MPAA head warns against removing geo-blocking in Europe

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: MPAA head warns against removing geo-blocking in Europe[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/06/MPAA_LOGO-95x75.png[/newsimage]
[quote][/quote]
Read the full article here: http://www.myce.com/news/mpaa-head-warns-removing-geo-blocking-europe-79763/

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

MPAA CEO Chris Dodd
What a fruit cake… :Z

maintaining control of the distribution in ways to maximize profits for the movie studios.
Biggest reason to remove Geo Blocks…if those movies are so good the consumer will pay to see it. :Z

Dodd warns that fewer movies will be released, and prices will increase.
last I saw torrent was growing and growing… :wink:

Dodd based part of this assertion on a study done by Oxera which seems to support his thoughts that releasing movies simultaneously across Europe would have deleterious effects. One should note however, that the study was: [I]Prepared for a group of members of the international audio visual industry. [/I]This means the study was almost certainly paid for and presented to the MPAA or some of its members and thus is hardly objective.
Why am I not surprised… :Z

Dodd asserted that: “The European Union is made up of 28 different nations with different cultures, different languages, and different tastes. Forcing every film to be marketed and released the same way everywhere, at the same time, is a recipe for failure.”
Really is that the best he can come up with? Free market will determine if you make it or break it. If he can’t see that then the MPAA business is already broken… :stuck_out_tongue:

Last I looked the sky isn’t falling… :smiley:

Dodd asserted that: “The European Union is made up of 28 different nations with different cultures, different languages, and different tastes. Forcing every film to be marketed and released the same way everywhere, at the same time, is a recipe for failure.”

Donald Tusk won’t like that statement…:bigsmile:

If they do away with geo-blocking, Dodd warns that fewer movies will be released, and prices will increase.
They can charge what they want, that does not mean the public has to pay it and then where would they be if they decide not to. Fewer movies might just be a good thing.

Geo blocking is as artificial and alienating as is possible out here. If anything at all, it only promotes piracy.

I don’t see myself as paricularly Norwegian when I enter the online world, more so I see myself as one of you regardless of your country of origin. Then I get to hear that some of us have access to contents I am not allowed to see or hear :confused:

Not that I am in a rush to get access to it for the most, but think about fans… Where there is a need, there is a way. All the way from circumventing geo-blocks to illegal download sites and file sharing. When will they realize that working against human nature simply will not work :rolleyes:

As for increasing prices - Absolute rubbish , people will only pay a reasonable price, or the sales starts to decline. That is the fact.

The only thing surprising to me is that anyone cares, or even takes note of anything the head of the MPAA has to say.

Dodd asserted that: “The European Union is made up of 28 different nations with different cultures, different languages, and different
tastes.

27 now, we are out :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=CDan;2776802]The only thing surprising to me is that anyone cares, or even takes note of anything the head of the MPAA has to say.[/QUOTE]

We don’t care about his nonsense…we just like to mock him…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=CDan;2776802]The only thing surprising to me is that anyone cares, or even takes note of anything the head of the MPAA has to say.[/QUOTE]
No one does, we moved on and so has torrents they come and go. The only one concerned is MPAA.

Hopefully, the people at CineEurope won’t be stupid enough to listen to this nonsense. Pretty much any “study” the MPAA cites is going to directly contradict what a free society would do. So, of course they’re going to have to produce fake studies. After all, there probably aren’t many legitimate studies that go against human nature in the specific way Hollywood wants.[QUOTE=Xercus;2776791]Geo blocking is as artificial and alienating as is possible out here. If anything at all, it only promotes piracy.[/QUOTE]This should be considered to be common sense by now. Saying that piracy is encouraged by lack of access to works should be like saying the sky is blue. Why Hollywood won’t admit this is beyond me.[quote=Xercus;2776791]As for increasing prices - Absolute rubbish, people will only pay a reasonable price, or the sales starts to decline. That is the fact.[/quote]Indeed, if Hollywood were to charge $75 for a movie (or whatever the equivelent is in any given non-US currency), no one would want to buy these movies. That would mean the (well-deserved) end of Hollywood, which the MPAA wouldn’t want.[QUOTE=beef barley;2776771]They can charge what they want, that does not mean the public has to pay it and then where would they be if they decide not to. Fewer movies might just be a good thing.[/QUOTE]Hollywood’s quantity-over-quality approach has baffled me for a long time. People have been complaining about the crappiness of movies for so long, with movies only getting crappier. At the same time, revenues for movies have been dropping rapidly. Gee, could there be a relationship between these facts?