MS announces 6 V of Windows 7

Microsoft Announces Six Windows 7 Editions
David Murphy
Feb 3, 2009 5:40 pm

Microsoft has confirmed the existence of six separate Windows 7 versions. That’s two more editions than Windows Vista’s four, thanks to the addition of a barebones “Windows 7 Starter” and a split of the typical Windows “business” model into both Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Enterprise editions.

Confused? Here’s a full breakdown of Windows 7 shipped editions, ordered by complexity:

Windows 7 Starter

Lacks: Aero enhancements, the ability to run more than three simultaneous programs at once (?!), HomeGroup creation, full mobility capabilities

Available: Emerging markets only, only installed on OEM-specific machines and limited to certain kinds of hardware

Windows 7 Home Basic

Lacks: Aero enhancements, live thumbnail previews, Internet connection sharing

Available: Emerging markets only (no U.S., Western Europe, Japan, and other developed countries)

Windows 7 Home Premium

Includes: Aero enhancements, multi-touch capability, media functionality for playing movies and burning DVDs, and the ability to create home network groups

Available: Worldwide!

Windows 7 Professional

Includes: Enhanced networking features like domain join, advanced backup, location-aware printing, and offline folders, as well as Mobility Center and Presentation Mode.

Available: Worldwide!

Windows 7 Enterprise

Includes: Branch Cache, DirectAccess, BitLocker, AppLocker, boot from VHD support

Available: Volume licensing only

Windows 7 Ultimate

Includes: Everything. The whole enchilada

Available: Limited availability

What to get? How to get it?

Microsoft intends for Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional to be the two editions that most consumers are apt to pick up. Your Average Joe should target the latter, whereas small business-themed customers will want to opt for the latter. Microsoft has yet to offer its official suggestions for or hardware recommendations for the operating systems, so stay tuned. However, Microsoft alleges that the various editions of Windows 7 will be able to run on a “very broad set of hardware, from small-notebook PCs (sometimes referred to as netbooks) to full gaming desktops.”

Microsoft has yet to announce price points for any of the Windows 7 products. Upgrading from a lesser Windows 7 version to a more meaty variety will be handled through Microsoft’s electronic upgrade capabilities. Going from a standard Vista Home Basic or Home Premium install to Windows 7 won’t require a reformat of any kind. According to Windows guru Paul Thurrott, the new operating system can be installed right overtop of these Vista editions without complications. Going from XP to Windows 7 will require a clean installation, as will jumping from a 32-bit Windows 7 installation to a 64-bit installation.

Ver.8) Windows Listerine, It does what it says it says what it does.

The Pirate version comes in Ultimate version only :slight_smile:

So, the pirate version is cheaper, less confusing versions, and comes pre-compromised with zombies, so you don’t need to worry about your personal data being compromised … you’ve already been compromised at installation time :slight_smile:

Way to got M$ :iagree:

There shoul be two versions of windows -> Server & Desktop … and even then, I’m sure desktop users would be wondering which version to go for - and the difference should be Zero … except for some default optimizations for the server version, which can be easily reversed.

[quote=debro;2213722]The [B]Pirate[/B] version comes in Ultimate version only :slight_smile:

So, the [B]pirate[/B] version is cheaper, less confusing versions, and comes pre-compromised with zombies, so you don’t need to worry about your personal data being compromised … you’ve already been compromised at installation time :slight_smile:

[B] Way to got M$[/B] :iagree:
[/quote]
What has pirated crap got to do with Microsoft?

[quote=debro;2213722]The Pirate version comes in Ultimate version only :slight_smile:

So, the pirate version is cheaper…

[B][I]Way to got M$[/I][/B] :iagree:

…for the server version, which can be easily reversed.[/quote]

Yo debro-

[B]? [/B]-eh

The current Windows Vista also comes in 6 versions, but the Starter edition is also limited to emerging markets and the enterprise version is only available as volume license sales. On the Microsoft’s “Compare editions” Vista webpage, these two are listed towards the bottom of the page. :wink:

However, the limitation of 3 simultanous programs on the Windows 7 Starter edition doesn’t really make sense. :eek: I’m sure pretty much everyone running Windows has at least 3 applications automatically start when Windows starts up.

I honestly don’t understand why everyone on teh intarwebs is making such a big fuss right now about the win7 versions, it seems pretty strait forward to me

starter - you won’t be able to buy this, there is in fact an xp and vista starter version, have you ever seen it for sale? have you ever heard of anyone using it? probably not

basic - again you won’t be able to buy this, unless you are in a 3rd world country

home premium - same functionality as xp home/mce and vista home premium, 95% of prebuilt PCs will come with this and will be the standard for the majority of users

pro - same as xp pro and vista business, more networking features, no media center

enterprise - you won’t be able to buy this unless you happen to own a large business with hundreds of PCs

Ultimate - all the networking etc of pro and all the fun stuff from home premo, you will only buy this if you have to have everything, have money burning a hole in your pocket, and or are a supergeek :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Seán;2213784]The current Windows Vista also comes in 6 versions, but the Starter edition is also limited to emerging markets and the enterprise version is only available as volume license sales. On the Microsoft’s “Compare editions” Vista webpage, these two are listed towards the bottom of the page. :wink:

However, the limitation of 3 simultanous programs on the Windows 7 Starter edition doesn’t really make sense. :eek: I’m sure pretty much everyone running Windows has at least 3 applications automatically start when Windows starts up.[/QUOTE]

The Windows Vista Starter Edition is also limited: It supports only the lower-end single- and dual-core CPUs (no high-end, tri- or quad-core or 0.45-micron CPU support; CPU technology must be 0.65-micron or older); it is limited to 1GB maximum of RAM, and its maximum hard drive size is limited to 250GB.

[quote=jwill427;2214067]starter - you won’t be able to buy this, there is in fact an xp and vista starter version, have you ever seen it for sale? have you ever heard of anyone using it? probably not

basic - again you won’t be able to buy this, unless you are in a 3rd world country[/quote]
I’m actually surprised at the frequency that Dell actually bundles the Basic versions (of Vista) on their cheap computer deals.

I’m actually surprised how many people buy those crappy machines.

[QUOTE=debro;2214284]I’m actually surprised at the frequency that Dell actually bundles the Basic versions (of Vista) on their cheap computer deals.[/QUOTE]

IMO dell is pretty good now about only having vista basic on the cheapest of the cheap computers, back when vista first came out they were putting basic on way more systems. it will be a nonissue though when W7 comes out since basic won’t be sold in North America/Europe/Japan etc.

what I think MS really needs to do with W7 (but they probably won’t) is make the 32bit versions limited availability and push 64bit, the majority of PCs from the past 5 years are x64 capable and its about darn time x64 becomes the software standard

[quote=jwill427;2214394]IMO dell is pretty good now about only having vista basic on the cheapest of the cheap computers, back when vista first came out they were putting basic on way more systems. it will be a nonissue though when W7 comes out since basic won’t be sold in North America/Europe/Japan etc.

what I think MS really needs to do with W7 (but they probably won’t) is make the 32bit versions limited availability and push 64bit, the majority of PCs from the past 5 years are x64 capable and its about darn time x64 becomes the software standard[/quote]
It’d be nice to see 32b only as upgrade versions & not as new installs :iagree:

All new or OEM versions should be x64 :wink:

Dell is still bundling Vista x32 with all it’s machines here in Oz!
And the Ram has capped at 4GB’s, and hasn’t budged for about 18months!

Admittedly, I haven’t seen any XPS machines in Oz, because it’s only business machines & laptops I see … I’m not really sure, and have never met anyone, who buys the overpriced & under-powered XPS PC’s they try to push as “high-end” gaming machines :stuck_out_tongue:
It’s possible they are issuing Vista x64 versions for the gaming machines.