Mpg to dvd

vbimport

i am trying to back up a vhs tape of star wars i imported it into my computer thru a tv tuner card it is a mpg file 6.2 g i know that this will not all fit on a dvd-r is there anyway to shrink this so it will fit also i want it to play on a dvd player hooked up to my tv
would i be better using a dual layer disk will that play on regular dvd players

Your first problem is getting the mpeg file back to dvd format. Did you capture the file in dvd compliant specifications? DVD video is very stringent on what is acceptable. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvd_video

If you are not sure what the resolution, frame rate and audio is on your video, you can open it with Gspot video utility and see if it is ready to be put into dvd format. If you already know it meets the specs, you can use an authoring program and make a dvd. DVDStyler is a free authoring program, as is GUIforDVDAuthor.

Coming from VHS tape, the quality of the video is not going to be outstanding and compressing to fit onto a dvdr will not help matters, but it can be done once you have it in dvd format. DVDShrink can do this or DVDRebuilder if you don’t mind taking a bit more time.

If you decide to go to dual layer to avoid compression, make sure you only use Verbatim +R dual layer disks, preferably made in Singapore. And I would use ImgBurn to burn to disk.

thanks for your reply i did the g spot and here are the results

container program stream(1 vid 1 aud ) sys bitrate 10125kb/svbr
vidieo codec mpeg2 name mpeg2
resizing none already dvd format
audio mpeg1 layer2

so where do i go from here i did find some dual layer discs but again will they play on a normal dvd player ?
i really would like to get this on a normal dvd-r if possable thank you

There was quite a lot of information Gspot tells you that you left out in your post, but since it does say “already dvd format”, I’ll assume it is compliant.

Download DVDStyler. Import the mpeg file into it by dragging and dropping into the DVDStyler window. You can create a menu and chapter points if you wish, or you can just right click on the little menu screen at the bottom left and delete the menu if you prefer. Make sure you set the configuration correctly. If you are in the US, you need NTSC, 720 x 480, and use ac3 audio.

Once you have everything set, hit File, Burn DVD. This brings up a little window with other options. Make sure to make a folder where you want the dvd to go…the default place is not where I would want it. Since your dvd is going to be oversized, uncheck burn and click on “just generate”. Now hit Start. This will produce a dvd you can burn to a dual layer disk using another program like ImgBurn.

If you want to reduce the size of this dvd you have just made, get DVDShrink and use it to compress the movie to fit onto a single layer dvd. You can download it at www.mrbass.org and you should read some guides there on using it.

DVDRebuilder, even the free version, will produce slightly better output if you want to try it.

Post back if you run into a problem. The worst part of DVDStyler is the lack of guides and help files. I have experimented with it a bit, but normally use DVDLab Pro for authoring…but it is expensive.

Try VSO DivxToDVD .Put the mpg as the source file.If that works check the size of the VIDEO_TS folder it creates.The I use CloneDVD2 but DVDShrink might also shrink it to the 4.35 single layer.
CloneDVD2 will burn it to dics but I would put it on the HD first with CloneDVD2 then to disc to make sure of the size.
Still the quality is going to be less than if you started with a DVD you were backing up.
btw I have a DVDStylerManual.pdf & DVDStylerGuide.pdf but .pdf isn’t in the attachments list.I’m not sure if I got them on the DVDStyler site or not.

cholla
I’m afraid that the VSO program, or others similar to it like FAVC or DVDFlick would reencode the mpeg file needlessly, and thus reduce the quality of the video. Not certain of that, but it does seem to happen often, and since he is starting with VHS, I’ve been trying to avoid that.

If pifan is going to reduce the size anyway, if might be better to just import the mpeg file into FAVC and let it produce the dvd at the correct size. It will reencode since the mpeg file is too big, but it will do everything in one step. And quality using the HC encoder will be better than VSO in my opinion. http://favcfavc.googlepages.com/home

If he wants to go to dual layer, my 2nd post would produce optimum results using DVDStyler, ImgBurn and Verbatim DL media.

Thanks Kerry56 I will check out the FAVC.If you use DVDStyler you might see if you can find the .pdfs I have .I have had it for awhile & don’t remember if I found them on the DVDStyler site.
I have only used DVDStyler with .vob’s but if it also works with mpeg2 & I take it that it does since you recomend it.I wouldn’t use DivxToDVD first.
I’m still learning so sometimes I don’t have the best method.

Well, shoot. I keep forgetting FAVC’s achilles heel, which is the fact it doesn’t let you import mpeg files or vobs directly. I do wish Mr. Odwin would fix that. It is possible to import them using AviSynth, but that is another step of difficulty/complexity. DVDFlick would be simpler to use in this case for pifan, if he wants to reencode first and do everything in one step to make the video fit onto a single layer dvd.

