MPAA, RIAA celebrate controversial new 'Copyright Alert System'

vbimport

MPAA, RIAA celebrate controversial new ‘Copyright Alert System’.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/07/Z8gv8W.jpg[/newsimage]Global discussion on how - or if - Internet Service Providers should police the web has reached a fever pitch over the past few weeks. Reports out of Ireland illustrated some pitfalls with the concept, while a UK hearing in June saw copyright defenders seeking an injunction against British ISP which would require the company to cut-off access to usenet index site Newzbin. In the U.S., a deal struck this week between several companies including AT&T, Comcast and Cablevision could see those accused of illegally downloading copyrighted content hit with email alerts and internet speed reductions. The MPAA and RIAA - key backers of the new anti-piracy offensive - shared their thoughts on the so-called "Copyright Alert System."

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-riaa-celebrate-controversial-new-copyright-alert-system-48174/](http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-riaa-celebrate-controversial-new-copyright-alert-system-48174/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’m not going to advocate piracy, but I’m well aware that it was largely responsible for the growth of broadband early on. IE when dialup was just starting to swtich over to broadband, there wasn’t any legal content, not anything that really needed superfast speeds. Broadband was pushed to the geeks and the teksavvy, and target the people that knew how to pirate stuff online.

Now it seems piracy is probably affecting the bottom lines of these companies, as alot of them sell both internet and tv services. So piracy can hurt cable/satellite tv. So they now have a vested interested in stopping piracy (where before they were profiting from it).

I guess my point is. Its those same people that are going to tell their friends/family which isp to go to. If the DSL/Cable/Fibre ISPs in any area don’t all jump on board, its a pretty good bet, that they’ll lose alot of business from people flocking to the isps that aren’t signing up for this deal.

This just ups the ante and a new file sharing technology will emerge. Then the dance starts all over again.

Zod, Well Said!!!

Maybe if they didn’t charge like $20+ to buy a movie, they’d get more sales. Maybe if ticket prices weren’t like $12+ a ticket, people would go to more movies.

I’m not going to be one of those people who claim that piracy is beneficial, but in certain cases, it can be. Does anyone know the band Dispatch? They only became known through the use of Napster. They used to argue for piracy because they never would have become known without it. Incidentally, they’re also one of my favorite bands.

If these companies would just wake up and reduce prices on various items maybe, just maybe piracy would go down and they wouldn’t be forced to spend millions fighting an unwinnable war.

[QUOTE=justcallmebob;2596206]If these companies would just wake up and reduce prices on various items [B]maybe, just maybe piracy would go down[/B] and they wouldn’t be forced to spend millions fighting an unwinnable war.[/QUOTE]

If you believe that then you have little understandingt of greed, piracy is all about getting something for “Free” and/or selling it for profit.

If this progresses some companies will offer cheap encrypted VPN and other methods of completely encrypted tcp/ip traffic. In a while everything and anything will be completely encrypted, thus making any kind of spying and hunting for illegal information a very costly business. No Deep Packet Inspection can handle that.

Well all I know is as soon as Blu Ray movies finally broke the 20 or less barrier for a everything brand new movie I started buying them even though I’ve owned a player and burner for quite a while. I like having my own original hard copy as long as the price is fair for what you get I’ll just buy it. I will not pay 30 bucks for just a HD movie but 19 or less depending on the movie seems OK to me and once I have it I can watch it any time I want.
I mostly don’t buy DVD’s any more and same for audio CD’s as I don’t want a crappy low res copy of a movie, or a CD that has maybe 1 song I’ll like for many times close to what I can buy a movie in HD with a bunch of extras and great audio.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2596221]If you believe that then you have little understandingt of greed, piracy is all about getting something for “Free” and/or selling it for profit.[/QUOTE]

I never said it would stop altogether . . . I’m not that naive. But I do believe that if the prices were changed it would go down to a point that these companies would stop devoting so much of their time and wasting resources at many levels to fight it.