MPEG2 to DVD using Nero Vision Express 2

vbimport

The time has come to move a lot of old VHS to DVDs. As a psychology professor, I have a collection of short clips I use in class and they would be a lot easier to use from DVD not to mention the tapes are wearing out. I have a video capture unit that I’m pretty happy with (Hauppauge WinTV-PVR2-USB2). Using that and it’s bundled software I have been able to produce some high quality MPEG2 videos. Now I want to get these on to DVD so they can be played in any player not just computers and those players that read MPEG2 files. I’m using Nero Vision Express 2. After adding chapters I told it to write the final DVD file to my hard drive. It produced only the Video_TS files no audio. The audio was still with the video. Although everything worked fine on the computer I suspected it would not in a player so I burned the files to a DVD. Yep, I was right. Nice picture no sound. What do I need to do to get Nero Vision Express 2 to produce both Video_TS and Audio_TS files from an MPEG2 file? Thanks

The Audio TS folder is supposed to be empty, it’s a leftover compatability thing that some players require. Your audio is part of the MPEG2 stream. If the files have audio on your PC, then there’s a possibility that your DVD player is not able to decode. What audio format are you encoding on the DVD? Is it PCM or AC3? If it’s PCM, it will only output through the stereo line outputs of your player.

BTW, if you don’t mind spending the $, TMPGEnc-Author is a much nicer authoring program, and it doesn’t re-encode MPEG2 like NeroVision does.