MPEG DVD editing software (magix edit pro)

vbimport

All:
Indeed MPEG editing software Mydvd/ulead give much beter results the editing mpegs in Premier. Ulead seems to give the best results the easiet.
Mydvd has to re-encode to create 16:9 DVD (based n my cameras mpegs)and loses quality.

I looked trial versions of both, in addtion to Magix editPro, which seems like package with alot good features.
I am curious why I dont see any thread about the software.
Does anyone have an opinion on this package?

Yes, they have a very good manula, thats all.

You may want to do some browsing at www.videohelp.com. Magix edit pro is liked by some, but is not considered to be a prosumer or professional type editing software. I would put Ulead Studio 11, above magix edit pro. But as with any software, there are good and bad features for each. A lot of it boils down to what source material you are working with.

For example Adobe Premiere, and Vegas Video, and two of the top softwares, yet neither is the best with working with MPEG2 as a source. But for working with AVI or DV-AVI, both are hard to beat… Womble MPEG is one of the best MPEG2 editing softwares, and there are a few others who are getting good at working with mpeg2. But I personally would not use them for AVI or DV-AVI.

As with anything, you need to know what your intended source will be, what you want to do with the source, and your intended output. By using this formula, the software that works best for you, may not be the one which works best for me.

There are quite a few folks here, who are very good converting video to dvd. But it seems that we all do it a little bit differently. That doesn’t mean that one of us is better than the others. We just have different approaches, and have different requirements of our input/output files…

And it is important to remember, MPEG video was never really intended to be edited when the specs were ratified oh so many years ago. The final output was meant to be the final product. With the increase in DVD camcorders and people trying to chop up DVD video, any DVD Video editing program can not do as good of a job as a good ol’ uncompressed avi editing app (Premiere, Vegas, etc)
as far as Magix, my experience with their software is very unfavorable.

[quote=Daemonicus;2045109]… any DVD Video editing program can not do as good of a job as a good ol’ uncompressed avi editing app (Premiere, Vegas, etc).[/quote]What is the evidence for this assertion?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2045138]What is the evidence for this assertion?[/QUOTE]

What I’m getting at, is a MPEG editing tool can not “in general” do as good of a job at editing as pure uncompressed avi editing program. Since MPEG video is made up of keyframes (I, P, B, etc) you can not always make a cut exactly on the frame you may want. Same goes for avi’s with keyframes (xvid, divx, etc). There are naturally some exceptions like Womble and what not, but the average user becomes frustrated when Nero, Bobs All in One “Video” editing app, etc, do a crappy job for what they are trying to accomplish.
Premiere, Vegas, etc video apps get a bad rap because they can not edit DVD video as well as an uncompressed avi. But those apps are the wrong choice for the average user.

OK then on those criteria I think it is important to make the distinction that there are consumer-level MPEG2 editing tools which can do a good job. Womble MPEG Video Wizard and Video Redo can both edit down to the single frame level and do not re-encode the whole file again; only the parts that are necessary. Even Ulead Movie Factory can offer single-frame edit resolution.

Nero and the like are not really designed as serious editing tools - really more for authoring - and indeed only offer editing resolution down to the GOP level (roughly every 15th frame).

Vegas and Premiere are excellent for uncompressed AV, but are complicated applications so probably not advisable for the beginner.

They’re all good but have obvious limitations; and relative success just depends on the type of starting material, and level of skill of the user.

This idea of “… any DVD Video editing program can not do as good of a job as a good ol’ uncompressed avi editing app (Premiere, Vegas, etc).” is only theoretical…
I’d say that ANY GOOD mpeg editing tool allows you to edit frame by frame regardless of the used compression…