MPAA targets Usenet - files lawsuit against news servers

Just saw this over at BetaNews. I have no idea of course what impact this will have. However, we have been wondering when they would turn to these news servers and threaten legal action. Looks like the uber aggressive MPAA at least has had enough and filed suit!

thank god for european servers (BT) i guess… sheesh the MPAA is really going too far with all this s#!$!!!

Thanks for the Info Crabbyappleton Yes a lot of people have been thinking the same thing and if News Servers will ever came under attack from the MPAA. It will be very interesting to see what happens and how far will the MPAA try and go. Looks like they are trying to close down the whole Net. Please keep us informed on what happens.

from IsoHunt:

As Reported Everywhere, MPAA issued a press release that thay are now suing isoHunt.com, TorrentBox.com, and a number of other BitTorrent, eDonkey and Newsgroup indexing sites. I still have yet to receive a formal cease and desist letter directly from MPAA Legal, but all seems to indicate this is for real and it’s only a matter of time.

This is somewhat a followup to the series of MPAA letters we’ve received a year ago.

At this point, it is still uncertain what they are actually suing us for, considering we have a thorough copyright policy outlining our stance and takedown procedures. It is sad that despite our best efforts in helping out copyright owners, in both disabling copyright infringing links to their works everyday while for others, helping them distribute their works globally and cheaply using P2P technologies, it is still not enough for the MPAA. Have they ever learned from the VCR or Napster? When will corporations stop fighting technology and learn to embrace it?

To this end, us, isoHunt.com and TorrentBox.com, are forming a coalition together with other P2P operators being sued and yet to be sued, and if possible with the help of the EFF, we will fight for the right for technological progress and the legality of the search engine itself. It is too early right now to say what we need for help from you, but if the MPAA will not back down, I’m sure we are going to need your help. And no, we will not go the way of LokiTorrent or Suprnova.

Anyways, nobody panic, and let the torrents flow. If you like to talk to us live and chat with other fellows in the community, come chat on IRC on #isoHunt on P2P-IRC (SSL enabled on port 7000, you need an IRC client like mIRC ). We’ll update as we learn more.

I think the news is really that they’ve filed suit (allegedly) against sites that index newsgroup content. If they’re suing news servers then they’re going after nearly all ISP’s.

It would be very hard for them to be suing the news server operators, because as was pointed out that list includes… every decent-sized ISP in the world.

From what I’ve read, it seems they’re suing index sites. This is nothing new.