R:Daxon AZ2 8X(burnt in the same way)

CD-RW:CMC Magnetics 10X

Other tests on other Benq Firmwares will come but please who had this drive of u lets share the work to make more precise results.

DVD+RW: Philips041 4X

[B]READING

Firmware: Benq BSOB[/B]

CD-ROM Disc

Only with cd rom, Benq wins recognition time and MSI take speeds ,Benq full seek time is losing.

CD-R:Infodisc 48X

Little diff in recognition time for MSI ,better start, end speeds from Benq an seek times also except full one.

DVD-R:ProdiscF01 8X (burnt in multisession Last 500MB burnt with overspeed enabled supposedly on 16X)

MSI recognition time winner,but really smoother curve from Benq CAV and better speeds but full time and cpu usage are strange.

DVD+R: Daxon AZ2 8X (burnt in the same way)

MSI wins recognition time again but CAV of Benq BSOB made smoother curve and better speeds and seek times again.

CD-RW:CMC Magnetics 10X

MSI B1.10 better in recognition time 7.87 vs 8.23 for Benq BSOB but Benq is higher in start and end speed and better seek times.

DVD+RW: Philips041 4X

MSI wins recognition time too,no remarkable diff in speeds an seek times,except full which MSI wins too.

The media table of a MSI B1.1 firmware is identical to the Benq 1640 BSIB and BSJB firmwares, the flasher is 6 month old.

Thx Ala for telling me,the flasher last modified 22/7/2005, its the first and version from MSI tell now,they seem not caring too much to update that firmware. but I dont know why it’s faster in recognition time,is that meaning that its media table was smaller and faster to be checked or no relation.
i used ur tool on it but i couldnt read media table on it, would u update it for that. Another thing why cds not listed in ur tool.

May i ask u about something,How drive recognize discs speed well without being in its firmware and if i used ur tool to change some older media with newer one,would driver work with write speeds for it or i need another tool

Thx Ala again anyway i still need to keep MSI firmware to recognize my drive as MSI in case they updated it

I think its great that you want to do a review on the drive, but since its exactly the same as a 1640 except using older fw and stripped of some options it may not be necessary. I would suggest crossing flashing the drive using BQflasher and FW BSMB or BSLB, but thats up to you of course. :slight_smile:

will eric I did so already and tests include BSOB firmware cross flashed on that Drive,I just wanted to know how drive works with its firmware and with Benq firmware,looking for any modifications MSI did to Benq firmware that was existing at production time, u can see better recognition time in MSI ,and on other hand i want to be sure that Drive had all right features in Benq by cross flashing like sheep tests and other features. and also what best firmware i should use for it.

last thing this review would be usefull for who want to buy that drive.

thx eric for ur caring,looking for ur participating agian.

future81, I’m sure we all appreciate your testing and findings about the “differences” in MSI/BenQ firmwares.
But to be honest, I don’t think that many of us are willing to flash our 1640’s to a more than six months old (BenQ BSIB equivalent) firmware.
Furthermore your thread should better been started here.

And the media “recognition time” is of small, if not of none interest when we are comparing drives/firmwares. More interesting would maybe been quality scans and alike (and then all done on one firmware/drive).
I for once am only interested in DVD burn quality and speed.

Good luck with further testing. :wink:

The recognition time has nothing to do with the table size.

i used ur tool on it but i couldnt read media table on it, would u update it for that.

I might add read only support, but I do not want to test all rebadged firmwares to allow write support, as it is a waste of time.

Another thing why cds not listed in ur tool.

CD write quality is not such a problem as DVD compatibility and write quality, so I have not spend time on it.

May i ask u about something,How drive recognize discs speed well without being in its firmware and if i used ur tool to change some older media with newer one,would driver work with write speeds for it or i need another tool

After you rename an unused MID with a new one it will be handled with the settings of the replaced MID. Some firmwares do not allow e.g. using 4x speed media with an 8x strategy, so it depends a bit.

Well neither me or anybody would wish so,and i made these tests b4 notice that MSI firmware is that old,I just tryed to test what MSI did in that part and that what happens when testing a new drive, u try to find out what they presented whatever was no of disadvantages of the drive.

It’s just a report to make others know.

I was thinking to do so,but i come here bcoz its benq drive at the end and maybe i will made the same thread there after tests finished

yes i just tryed to record any benifits there to be honest, i had some media quality scans already ,I will send them soon

Thx pinto ,and im looking for new comments from u.

well Ala i think i’ll send in ur thread about some questions in ur tool.

Well I tried Sheep test on the drive but it failed with MSI B.1.1 ,Benq BSMB,Benq BSOB and Benq BSLB,this strange result make me asking what’s the difference between two drives

I also used pinto burst transfer test the first half only,I have no empty media right now

With my 40 pin conductor I have max of 27,000 KB transfer rate of my HD drives and I had a lot of times of full buffer with Image transfer rate never get higher than 10,700 KB,so my pc is slow and will affect burn speed and i still looking for any MSI DR16-B3 Owner’s help in these tests for better performance he may have.

I read Sheep test thread before doing the test and the setting was iso mode 1 ,filesystem Iso 9660 +joliet,charcterset Iso 9660 standard
and seamless link activated
It was continue multisession with remove deleted file from compilation.

If i made anything wrong just tell me.

I still have that question opened for all of u:
Is Benq DW1640 rebadged to MSI DR16-B3 and crossed flashed to Benq latest firmware Equal the orginal Benq DW1640?

well, i would really like to know that…

and well, my scans are too different from urs!!! in mine, when crossflashed to Benq it goes PCAV when slowing down for error handling!!! and while it’s back to it’s Stock MSI dont do that at all!!!..

1: reading a Pressed CD-ROM

2: reading a DAE Quality Test CD from NERO CD-Speed, Dye Type 2, Cyanine, Multimedia Masters and Machinary… FULL of C2 Errors in the end :wink:

3: Reading a BenQ/Daxon Phthalocyanine Data disc, just note how the Benq could read 2 more frames!!! 79:29:37 instead of 79:29:35!!!

4: Reading a Ultra-speed 24X CD-RW from Verbatim containing Audio CD

5: Reading a DVD+R branded “Matrix 4X” with a fake MCC003 code, with a Batman backup and full of PIF in the end… the disc is not mine, so i suppose it’s overspeeded to 8-12X un-intentionnaly when burned… note the slowdowns and the PCAV in BenQ!!!

6: a DVD-R from Verbatim8X MCC02RG20

just a side note… i couldnt make DVD-RW/+RW tests as mine are still blanc :stuck_out_tongue: and really dont have time to make tests on the tday… i’ll make them soon anyway :slight_smile: