MPAA using bogus websites to nab people

I just posted the article MPAA using bogus websites to nab people.

One thing the MPAA has realised is that if a popular movie sharing website is shutdown, its former users will start looking elsewhere to download and upload movies. So, in an aim to catch those…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13505-MPAA-using-bogus-websites-to-nab-people.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13505-MPAA-using-bogus-websites-to-nab-people.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

user beware! let that be a lesson to anybody that doesn’t read EULA’s and privacy policies…and if they don’t got one, RUN AWAY!

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Apparently not to the MPAA.

“The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.”

I believe that this is called entrapment, and you can counter sue for invasion of privacy since looking into your computer without consent or a search warrant violates your civil right to privacy…

This isn’t entrapment and that is the problem. Entrapment defense applies to Government agents who’s design is aimed at criminal prosecution. However, the MPAA using questionable techniques to gain access to, hack into or obtain computer data on your machine may well be illegal. I would love to be enlighten so that I might grasp how the MPAA rationalizes this activity as any more legitimate than a hacker intruding into the MPAA computers. The idea that Dan Glickman, an ex congressman, government official and now a honcho at the MPAA, would allow his organization to engage in this sleazy activity only serves to reflect on his own integrity. It is one thing for the MPAA to send its agents out on the street to obtain evidence of sales of illegal copies. It is one thing to monitor pirate rings and manufacturers of pirated product. However, the idea that the MPAA would commission to design a web site, invite people to connect and then intrude into the contents of individual computers containing private computer data, without explicit consent, (while employing a subterfuge) is a new low for the MPAA organization. If the movie industry is so desperate that it has to hack individual computers to see if there might be a copy of a movie then it probably needs to consider how such activity could ever justify the end result. In a day of hometheater and convergence of mutimedia it is beyond me that the MPAA would fail to consider the concept that a consumer might wish to store a copy in his hard drive for personal use. This MPAA activity is simply pathetic and sleazy. Surely it is below the ethical standards of a previous cabinet level official. Mr. Glickman would be well advised to look closely at the backlash the RIAA is experiencing and consider if the MPAA can afford the negative impact this unscrupulous activity will have once an informed public reacts. This activity will not go unnoticed or unpunished by consumers.
This message was edited at: 07-07-2007 00:42

some facts: the website was called: miivi.com which is currently inoperable but parked on: godaddy.com and was registered through: domainsbyproxy.com http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/results.jsp?domain=miivi.com

entrapment One entry found for entrapment. Main Entry: en·trap·ment Pronunciation: -m&nt Function: noun 1 a : the action or process of entrapping b : the condition of being entrapped 2 : the action of luring an individual into committing a crime in order to prosecute the person for it Sounds like it to me according to the 2nd definition.

Sorry, but entrapment requires that government officials or agents are part of the criminal design and that it is aimed at “criminal” prosecution. The MPAA is neither an agent of the government, nor are they in a position to prosecute in a criminal court. They may initiate a lawsuit, but this is only a civil action. In this situation entrapment is not a defense. A juror in a civil action may use independent judgment in determining if a plaintiff’s conduct was reprehensible, but there is no entrapment defense. Civil action is not criminal prosecution. There are some cursory legal definitions of entrapment here: http://www.answers.com/topic/entrapment?cat=biz-fin

If any of those spyware bills the US congress is working on make it into the law books, this MPAA activity will be a criminal offense for sure.

Unbleivable. Scan my computer for content !?! They are the criminals ! Forgive me, but all I can think to express at this late hour is F*** these a$$holes
This message was edited at: 08-07-2007 08:44

as i said: read the terms of use, privacy policy, or EULA for everything and anything. you’d be surprised what it contains (or doesn’t). next time you want a laugh, read Google’s! the way it’s worded is that any system connected to Google’s network (ie. your computer when you use their software) contains information at Google’s disposition (translation: they own it). also, by agreeing to their EULA’s, you can’t charge them with breach of trust for information disclosed to them. try comparing that to Microsoft’s privacy policy some day and you’ll see that because of the amount of scrutiny Microsoft is under, they are very open about their privacy policy, and that’s why installing their software requires several “I agree” clicks and EULA pages. you can study it, and it reveals no hidden agenda. …and Google wants to replace Vista’s desktop search with their own so as to index everything on a hard drive. NOT ON MY COMPUTER!! :X Google is evil :d , despite their “Do No Evil” mantra (how much trust can you put in a company if they have to remind themselves?). just look at their Google Book Search for proof of that - stealing book contents without author’s permissions. for another laugh: Google is now partnered with Apple… :+ Welcome to Spyware 2.0. Welcome to the new Mac.

As Iron Maiden say, YOU’RE TIME WILL COME !!! :X

IT is quite obvious to anyone who has half a brain. Use FTP. Do not use P2P, and be very cautious about using bittorrent. Do not up or download to a site that actually claims it is for uploading or downloading pirated content. Most net communities dedicated to the underground net do not advertise that fact.

So who is going to be the first one to “upload” a movie to thier website that is actually a Trojan iteself and wipe thier entire system or some other fun thing? Turn around not fair play in this case?

So who is going to be the first one to “upload” a movie to thier website that is actually a Trojan iteself and wipe thier entire system or some other fun thing? Turn around not fair play in this case?

Sadly , when browsing through movie torrent database on “the pirate bay” , I noticed some member user feedback comments. The boys at Pirate Bay run a very tight ship indeed , since the Swedish Government is seeking wipe them off the face of the earth! In one case a provider of known good quality DVD rips in xvid format , has had his/her user name stolen , and the name superxungo!(or something similar like that keeps coming up as bad news) supplies movies ??? as .rar compressed files which is pass word protected and none of the normal nfo files that come with most bit torrent files! Further, a request to download that very questionable torrent down loader POS called “Bitgrabber” (it loads more evil junk than you think on the host computer including pop up adware crap too! ) Yes , they have indeed set up a nice honey trap , complete with fake forum and the other whole nine yards , play everyone for suckers , those that use this dodgy software! Thankfully programs like Peerguardian2 with it’s various IP blacklists comes in handy! , and can stop a fair percentage of these wankers dead in their tracks! Hopefully , if several counter law suits invoking “RICO” pan out and sink the RIAA , this type of rubbish will go down with the ship so as to speak!

Suckers of satans cock, suck that black worm jisum! :r