MS DOS F/W Updating

vbimport

Whats the best way to get into dos for a firmware update
24102b 5s54--------->5s57 [or with any writer + firmware]

i have been recommended to reboot into dos with a floppy, but can't i just hold control and go 2 the ms dos command option [i think option 4]

Also, should i run the firmware update from the hard drive or save it to a floppy and run it of the floppy??

if u use the command prompt in windows… arent u technically still IN windows? so dos f/w updating wouldnt work…or something strange might happen…I’m not sure… :smiley:

running it off the hhd would be better IMO… :slight_smile:

u r right , but thats not what i was saying.
what i mean is cant i

[list=1]
[li]restart my pc
[/li][li]hold down control to get the MS Win 98 start up menu
[/li][li]go to “command prompt only”
[/li][li]have the flash program on a floppy and run it by the command “a:/cs5s57.exe” or run a command “c:/windows/desktop…”
[/li][li]and restart by pc.
[/li][/list=1]

or instead should i boot into dos froma bootable floppy
and also in “4” should i run the dos update file froma floppy or the H/D

Well whenever i have updated f/w i have done it by using a boot up disk, but i cant see any reason why you cant do it by command prompt.

I would recommend running the command off the hard drive though (you never know what a damaged floppy can do :wink:

You have to load dos with the bootable floppy…copying the firmware to an empty floppy and run it from the command prompt won’t work…

A few possabilities:

1)load the bootable dos floppy and run the flash from your harddisk…
2)copy the flash to a bootabe dos floppy and run the flash command after dos is loaded…
3)load the bootable dos floppy,after the command prompt appears,remove the floppy,insert a floppy with the flash and run the flash command…

thanks for all the help so far.

Roadworker, i’ll use ur option no . 1

bootable dos floppy
I know you can make different types of bootable floppy; but can you just tell me how you suggest i make ths bootable dos floppy - the "format a: /s " method dont work !!

I have been told you can download em from places like www.bootdisk.com but there are som many options.

I know this post seems very tentetive, but i am scared of doing something wrong and messing up my hardware !

BTW - i cant update in windows ['cos of an already discussed long story.]

If you use win 98 or ME,it’s easy…control panel–>software…

To make a boot floppy in Win98:

Go to Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Startup Disc.

Put a blank floppy in the A: drive and hit Create Disc. This creates a Win98 Startup Disc (boot floppy).

Leave the boot floppy in the A: drive and reboot. The computer will then boot from the floppy disc without using the hard drive.

This is the proper way to boot from DOS without using the Windows startup menu.

Originally posted by shuebhussain
[B]u r right , but thats not what i was saying.
what i mean is cant i

[list=1]
[li]restart my pc
[/li]> [li]hold down control to get the MS Win 98 start up menu
[/li]> [li]go to “command prompt only”
[/li]> [li]have the flash program on a floppy and run it by the command “a:/cs5s57.exe” or run a command “c:/windows/desktop…”
[/li]> [li]and restart by pc.
[/li]> [/list=1]

or instead should i boot into dos froma bootable floppy
and also in “4” should i run the dos update file froma floppy or the H/D [/B]

ur method seems ok…but u know wat micro$oft is famous for :D… so somehow things dun go the way u want them to… :slight_smile:

why do you not make your cdrom bootable in bios and restart your pc with the win98 or winme cd in your boot cdrom and it will boot to dos with or without cdrom support this is the way i do it i dont like floppys because they are crap and the price you can get cds now they are cheaper than floppys

cheers   bighun

thanks for the suggestion , and i agree with the cdr/floppy price thing, but i prefer to stay out of bios when ever poss :wink: