MPEG Video Wizard: Merging clips

I am using the latest edition of MPEG Video Wizard DVD and have VOB music files that I have ripped from DVD and am trying to edit. Here is my problem: one of the VOBs stops in the middle of the music and continues in the next VOB file. When I put these clips next to one another in the Wizard, there is a split second gap between them so that the music gets interrupted when you play it. How can I merge these two VOBs into one so that the play is continuous? I tried using the Snap feature but turning it on and bringing the clips close to each other in the Timeline, but there is not snapping occurring and that split second gap is still there. What can I do? Can you please help me merge these clips into one continuous flow? Thanks.

You need to rip the MPEG2 video as a single file first, rather than trying to join the .VOB files up later.

Use DVD Decrypter in IFO mode, and when it’s finishd, simply change the file extension from .vob to .mpg. Then load into MPEG-VW…

[I]I’ve moved this post to the ‘Video Edit’ forum…[/I]

I can’t believe this! It really sucks. I have already spent a lot of time editing the VOB files. Now I have to start all over again? Is there nothing I can do? Even Nero Vision is able to snap VOB files together. This programs must really suck then. I hope there is another solution!

Before you start slagging the program off unnecessarily: do you have the original .VOB files?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2159013]Before you start slagging the program off unnecessarily: do you have the original .VOB files?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do.

Well, it has been weeks and I still did not get any solutions from here. What I did was to use VOBMerge and merge the two VOB files that required a smooth transition. Then edited in MPEG Video Wizard.

My question now is this: when I export the project, should I export it into MPEG-2 with the default settings? I am trying to get the same quality of the video as the original files. Should I make custom settings or use MPEG-4 instead? When I play the MPEG-2 exported file in WM player, the quality seems to be bad and the size small. I don’t know whether that’s because I haven’t burnt it yet or not (deinterlacing things too, though I don’t exactly know what that is).

I hope I can get a quick help with this so i can move on with my project.

Thanks.

Don’t deinterlace unless you absolutely have to. Are you planning on playing this on the computer only, or on a tv? If going to a tv, keep the interlacing.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2165209]Don’t deinterlace unless you absolutely have to. Are you planning on playing this on the computer only, or on a tv? If going to a tv, keep the interlacing.[/QUOTE]
I don’t even know what deinterlacing exactly is. I am trying to preserve the entire quality of the VOB files. I only want to play the video on DVD, not on computer. So I am going to create chapters and then burn a DVD. So is MPEG-2 sufficient? Is that the best quality? Or do I need AVI or MPEG-4?

Best not to convert if you want to preserve the best quality. If your video is presently in dvd-video format (mpeg2 in vob container files) then leave them in this configuration.

There are certain reasons for converting to avi or mp4, like reducing the size of a video, or making it compatible for portable devices, but preserving quality is not one of them.

So converting my VOB to MPEG-2 is the highest quality possible then?

Vob files are just containers for the video. The video is already encoded with the mpeg2 codec, so there is no conversion necessary.

If you want to play the video on a stand alone dvd player, it will have to be in dvd format, which means it has to have the necessary vob, ifo and bup files in a Video_TS folder.

This particular program you are using is both an mpeg2 editor and an authoring program. You can do your editing in it and output in dvd-video format, ready to burn to disk.

And to answer your last question, yes, leaving the video in .vob files as mpeg2 is the best course for maintaining quality of the video.