MPAA says film piracy is robbing American workers

vbimport

MPAA says film piracy is robbing American workers.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/09/zfkK3L.jpg[/newsimage]The Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) is directly tied to 2.4 million U.S. jobs and leads to $80 billion to the nation's economy.  There is still an underlying threat of Internet piracy that causes lower box office and DVD/Blu-ray sales, and the MPAA wants to make sure it tells the public about it.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-says-film-piracy-is-robbing-american-workers-34009/](http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-says-film-piracy-is-robbing-american-workers-34009/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I think that was a headline typo… not film piracy, but film pricing. Screw the MPAA and RIAA.

Actually with this whole recession people aren’t doing it all anymore but spending more conservatively. I knew a headline like this would come up soon. Oh let’s not forget who wants to watch step - up in 3-D after it has been released forever for an example.

Well, since the RIAA and MPAA are robbing American workers too, I guess we are all even. More pathetic BS from the scum of the Earth.

Money doesn’t just go poof. If people aren’t spending 80 billion on movies/cd’s, they’re spending it something else. Its more like a transfer from one sector to a different sector.

I severly doubt it causes job loss. It might in the music/movie sector, but it would be created somewhere else.

The savings rate in the US is pretty low, so people are still spending those dollars somewhere.

Internet piracy created the MPAA’s and the RIAA’s jobs, so thats kind of ironic.

[QUOTE=SithTracy;2542469]I think that was a headline typo… not film piracy, but film pricing.[/QUOTE]

So true :iagree: :iagree:

And as to the Job loss yeah like I believe what the MPAA/RIAA tells us has any truth in it. They couldn’t give a detail accounting to the US GAO so how did they come up with false numbers??? One has to ask that question…

Make better movies, and people will show up. Don’t use 3D as a gimmick. While you’re at it, don’t be a greedy bastard. (Avatar- Special Edition Imax)
Don’t blame piracy. Blame stupidity and greed!

Guess the MPAA will be lobbying the Gov for a bailout or assistance to “Get Amerika working again” and asking for even more jack booted legislation…

It’s a bunch of hog wash .They are just feeding everybody a bunch of crap.they aren’t selling tickets because they have priced everyone out.I can’t afford to go to the movies or to a concert.I’d love to go see a flix but i’m not going to go and drop a 100 dollars.

Yeah if the theaters would drop the price down to go see a movie
and if the studios would drop the price down to buy a movie to a
normal hard working person’s budget then things would be a lot
different on the piracy front. :iagree:

But that would take the cooperation of the movie studios and the actors
to settle for a little less money going into their pockets and that just ain’t
gonna happen anytime soon. :disagree:

The only way I ever see that happening is when the time comes that every
one joins in together and stops going and paying the exorbitant prices to
see or buy a movie now days then maybe they will all take notice and have
a change of heart on the prices they charge and actually pay the actors what
they are really worth. :confused:

That is also one of the reasons I quit watching and supporting professional
sports years ago because the athletes think they are all worth millions upon
millions of dollars a year in their contracts. :a

What if the athletes and the studio execs and the actors had to scratch out a
living on say $1200.00 per month or less like a lot of the hard working American
people have to maybe they’d change their tune. :sad: :rolleyes:

That’s what gets my goat the athletes wants to have extra millions a year on top
of what they are over paid to do now or they go on strike and the actors have to
have so many millions offered to them before they will consider doing a movie and
the studio fat cats just want it all and screw the working people. :a :rolleyes:

Amen brother

I have to agree with getit29 on the price of seeing a movie in the cimema. My son took his girlfriend to the movies on Friday nite, it cost me 50 USD and all they did was have a little snack ( popcorn and soda and the price of the tickets. The tickets were 13.50 each. He only makes a little more than that an hour at his part time job after school, so you know who had to pay. Me. and I didnt even get to see the movie. :doh:

I hear that Alan… My kids don’t date (too young… and even if they weren’t I won’t let them until they are 40! LOL) We usually hit a family movie and try to hit a matinée. Still, we are looking at about a $70 afternoon with movie tickets and a popcorn and soda to share (+bottled water for me). That’s nuts. Same with sports… I’m a huge NHL and MLB fan in the Chicago market. Can’t afford to take the family to but one game per year. Things are not priced for the middle class anymore, they are priced for wealthy corporations to buy up. I’m starting to wonder where the middle class is going. It’s our jobs American corporations are outsourcing and eliminating. Hell, even TV is nuts for the price they are asking and we are getting advertised to! Come on… shouldn’t the crappy advertising drastically offset the price of television? We as consumers just sit there and take it and there is not enough that care enough to take a meaningful stand. All the while our freedoms are being consumed by lobbyist that have corporate interest in mind and a politician/senator looking for campaign dollars to smear another lie to keep them in office to continue representing the corporation. It stopped being “We, the people” a long time ago. Just hope my kids can take it back, but with what is being stripped from the education system, (history in fact) they won’t know how.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana

Are you seriously going to tell me that these highway robing ticket prices, $5.50 soda pops and $10.00 buckets of popcorn do nothing to combat the effects of piracy? **** that shut Hollywood down already. Those idiots can’t make it no matter how much money they get…

As a Consumer I say MPAA is robbing All workers and Consumers.
I don’t feel sorry for those poor actors who will now only get $15 Million for 6 weeks work instead of $20 Million and will have to do it tough and go for the cheap Caviar and Champagne rather than the good stuff.

I do not go to the movies as they are just too expensive, instead I wait a couple of weeks until it is on DVD at the rental shop and hire it for $1 for 24 HRS on cheap day, + $5 for food and drink.
Why would I pay $20+ to see it at the movies with small drink and popcorn, interruptions etc, when for $6 I can see it at home with friends and a Large bottle of drink, popcorn, and other nibbles in comfort.
That is why people are not going to the movies, so they are calling that piracy are they? Greedy Morons!

[QUOTE=alan1476;2542636]I have to agree with getit29 on the price of seeing a movie in the cimema. My son took his girlfriend to the movies on Friday nite, it cost me 50 USD and all they did was have a little snack ( popcorn and soda and the price of the tickets. The tickets were 13.50 each. He only makes a little more than that an hour at his part time job after school, so you know who had to pay. Me. and I didnt even get to see the movie. :doh:[/QUOTE]

When I read what you wrote I was about to **& my pants… :doh: Over where I am at I think they still are 9USD currently but 13.50USD you got to be kidding… no wonder the pirates are raking in the profits…the studio are shooting themselves in the foot. The last time I went to the movie was 8 years ago. Now that is long… :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2542911] The last time I went to the movie was 8 years ago. Now that is long… :p[/QUOTE]

It has been a little over 15 years since I went to the theater to see a movie I
decided it was to expensive to go even back then. Of coarse the movies were
a little bit better back then than the crap they are putting out now and calling
it a movie but they still weren’t worth the cost. :disagree:

the down fall I think was with the wages and maybe companies like nexflix.Things are suppose to be getting easier and nexflix does save on gas, time and money.So where does these record companies get off everybody is hurting not just them.

I say there are several contributing factors that have lead to a decrease in movie revenue.

Piracy is only part of the problem . . . it’s all of those people who smuggle in their own snacks that are to blame.