MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 won't play on players? Bad media?

I just burned a movie in two versions, MPEG2 and MPEG4, and neither will play on either one of my standalone players (one very new, one a few years old). I used cheap Ativa DVD-R media. In the past, it seemed to play fine. Does this sound like a media issue? Should I try a Taiyo Yuden (Valu) disc instead?

If you burned straight mpeg2, then it is no surprise it doesn’t work. You need to author the mpeg2 into dvd-video format. (Video_TS folder with the necessary .vob, .ifo and .bup files).

And mpeg4? I suppose some of the newest dvd players may have support for it, but it is not widespread. Does your new player’s manual say anything about mpeg4 playback? Most of what we see for stand alone players (when not using dvd-video) are avi files using either xvid or divx codecs.

Thanks for the response, Kerry. I feel so foolish asking such simple questions, but I’m really new to this. I think at one time I knew to convert it to DVD-Video but totally forgot over time. Now that you’ve reminded me, I’ll go ahead and do that, and I’m sure it will work. I’ll re-post if it doesn’t.