Mpg files won't play correctly on my new Windows 7 64 bit laptop

vbimport

I have several mpg files I either created from my camcorder or downloaded from the internet onto my Dell workstation running Windows 7 32 bit.

I recently purchased a new Asus laptop also running Windows 7 but 64 bit. When I try to play any of the mpg files on the Asus - regardless of what app I use to play them, the video is all choppy and basically un-viewable even though they play fine on my workstation.

Any ideas anyone?

Give a some hardware specs of the Asus, including video hardware and ram. Also list some of the playback software you have tried.

Asus hardware is basically a gaming machine. Intel i7 core, 12 Gb RAM, Nvidia graphic card with 3 Gb memory, 1.5 Tb hard drive. The software I’ve tried (unsuccessfully) include Windows Media Player, AVS4YOU, VLC Media Player

Well, I would say it’s definitely not a hardware problem. Can you play a DVD O.K? Do you have any other video files, avi, flv. mp4, that you can try? What about simple Youtube video?

Well, interesting enough I think I may have discovered the problem. Since my Workstation and Laptop are not yet connected (LAN), I’ve been using my 8 GB USB Flash drive to transfer these files. As a test, I copied several of these same files to a DVD instead of the flash drive and played them back on the Asus just fine.

I don’t know if there’s some characteristic about a flash drive that would cause this or simply if mine is defective.

Comments?

Slow transfer speed on the flash drive perhaps?

[QUOTE=servtrkr;2598645]I have several mpg files I either created from my camcorder or downloaded from the internet onto my Dell workstation running Windows 7 32 bit.

I recently purchased a new Asus laptop also running Windows 7 but 64 bit. When I try to play any of the mpg files on the Asus - regardless of what app I use to play them, the video is all choppy and basically un-viewable even though they play fine on my workstation.

Any ideas anyone?[/QUOTE]
It sounds like a missing codec for MPEG-2 on your laptop/windows. Here is a link to FAQs on codecs on the microsoft website:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/Codecs-frequently-asked-questions#

To see which codecs you have installed in Windows Media player:
(1) On the Help menu, click About Windows Media Player.
(2) On the About Windows Media Player dialog box, click Technical Support Information.

Under the “other binaries” sections, you will see a file such as “msmpeg2vdec.dll” which is an mpeg2 codec for MP.

Hope this helps.

John

Thanks DVDS35DL I didn’t know about checking WMP this way.
I’m not having any problems like the OP but this may be useful sometime.
On my Vista OS “msmpeg2vdec.dll” is listed under “MPEG/DVD Filters” .