MSI 8348B 48x16x48 and Media

Hi. I am new to the forums. I just bought the above mentioned MSI re/writer. At first it was only allowing max burn at 16x with Princo (max 48x) and Memorex (max 24x) CDRs. Then after reading some posts on this forum I figured that the MSI and Benq writers were the same (they used Seamless Link Technology). So I updated the Firmware by getting it off the Benq site. It was updated from A.QZ to A.TZ.

Now the burner writes at max 24x with Princo and Memorex. This is an improvement from the previous firmware but it still doesn’t give the option to burn at 48x with the Princo CDR. The only CDR it writes at 48x speed is the one that was bundled with the drive. There is no brand name on that CDR, it just says Super Speed. It also did it with the previous firmware.

Is this a firmware issue or a CD Media issue? Why doesn’t it burn the Princo CDR at 48x even when that CDR supports it? Can anyone suggest a 48x CDR media that might work on it?

Thanks.

Here are my specs:
AMD 850mhz
384mb ram
Gigabyte Mobo
Nero Bundled 5.5.8.2 -> upgraded to 5.5.9.9 (from Ahead website)
MSI 8348 48x16x48 re/writer

(hope all this helps, if I left anything out plz let me know)

Heres an update:

Imation 80min/700mb 1x-40x CDRs worked on the writer and allowed me to burn at max 48x. This is surprising because the Imation CDR supposedly only had a max speed of 40x. The only thing was that at about 92% the speed dropped to 16x…maybe this was because the CD had to be finalized. I verified the data and everything was ok.

So boys, I guess it depends on media quality.

I also have some Sony 80min 32x CDRs and I’ll try them later.

Just learn one thing here

the speed ratings on the CDRs don’t mean much.

firmware decides tyhe max speed allowed based on the ATIP of the disc.

Sony 80min 32x CDRs were detected to have max 24x speed. But 2 coasters were created at 24x speed. Worked fine on 16x.

I don’t know…do other 48x writers have this problem of being difficult with certain media.

I have a 48x16x48x cendyne and I have a bundle of durabrand 700MB cd-r’s that are rated at 24x mulitspeed. My Nero program detects them to a max of 40x. I have made 10 music cds at 40x with no problems other than most of the recording is at 20x then as it approaches the end of the recording the speed will increase to 40x. Around 6 minutes to do a 79 minute music cd.:confused:

My burner is brand new , my old one broke , stripped out a gear from the sounds it was making. I am planning to get some more cd-r’s that are 48x to try. I hope this cd burner will start burning at 48x all the way from beginning to end of a disk.

I hate to pay 100 bucks for 48x and get an average of 24x:(

it is impossible for a cdburner to start and finish at 48x. go to www.cdfreaks.com and learn about zone clv, CLV, CAV etc. im not completely sure but i dont think any writer can go faster than 20x at the very begining.

Originally posted by cd pirate
it is impossible for a cdburner to start and finish at 48x. go to www.cdfreaks.com and learn about zone clv, CLV, CAV etc. im not completely sure but i dont think any writer can go faster than 20x at the very begining.

48X CAV writers start at ~ 22X

Also 6min for 40X burning is still too slow… should be ~ 3min…

maybe the cendyne limits mode 2 or RAW recording to 16X.

LiteOn 52x will start at 24x (with 12.000 rpm and noise)

I have the same MSI Writer and i updated the firmware to A.UZ.
Everything seems ok.