I still think making the dvd with DVDStyler, then reencoding to a smaller size with DVDRebuilder would be the better path since it can also use the HC encoder. Obviously I am prejudiced towards anything that can make use of the HC encoder. I think is is the best option for a free encoding/conversion program.

And to cholla, yes DVDStyler will accept mpeg2 files directly if they are already compliant with dvd specifications. It seems to want full resolution only…720 x 480 for NTSC and 720 x 576 for PAL, so it isn’t very versatile. The only audio options I’ve seen are for ac3 and mp2, which leaves out pcm. But it is free, so you can’t expect it to have as many features as the commercial products. I’ve gotten spoiled using DVDLab Pro as my main authoring program.

Kerry56 I haven’t tested this to see if it will work on a finished DVD.You can open a backup copy of a DVD then with DVDStyler.
1.Drag a .vob into the project timeline & R click on it.
2.Select properties
3. Audio/video button under audio\format pulldown pcm is in the list.
You are correct about the resolution.

thanks for all your feedback allot to sifer would it be easier to just burn it to dual layer dvd i just need to know if normal dvd players will reconize and play it
btw i do have nero 7 , and also ulead and my burner will burn dual layer discs

If you author the mpeg2 files into dvd video format and burn to a dual layer disk, it should play in most dvd players. Commercially made dvds are virtually always dual layer, but are made differently than the ones we can burn.

Some players are picky about these things, but I haven’t run into one that couldn’t play my dual layer burned disks. That’s not a big sample of course, so you would just have to try it to know for sure with your players.

I don’t like to use Nero for DL burns. ImgBurn is the most recommended burning program for dual layer burns, and is free. Look at this guide for burning dvd video to dual layer using ImgBurn: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1780

By far the [B]most[/B] important thing about burning to dual layer disks is getting good media. The ONLY good dual layer disks are made by Mitsubishi and sold under the Verbatim brand, though they have shown up under the Sony brand a few times. The best Verbatim DL are made in Singapore. Do not settle for any other type of dual layer.

And if blackram looks back in here for an answer to his question, I’d say burn most 16x media at 8x. Better quality disks like Verbatim 16x can be burned at 12x fairly safely. And Taiyo Yuden 8x can be burned at 8x with no ill effects. Your burner and media matter more in burning speed than the program you are using to burn with.

i did some checking under video there are some settings on my tv tuner card that i imported the vidio on my computer

win tv settings movie tab conffigure mpeg settings
dvd standard play
drop down box other options
dvd extra long play
dvd long play
dvd standard play
mpeg2 2.0bit/sec
mpeg2 2.0bit/sec[half d1]
mpeg2 12.0mb/sec
mpeg2 12.0mb/sec cbr
svcd long play
svcd standard play

do you think any of these settings will let me import this video so it will fit on standare dvd even with a little loss of quality

[QUOTE=pifan;2022892]i did some checking under video there are some settings on my tv tuner card that i imported the vidio on my computer

win tv settings movie tab conffigure mpeg settings
dvd standard play
drop down box other options
dvd extra long play
dvd long play
dvd standard play
mpeg2 2.0bit/sec
mpeg2 2.0bit/sec[half d1]
mpeg2 12.0mb/sec
mpeg2 12.0mb/sec cbr
svcd long play
svcd standard play

[B]do you think any of these settings will let me import this video so it will fit on standare dvd even with a little loss of quality[/B][/QUOTE]
Sure. There is very little you can do with your VHS source. Which one did you use? If you used ‘dvd standard play’ try ‘dvd long play’ an see if the results suit your needs.

i think i used standard dvd because that is what kinda stays by default ill try dvd long play and see what happens

what do you meanby authoring

Authoring is the process of taking a mpeg2 file that is entirely compliant to the strict specifications needed for dvd-video and putting it into a Video_TS folder containing .vob, .ifo and .bup files. The mpeg2 video and audio is contained in the .vob files. The .ifo files are for navigation (chapter points, location of audio and subtitle streams) and the .bup files are backups of the .ifo files.

thanks for all of your help project done
here is what i did
i imported movie from vcr at standard dvd setting on tv tuner card
then i burned the 6.2 gb file on a dual layer disk all i could get is memmorex 2.4 speed it would play on portable dvd player but not ones hooked to tv’s
then i used DVD shrink and burned it to regular 4.7 g dvd’s they worked on all of my players so 2 more in series to go thanks for all of your help