MPEG 2 file too big

vbimport

I’m very new here. I am a sixth grade teacher in Indiana. I am familiar with most computer terminology, and what I don’t understand, I research. I guess that’s why I’m here. My name is Wade, and I’m trying to be increase my video technical aptitude. My problem is with my new software Power Director. I have a 4.45 gig file that I can’t cut anything out of to reduce its size. I want to keep as much quality as I can, but my only option withing Power Director is to reduce the file size to 2.85 gig, under a DVD SP setting. This really reduces the quality and doesn’t utilize the data in my mpeg 2 file, or utilize the 4.7 gig space available on my single layer DVD burner. I’ve contacted Cyberlink…Power Director help, but I think this is the best I can get from this software. Any suggestions for options? Thanks for helping, Wade

If it is a DVD compliant disk ,then use DVDShrink to reduce size!

T0nee1 is right. If it is an mpeg2 in dvd format, DVDShrink is a good, fast solution for what you want to do. If it isn’t already in dvd format, I believe Power Director will output as a dvd, then you can reduce the size.

There are some free dvd authoring tools you could also use, like DVDStyler or GUIforDVDAuthor if you can’t seem to get Power Director to cooperate.

Another choice to reduce the size of the video would be DVDRebuilder. There is a free version of Rebuilder and it includes a couple of free mpeg encoders. I’d use the HC encoder. This process would take a lot longer than Shrink, but the quality you get on most dvds will be slightly better. For the very small amount of compression you need on this particular video, the difference wouldn’t be perceptible.

@kerry56,
good luck wade! but kerry I have both the free and Pro DVDRB and new versions are out!
best regards!!!

First of all, thanks for taking the time to respond guys. I’ve got DVD Shrink, and actually am familiar with it, and it doesn’t seem to recognize any of my mpeg2 files. I can’t see any way to output them as “DVD format” files within Power Director. Is this what I need DVD Styler for? Thanks again, Wade

From Mpeg2 to DVD you need a DVD authoring package.
I’m not familiar with your software so I don’t know if it allows you to create the DVD or not.
Creating a DVD will probably add size to your file so you need either to compress it a bit during the rendering or burn to an image and afterwards burn the image to disk using a program like the one above or similar.
If you have Nero you can do it witn Nerovision and Nero Recode, but you have other options including freeware.
Have a look at www.videohelp.com, where you can find a lot of info and guides.

I looked at the specs for Power Director and it does seem to have the ability to produce dvd files (vob, ifo, bup in a Video_TS folder), but like I said earlier, you can use another authoring program to do this. DVD Styler and GUIforDVDAuthor are free or you could download a trial version of TMPGenc Author to put your mpeg2 files into dvd format.

A good authoring program (unlike Nero) doesn’t reencode your mpeg2 files, so the dvd you produce will probably be too large to fit onto a single layer dvdr without compression. Nero Vision usually does an inferior job compared to most transcoders or encoders I’ve seen, so just make the dvd on your hard drive using one of the authoring tools mentioned, then reduce the size with Nero Recode, DVDShrink or possibly DVDRebuilder (if you prefer using an encoder for this task).

Shoot, I forgot to ask if the mpeg2 files you’ve made with Power Director do actually fit the dvd specifications. Here is a list of the specs over at wikipedia. Look under the headings Video Data and Audio Data. If you’re not sure what you have in your files, open the mpeg files with a utility called Gspot, found here: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ This will tell you all the pertinent details of video resolution, bitrate, frame rate and audio type and bitrate.

Most authoring programs expect the mpeg2 files to already be compliant to the fairly stringent dvd requirements. Nero Vision and some other programs will make sure they are as you author—which can be good or bad depending on your level of experience I guess.