Mpeg editing program

I have some .dat files on cd-r which won’t copy to the pc hdd.

When playing from cd on each one there is an error at some point and I get:
“There was an error reading from cd-rom” and it stops.

ie @ 27mins 20secs but after that (27mins 40secs onwards say, it plays fine)

Are there any programs that will let me cut the faulty 20seconds or so? or record the first 27mins to hdd, then 29-90mins? (and possibly join again). I have VCDgear but this just converts (I’ve done .dat-mpeg and it doesn’t help)

I realise this is more than likely a bad burn to cd but not having the original file to burn again I wondered if there was anything out there I could try.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi welcome to the forum:)

Does the dat->mpeg do all the disc? If so then try to run mpeg->mpeg with fix mpeg errors on.

Something that has worked for other people is to do a disc to disc copy with ignore error correction, then rip the movie from the new disc.

BTW Tmpenc has got quite good mpeg tools bundled with it that can cut out that 20 or so seconds for you.

Use ISOBuster to extract an MPG file from the DAT (right click the DAt file and select “Extract but only M2F2 mpeg frames”). When it finds an error, you can select Ignore and it continue. Then use your favorite editor to chop the offending bit out.

Originally posted by petera
[B]Hi welcome to the forum:)

Does the dat->mpeg do all the disc? If so then try to run mpeg->mpeg with fix mpeg errors on.

Something that has worked for other people is to do a disc to disc copy with ignore error correction, then rip the movie from the new disc.

BTW Tmpenc has got quite good mpeg tools bundled with it that can cut out that 20 or so seconds for you. [/B]

dat-mpeg brought out a file of similar size to the original (around 750mb) but at the fault the video froze while the timer continued.

So I did mpeg to mpeg with error correction and it cut ererything after fault, so I had 280mb file.

I’ll try without error correction later.

And ChickenMan, I’m downloading that now, thanks.

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile:

750 meg from a 800meg disc image is about right, the rest is all the other files your player needs to play the disc.

Try ChickenMan’s sudgestion as he known more about this sort of thing than anyone else I know:bow:

Originally posted by ChickenMan
Use ISOBuster to extract an MPG file from the DAT (right click the DAt file and select “Extract but only M2F2 mpeg frames”). When it finds an error, you can select Ignore and it continue. Then use your favorite editor to chop the offending bit out.

Okay I got Isobuster;

I open in Isobuster and get in right column:

-CD
>Session 1
>>Track 1

I right click Track 1 and highlight “Extract Track 1>” Then click:
“Treat as Video only, extract but filter only m2f2 mpeg video frames”

I pick a destination folder and it then extracted for 15mins or so and left me with a 0kb mpeg :-\

Did I do it right?
Anything else I can do?

OK try this instead.
Track 1 does not hold the movie, that’s in track 2, but the DAT file is a link to track 2 so either select the DAT file or select track 2 and extract from there.

Try the disk in another CD/DVD reader as it should come up with a bit more than Session 1/Track 1. You sould get a full listing of the cd contects like any other cd.

To get only Session1/Track1 come up tells me the CD itself has problems, I only see that with crappy CD’s that have been burn at very high speeds and readers struggling to read them.